Good grief.... I agree with Gavin Williamson and the Telegraph

And also within the context of that specific time…

3 Likes

Allowances are made for different religious groups all the time so why should schools be any different?

I must admit I almost had second thoughts - but maybe Gav was having an infinite monkey cage moment, when at random he got something right.

Interesting philosophical question.

The present controversy at least shows the enormous difference on the topic of free speech between France and the UK.

But I think you’ve missed the point of the article, Sue - the historians are, precisely, trying to explore the whole reality of Churchill - good and bad; conservative media and other individuals and organisations - such as the right-wing think-tank Policy Exchange - which is very close to the Tory party and Johnson government - are trying to censor them.

The point I was making - and evidencing by linking the article and new policing guidance - is that attempts to impose the ‘correct’ line, or ‘cancel’ alternative views, can come from any direction - and often come most virulently from those who see themselves as defending traditional western or British values - adding the wrong of hypocrisy to the wrong of censorship.

Surely removing ‘slave trader’ statues or any reference to how individuals obtained their wealth is also a form of censorship?

I don’t think so. Nobody is stopping people studying history or telling the truth by removing a statue. It’s not a censorship issue at all if you think about it - statues of the Colston or Rhodes kind are about honouring people, little else. They have no significant historiographic or artistic or free-speech value. The point of removing them is simply that we should not honour slavers.

But there are signs of hope…

Is there a 'wrong ’ kind of censorship? That implies there is a right kind. And altering history is done by all sides of the political divide. I don’t buy that only the ’ right - wing ’ do it. - which is what you seem to be saying. If 'right wing ’ censorship 'is the 'wrong 'kind of censorship - is ’ left wing ’ censorship the ’ right 'kind ?

The likes of Colston were symbols of the slave trade itself so by removing all mention of them from towns and cities the history element could well be lost.

All political censorship is wrong Sue - and all censorship in general has to handled with great care.
You obviously missed the second part of my post you replied to:

The point I was making - and evidencing by linking the article and new policing guidance - is that attempts to impose the ‘correct’ line, or ‘cancel’ alternative views, can come from any direction - and often come most virulently from those who see themselves as defending traditional western or British values - adding the wrong of hypocrisy to the wrong of censorship.

Then put up statues to enslaved people - who really deserve to be honoured. The quayside memorials to slaves carried on ships that called in Nantes is a good example - far more moving, and intelligent, and artistic, and honest than that awful Colston statue - which is now I understand, by the way, being used in exhibitions properly portraying historical reality. Everybody wins!

Only if you are living in Pakistan and Bangladesh.

This is not just about statues Geof. Using Colston as an example again, many references to the name have already been removed in Bristol so within a few years no one will be aware that the city was a major part of the slave trade which is scandalous IMO, there’s even a Colston bun specific to the area that we’ll either be lost or renamed because it’s not PC.

They eat tripe and black puddings in Yorkshire Jane, are you suggesting they should be on the menu at the school? :grinning:

Why not? As long as there is an alternative.
I am having black pudding, bacon and tomato for my breakfast tomorrow.
By the way, tripe comes from cows, so that would be affecting Hindus and not Muslims.

2 Likes

I don’t think so Tim. The curriculum should be the same across the Country. If muslims want to tweak their children then they can do that outside the state schools.

3 Likes

There should be no religion whatsoever in schools. It is a private thing and belief in supernatural beings should be reserved for home. Ethics and how to treat other people with respect ie the way one would wish to be treated does have a place.

8 Likes

Totally agree :sunglasses:, it should be up to the individual to make up their own informed choice once they are old and mature enough instead of being rammed down their throats.

1 Like

Is there not an argument for teaching about the major religions of the world, their histories and beliefs and cultures? Understanding more about religions may help with a little more tolerance of those who are different to “us”, whoever us happens to be. After all, is it not perhaps ignorance, lack of understanding and fear of the unknown that leads, in some part, to prejudice and intolerance?
Izzy x

2 Likes

Well as it’s taught in most schools anyway, it’s obviously not working very well.

1 Like