Global electricity map

An interesting site…

4 Likes

France appears to be commendably green.

Although I think this is because there is a preponderance of nuclear - personally I think it has a bad press but not sure the environmentalists agree.

3 Likes

Yes, France stands out among the rest and is exporting. Around 74% of electricity generation is nuclear - zero CO2 emissions. Around 7% is hydro.

If you tap on the country a breakdown pops up. France looks about 80% nuclear. Poland is about 80% coal!

1 Like

Very interesting Fleur.

1 Like

That’ll be because the coal deposits in Poland are so close to the surface, you can almost plough it up.

Colour me shocked that China has not supplied any data.

4 Likes

Fascinating. Australia has outdone itself in how appaulling it is :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Other than the couple of areas that made it into top spots on the whole list!!

Tory :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nuclear is almost CO2 zero… Yes, it has it’s own waste disposal/containment issues, but France is about 89% nuke power, they seem to handle the waste without mass protests all the time
Friends live 5km from a nuke generator near pont st esprit… there are no issues they know of…
They do know if they hear the air raid siren. it could be game over

2 Likes

As I said nuclear gets a bad press - largely because of well known significant incidents such as Windscale, Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima - but press people and I’ll bet they can’t name many more. It’s the same problem that leads people to be wary of aeroplane flight but blasé regarding the risks of travelling in a car because most road accidents do not become national news.

1 Like

Just read this fascinating, scary article…

Why scary? We are at a point of no return on climate. The big rich and powerful oil and gas industries are finished and although they keep trying to push hydrogen they just cant win on that either.

Whilst it has been necessary the cost of these plants is often hidden from view and then the huge decommissioning cost also. If the total of those two was spent on renewables you’d even get some change. Studies by Cambridge have outlined this on a documentary I caught a while back.

This posting topic has come at the same time as the annual energy price reviews. Of interest to me from my job in UK ; the first thing that springs to mind is the obvious question: why has the price of electricity in France gone up so much?

Many euro countries - and particularly UK - have seen the same or more (UK) price rises. All put down to the large increases in price of gas to Europe from Russia.

But gas is not used for electricity production in France.

1 Like

Could the UK price of electricity have something to do with that company over there that supplies a lot of it, They call it EDF but for the life of me I dont know what the letters stand for :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

We’re paying a lot of taxes.

1 Like

Much easier to understand

1 Like

A mixed supply from nuclear and wind/ solar is probably the future. Nuclear fusion may be the future but we need to have something before it becomes readily available for commercial energy production.

2 Likes

China is about to test their thorium reactor.

Renewables such as tidal and wind energy can’t be relied on 24/7/365 as this year’s blackouts during the Texan cold snap have shown. You have to have another way of generating emergency power that isn’t weather dependant.

1 Like

The Texas blackout had multiple causes - structurally rooted actually in the extreme for-profit exploitative and poorly managed generation industry they relied on - but the immediate cause was actually the failure of the largest power source in the state, at the South Texas Nuclear Generating Station - after a small section of pipe froze!

1 Like