Groups for towns/cities

Well - here we go! Where are you?

Yes, please. I feel a bit isolated in North Brittany.

With so many Dordogneshires on this website....I reckon Bergerac would be central for many...

Yes James, it's a really good idea.

I started Brittany People as we are so "removed" from everyone else out there across France. It's great to hear what's going on in other places but frustrating when we live so far away. Local focus is always good. Brittany People has conversations going on from time to time and friendships and support have happened as a result.

I don't think people will not get involved with new groups as may be suggested. As ever, it's a case of what is going on in your life at any one time that dictates your level of involvement in any group and on any social networking site.

Sounds a good idea to me.

Absolutely!A heads up on lmocal stuff as Valerie has said would be great! It would be great to know who was around too.

That's true Natasha, I think the regional groups are quiet because they are too general.

Yes please!

Hi Annette

That could work yes. As your group is already setup and has a good number of members perhaps we should trial it in there. I'll have a think about how that could work.

j

SFN already has regional groups... some of which are a bit quiet which is perhaps why James is considering other options?

I kind of agree with you there Natasha, but that could mean joining loads of groups and it is easier to keep up with the updates if it is centralised a bit. I think regional with an admin for each department.

Hi Terry, yes I realise that must be tricky for Lozere (which is SO beautiful if a little quiet :) ) but not so many folks on SFN I think. James (H) (hello btw) what about for the LR regional group having an admin for each Dept? There are 5 depts in Languedoc and there are some great existing members (can think of several that would be great to contribute for their area) - we would be looking for offers in 11, 30, 48 and 66. We, for example, live right on the border of 2 departments and travel throughout all 5 so we really appreciate hearing news that applies across the whole region.

What do you think ?

Good suggestions there too, especially like to description of the area, that could appear right at the top of the group.

Thanks!

Obviously a very good means to further 'hone' the product and certainly good for chunky population centres so that people can actually meet up/share events etc., meet (and hey the 'singles' group could actually become a dating feature) ... and the department suggestion is a good one too for people in less dense population areas. So, yep this is a great development.

I agree that departmental and sub groups could be a better option. I'm also more than happy to contribute for Lourdes/Tarbes area having lived there on and off for 6 years :)

I would go with Natasha’s and Maria’s suggestion to have department groups and maybe subgroups for big(ger) towns within those departments, so for instance have a group for Haute Garonne in general and then a separate group for Toulouse, just as an example. Depends a bit on the SFN demographic in each department and, as Terry pointed out, how active the members are in each department.

Hi James,

I think it could well be very useful and it may have the added benefit of putting people who are (very) local in touch with each other. It is far easier, in my humble opinion, to meet up with someone who lives within a 10km radius of your home than someone who is further afield as finding a time slot can be simpler.

It could also be useful if you have local knowledge for each town available for people to read, especially if they are thinking of moving to France or relocating within the country or just coming for a visit...People within the group can contribute anything they consider useful and turn it into a real sharing experience :)

A Paris group sounds like a good start, see how we go with that one. Any volunteers to run it?

Sounds like a good idea - though I have no idea how you would work out what cities/towns merit their own Group!! Obviously it isn't just a case of how many SFNers there are in the area, it also depends on how active they are! Hope that it will work out! :-)

yes, I think midi-pyrenees for example is too big - some places in that are four hours drive away, but the towns may be too small and anyway, not everything is in towns, there are restaurants etc in the smaller towns and things to see in the villages too. I think departmental would be better, then I would be in the Gers and could pretty much get to anywhere within that department in an hour, presume this is similar for most people.