Halloumi cheese

Does it have a long SBD or can be frozen?

In the UK too itā€™s Greek week at Lidl next week. Same branding as well. The Lidl French week is always amusing!

Iā€™ve never tried freezing it, Lily but the SBD is enormously long - best part of a year normally

1 Like

The trick is not to eat it all at onceā€¦halloumi has never lasted more than a week in my house :woman_facepalming:t2::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I have just got back from Grand Frais and there is a halloumi shortage at the moment because their supplier didnā€™t supply any, they will have it again but donā€™t know when.

2 Likes

Halloumi is stocked by both Aldi and Lidl next week. The Aldi one is Cypriot so if Iā€™m in Aldi Iā€™ll probably try that one.

As usual the olive oil prices for Greek olive oil in this Lidl ā€˜Greece weekā€™ seem to be about 50% up on pricing for the identical product in Lidl UK.

l

2 Likes

Iā€™m certainly going to try both shops this week and hope that no other halloumi keenies get there first :rofl:

1 Like

You halloumi lovers has prompted me to ask my husband (I donā€™t eat cheese) if he would like to try it, am I getting swept along with the search of the allusive halloumi? :wink::rofl:

There is a huge new Aldi between Macon and Creche-sur-Saone now.
We have not visited due to Covid, but there is also the revamped Lidl and, of course, further down the huge Carrefour and Grand Frais.
Plenty of choice.
we used to buy Halloumi at the Turkish shop in Macon up the hill from Intermarche.

Am planning a trip to Noz in Creches soon so will have a look at Aldi , thanks.

1 Like

Luckily, I appear to be the sole halloumi fiend in my area, so I should be able to pick up about 6 packs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

1 Like

Or onlineā€¦ Halloumi - Pourdebon
Delivered by Chronofresh, who delivered a huge wedge of ComtƩ to us very satisfactorily.
You pay for the delivery of course, which is OK for a huge wedge. Better to try to find halloumi locally.

1 Like

I had looked at them, Fleur, but the postage is significant, as you say! If I can get it locally I most certainly will. If Lidl and/or Aldi do actually have it this week, the moral dilemma will be whether to copy Damaris with getting 6 packs or whether to leave some for the hordes of other Brits in the area :thinking:

There are times when you have to put yourself first Angela and when it comes to haloumi is one of them. The early bird catches the worm and all that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink:

5 Likes

Hooray! Yes it does freeze OK.

2 Likes

Thought Iā€™d check in Aldi this morning. Just in case they put it out early. Sometimes food things they advertise as available on a particular day have already been available for a bit.

Erā€¦Nope. The cupboard is locked. No Halloumi.

Success! Went all the way to St Lo but the other Brits had obviously left some for me :dancing_women:

I even left a few for other peopleā€¦ :angel:

2 Likes

Aldi in Agos Vidalos :wink:

1 Like

Is that the contents of your trolley?

1 Like

Given my total lack of self control, no I wouldnā€™t dare!! I bought 3 packs and 2 packs of pita bread. I was so restrained!!!