Getting back to France again in pandemic times

John, to continue the grammar theme of earlier, it may be that there is a creature out there, The Lesser Spotted Kenneth. But as for how many we hope for, fewer rather than lesser, is the better.

In a futile attempt to make this point at Tesco, back-along, having nothing better to think about, when I got to the till of a checkout for ‘10 items or less’ I said to the woman at the till, "That sign is wrong. It should be ‘10 items or fewer’ "

"Oh yes love. Terrible it is. They come here with bloody trolleys-full … "

But it’s OK. The last retail refuge of Guardian-standard English can be found “10 items or fewer” - at Waitrose. :rofl:

2 Likes

Graham, should that not be “willy waving post of certain members”?

2 Likes

Waitrose? Well, as ever, you gets what you pays for.

Kenneth, as you want to come back to France via Spain, I gave you my experience.
As a French resident we don’t pay for the Covid test in France.
France has clearly stated that anyone enter France by land boarders need to provide a negative Covid test or risk 10 days quarantine paid by oneself.
The banner over the motorway just before Spain also remind one to return with a negative test.
From tomorrow 30/3/21 according to “Locale Spain” anyone enter Spain by land need to provide a test due to the increase of cases.
Yes I’m European (Danish) but my husband is British.
If you are French resident with proof of address and provide a negative PCR test done within 72 hours, you should not have a problem.
The document from : https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/content/download/125994/1007812/file/26-01-2021-outre-mer-engagement-sur-l-honneur-plus-de-11-ans.pdf

5 Likes

I LOVE Denmark! I was an exchange student there for a year and had the most wonderful year! I was in Vordingborg.

1 Like

I came back from Les last Saturday, via car, passed through the checkpoint at 13h30. All of the agents were seated in the guardhouse having lunch - I drove right on through without so much as a glance. If you’re driving, time the crossing at mid dejeuner.

1 Like

If you are feckin brilliant why do you even have to ask us? With all your access to scientific data cant you make a phone call to the border agencies.

Thanks Gitte,
Very kind of you to respond here. Although various people have told me that by land route no PCR test is required but it is better to have a certification to avoid annoyance. That seems to be general good advice.
Wish you an enjoyable week now that good weather has returned to France!

1 Like

Not sure what you mean but clearly nothing to take seriously. Wish you a nice day.

Sorry to have confused you Hearne. Just ignore me, nothing of importance.

It’s traditional to call members by their first name or at least their full name :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks Don,
That’s a good tip. Nice to see some sensible responses here!

Love it John. You’re brilliant.

A really good tip in the Tip Jar at the top of the page on the right would be much appreciated by the Team, I’m sure :wink:

Hallo John,
No idea how to reach the border guards. If you read the posts then it is fairly clear what the best method is. Best of luck with your posting.

That’s the first sensible thing you’ve written Kenny :slightly_smiling_face: Keep up the good work.

3 Likes

No worries, Keen, I have a keen sence of humour and will happily ignore you and your importance!

1 Like

You must be a John le Carré fan Don :slightly_smiling_face:

Kenneth, you could be “the holidaymaker who came in from the heat”. Don’t forget your trench coat and trilby. :male_detective:

Suggested music for the border crossing…

1 Like

@anon61213107

4 Likes

There’s so much to like about the Danes. A generalisation, I know but some people just seem to deserve extra love.

I had a Danish engineer as a house mate for several months. We became fast friends and I was invited to his wedding.

One of the aspects of the wedding breakfast that struck me was that all the speeches - there were 5 -6 - could have been given in English. Everyone present spoke it very well. That would have resulted in everyone understanding them, including me, the only person in the room who did not understand them in Danish!

2 Likes