Grated camembert?!?!

How is this even possible? Is it 1st April ?

1 Like

It is possible but who needs it?

1 Like

grated camembert what a good idea ,original to say the least.Will give it a try and let you know what it tastes like.
Bon appetit

1 Like

Camembert?

Much better baked.

1 Like

I really don’t get why you would want to turn a soft cheese into a hard cheese just so you can grate it, when there are plenty of hard cheeses available. The article says comté and mozzarella but surely emmental is the ideal cheese for grating. Camembert is at its best when it starts to go runny and it is great (no pun intended) for baking, or melting over things or into sauces. Seems bizarre to me but I suppose there is always a market for the bizarre.

I often use up any camembert which might be a little “suspect”… by chopping it into small pieces and hiding it in a pasta-bake… adds a certain something… never had any complaints…:grin:

1 Like

It has very little flavour really so the only saving grace is the runniness.
I rarely cook pasta and would use parmesan on spaghetti with clams or
fresh tomato sauce. Not fond of the idea of eating the “overcoat”!

Oh dear… Barbara… you have obviously not tried “suspect” Camembert… it has a very definite flavour… medium to strong (depending)… if it smells acidic it is no longer “suspect” it is guilty and chucked away. :wink:

Yes the flavour doesn’t start developing until it starts to be runny, it peaks after two or three days and is absolutely scrummy, and after that it turns acidic.
But you have to choose a good cheese because if they haven’t been kept/matured well they don’t develop properly.

1 Like

As you say @Anna there are other hard cheeses, lots and lots of them, so why would anyone want this. Camembert has such a mild flavour that I’m not sure how it would add much to say, a cheese sauce or a gratin.

Camembert is best when it’s soft, gooey and unctuous.

Interesting Barbara that a restaurateur such as yourself would serve parmesan cheese with seafood when the Italians would never do this. I suppose it’s down to personal taste :thinking:

yes I guesse it is down to personal taste.
when I have eaten this dish spaghetti with baby clams in Italy
the pasta was coated with a little tomato/basil sauce and the
parmesan was brought to the table.
The clams are still in their shells…infact cockles in their shell.

Being a restauranter is not connected to my personal taste
and I have both altered the elements and ingredients in dishes
and have created my own some have been published in cookery
books.

1 Like

i dont understand your reactions in general concerning grated camembert.Anyway i will try it and see if the taste suits me.after all the recipe comes from Brittany cant get more french than that.

1 Like

Sorry, can’t stand camembert, grated, baked, hard or soft. Or brie for that matter.

I forgive you Mark… :relaxed::relaxed:

Thanks mum

2 Likes

Not sure the Breton nationalist party Strollad Breizh sees it quite like that :wink:
However the village of Camembert is very close to where I live in Normandy, and us Normans don’t want independence and we are proud to make some of the great French cheeses - Camembert, Livarot, Pont l’Eveque, Neufchatel etc etc etc.

I can as a chef,or as a person realis the taste and texture and I see no point.
Maybe you will love it.
To grate it would mean that it could not be ripe otherwise it just would not
grate.
I have no desire to grate it …deep fried it hundreds of years ago and served it
with a gooseberry relish…my customers seemed to enjoy it.

I often put slices/chunks of camembert into a split croissant… then into the microwave for so many seconds… just until the cheese starts to ooooooze. :hugs: hot and tasty…

1 Like