Going feral

The problem we have is 5 of our cats were feral farm cats some 8 years old, they sometimes “forget” to go outside to pee and some of the rugs can make ideal litter trays for them, once we cure them of this we will go back to rugs, the kittens either go outside are use the litter tray.

I’m a dog person with a big garden, and a parc 5mins from my house, I’m lucky that my Boxer is really good where the toilet is concerned, I never see her poop, she’s very discrete,
Cats on the other hand, don’t get me started on cats :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Being a farm we inherited them, they were here before us and do a fantastic job with the vermin in the barns, hangers, garages, stables and outbuildings :sunglasses:

Very practical in your situation, I inherited mine as well, she just sat crying at my salon window 2 years ago and has never left me, but she is a biter and a scratcher, my dog loves her, but she hates me, hey ho, nobody ever said adoption was easy

The two older sister we nicknamed crabbit 1 & 2, they were bad tempered hissing nipping getts, now that they realise if they do that they get put out in the cold, they have really softened, will let you stroke them now.
Food, comfort and heat is a big draw for them now and we are having to get them out of the 8 years of feral life, fighting everyday to survive and getting used to an easier life as they have never been petted or handled in their lives, it just takes time.

Just make sure you do understand it before you start any of your own install. DC power at this level burns unlike AC that tickles letting you know you have done somthing silly.

Going back to the insulation, think I’ll bite the bullet and remove part of the plasterboard to the internal wall lining, which is fixed to metal stud, and add insulation. For the ceiling, my thought was to remove the fibre cement panels on the roof, whihc sit to the underside of the clay roof tiles, and add insulation from the top. Both jobs fill me with a little dread, as I live in the countryside, and plenty plenty of wild creatures around, and I’m sure they’ll love finding an open hotel! :smiley: One of those jobs you know you need to do, but easy to put off :scream:

I’m good at putting things off, so maybe I could help you, how does 2030 sound :joy:

just fell off the chair :joy:

Ask yourself is it worth doing if global warming is going to have as big effect as they say :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

Forum photovoltaïque - Page d’index This is the best site for any questions you have regarding photovoltaics , theres a full section regarding off grid solutions. I used the forum myself as I produce electricity and I got all the info I needed to set up a contract with enerdis. All the calculators and battery solutions are discussed by professionals and you will get a better perspective of getting your off-grid solution going from a french perspective.

That’s the one, thanks digitracker, nice one, a comprehensive guide Evan I can understand, cheers​:+1::+1::+1:

I think you still need to ensure airflow is not blocked? Especially in an older.building

1 Like

Hi Pip1000.
I recently installed my own 3kW system. It doesn’t have battery so anything I don’t use, EDF get to sell. However, all excess is currently diverted to the hot water tank. It is very straight forward, and the system is registered with Enedis (which is required, but costs nothing). I bought the parts from https://www.monkitsolaire.fr and created wooden frames to mount them all. Cost about 2800 euros in total. Anything over 3kW connecting to the grid becomes riddled with bureaucracy, and costs rise.
However, a battery setup would cost more.
This is also a useful website https://apresdemain28.wixsite.com/website/photovoltaique, especially the instructions on how to modify the French style hot water tanks https://apresdemain28.wixsite.com/website/modification-chauffe-eau

1 Like

We had a system similar to this in the 1980s. One solid fuel cooker in the kitchen … it was a Sunbeam, and allegedly from the 1930s … which ran not just hot water, but radiators upstairs. This was all done by a very jerry rigged heat exchanger without any pump that looked extremely dodgy. But it worked, so I left it alone.

1 Like

Cheers Peter, will look into it, you’ve all been very helpful,
Thanks a lot :+1::+1::+1:

You will need planning permission for this (permis de construire). If you find you land you should make sure it has, or can get, outline planning permission for what you want to build. ( That is a CU or Certificat d’Urbanisme) If the land does not have that, which is most likely, make sure that any contract you sign has a suspensive clause ( clause suspensive) which makes your purchase conditional on getting the permission(s) you require. These are usually time sensitive. In the event that you don’t, then the sale contract will become null and void. Just be careful. Good luck.

In a new building, which this would be, and subject to the latest planning rules, you can no longer install such a solid fuel stove/cooker. If the building is properly designed it should need little or no heating.

Small correction, on the roof any installation needs planning permission, but on the ground and less than 1M80 in height it does not. Voilà.

Thanks Tim - in fact just looked back at the reference I followed, which I assume remains relevant - key differences are which side of 3Kw the installation is + if it’s in a conservation area or not:

RELEVANT EXTRACT

5.3.9. Solar Panels

The rules concerning the installation of solar panels depend on where they are installed, their capacity and whether or not it is in a conservation area.

Within a conservation area the installation of solar panels on the roof requires a planning application; the same applies if they are installed on the ground with a power capacity equal to or greater than 3KW.

Outside of a conservation area you are required to submit a works declaration for their installation on the roof; the same applies to their installation on the ground if they have a height greater than 1.80m and a power capacity less than 3KW.

If they are less than 1.80m in height, but with a power capacity greater than 3KW, then a works declaration is also necessary.

If the installation is less than 3KW power capacity and a height less than 1.80m, then any installation on the ground requires no consent, unless it is located within a conservation area.