Good grief.... I agree with Gavin Williamson and the Telegraph

Only to steer clear of them IMO.

1 Like

They are touched on in philosophy. It is difficult to talk about people’s systems of belief in supernatural beings without pointing out they are just a question of belief rather than fact (and that that goes for all such beliefs whether god(s) or santa or the tooth fairy) without offending, so we don’t. It is also difficult to stop proselytising of one sort or another. Religion has no place in school or public life and hasn’t here for over a century. It is private and should stay that way.
And why should the major religions get more attention than eg animism or wicca or the flying spaghetti monster etc, actually they are all on an equal footing and open for discussion.

1 Like

Perhaps in the West - but globally?

That ship sailed decades ago John, in many parts of the UK immigrants now make up the majority of the population so schools have to make some subjects relevant to the pupil demographic and also alter what’s available in the canteen.

So ISIS should be listened to and given a free platform in the UK?

Well what do you think Jane? Do you believe in free speech?

I don’t think that’s true Timothy - source?

I do not believe in the world overthrown by those who would deny free speech and the subjugation of women.

I can live with that Tim but the basic curriculum, IMHO, should be exactly the same. If it’s not that’s a pity and a risk. I wonder if there are regional/ethnic differences in the French state school system? Maybe Vero knows.

1 Like

Well, I’d guess Southall and Bradford for two.

I sincerely hope nobody here believes that Jane - but you dodge the difficult question: do you believe in free speech or not?

If you believe in free speech as you say Geof, you are saying that you would grant it to those whose sole aim is to overthrow any type of authority than their own.
Free speech is a hard won freedom which should not be abused.
Do you think there is free speech in China or Russia?

I do believe in free speech Jane - I’m actually pretty happy with the distinction drawn in French law (and many other legal systems) between ‘free speech’ and ‘hate speech’ - so no, I don’t believe in the political censorship of ideas or arguments just because they are coming from a different political or cultural perspective. (You seem to be saying you do believe in political/cultural censorship - am I right?)
I have no objection to hearing views that I find abhorrent - as long as they don’t directly threaten or incite others to threaten innocent people - but that would be illegal in France anyway.

Now you are bringing the distinction between free speech and hate speech into the argument.
It would have been better had you done that at the beginning.

Here is the relevant bit of our conversation Jane - all I did was ask you if you believed in free speech.

Geof Cox
All political censorship is wrong Sue - and all censorship in general has to handled with great care.
You obviously missed the second part of my post you replied to:

The point I was making - and evidencing by linking the article and new policing guidance - is that attempts to impose the ‘correct’ line, or ‘cancel’ alternative views, can come from any direction - and often come most virulently from those who see themselves as defending traditional western or British values - adding the wrong of hypocrisy to the wrong of censorship.

Jane Williamson
So ISIS should be listened to and given a free platform in the UK?

Geof Cox
Well what do you think Jane? Do you believe in free speech?

I’ve been clear throughout: all political censorship is wrong - but of course free speech doesn’t license libel, hate speech, etc.
You seem to be going a step further, and saying that some ideological/cultural/religious ideas should be actively censored.
I was just interested in clarifying exactly where you stand on free speech.
(I do understand if you’re not really sure - it is a difficult question for everyone, isn’t it?)

1 Like

No there aren’t. We don’t do special meals for any religious reasons either (no fish on a Friday!), or acknowledge any religious anything. That means if someone wears eg a cross where it can be seen (or anything religious of any sort) they will be asked to put it where it can’t be seen or else remove it.

3 Likes

All very sensible and egalitarian IMO. I can’t help but think there has been too much pandering to the extremists in the UK Muslim community in the UK. The long running Finsbury Park Mosque saga being a good example.

There’s no messing in Saudi though. I almost got detained at Riyadh airport once because they thought a children’s book I’d picked up for my daughter in Waterstones was religious.

And don’t get me started on the gay Saudi immigration officer that wanted to “pop up” and see me in my hotel :scream: I still wonder was it an attempt at entrapment.

1 Like

But it’s much more straightforward in France John. Laïcité is a long-established principle in French law, deeply embedded in the culture, and accepted by most French people. The UK has no such principle on which to take a stand. It is not, legally, a secular society - it has an established church integrated with its monarchy, bishops in the house of lords, compulsory ‘worship’ and religious education in schools, etc, etc. France’s pretty clear principled position is simply not available to the UK. Without fundamental constitutional and cultural change, the UK is always going to have a confused and confusing approach to religion, and be open to the charge of double-standards.

2 Likes

I completely accept that Geof. I blame Henry the 8th and Cromwell myself :slightly_smiling_face: But we are where we are and extremist Islam is a growing threat.

Véronique Langlands[vero] said

“There should be no religion whatsoever in schools. It is a private thing and belief in supernatural beings should be reserved for home. Ethics and how to treat other people with respect ie the way one would wish to be treated does have a place.”

Well, it’s not taught in order to convert people!

I’m surprised that you would think it wrong to teach people about something which affects us all so deeply, whether we’re part of the 16% who don’t believe or the 84% who do believe.

Ethics is usually part of RE, because the subjects are connected.