Halloumi cheese

I bought 6 packs :blush: - going to visit Lidl today but the local Lidl is VERY popular with Brits so I didnā€™t dare rely on there being any left by the time I get thereā€¦

1 Like

Now I have had my fix of haloumi, at least for today, I was wondering how you all like to eat itā€¦

I have to admit that Iā€™ve never (knowingly) had it - and since you lot have been banging on about it :joy: thought Iā€™d try to find it locally but canā€™t (fairly limited range). So, whatā€™s it taste like, apart from cheesy - feta, emmental, compte etc?

Before you try it find out how to cook it. It is great on the bbq, it doesnā€™t really melt and goes a bit crunchy!

We have previously had the healthy recipe where it is deep fried as chips - yes deep fried cheese, doesnā€™t get healthier than that!

3 Likes

Itā€™s very nice panfried and then served warm in salad with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dried cranberries and almonds or pine nuts.

1 Like

Our favourite is the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe - sliced, coated in a mix of flour and smoked paprika and fried. Brilliant with a salad on a warm summer day (Itā€™s cold and wet outsideā€¦)
This is closeā€¦

Whatever you do, donā€™t try eating it uncooked! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Basically, fry 1/4-1/3rd inch slices in a frying pan in medium-hot olive oil pre-heated (err on the hot side) just, but only just covering it, turn it to finish the top side as a last thing if needed, drain. You want it medium brown on the outside with slightly darker corners, but soft in the middle.

Iā€™ll share my Cypriot boyfriendā€™s way ti make Greek coffee as well sometime, but Iā€™m meant to be working so shouldnā€™t be on here today :slight_smile:

1 Like

salty, creamy, sheepy

avoid cows milk varieties and try to get it made in Cyprus, or Greece. Like feta some of it in supermarkets is made in Germany or France if you check the label

PPS (and Iā€™m not really here 'cos Iā€™m working today) you donā€™t really have to worry about the fat in the semi-deep fried pan-fry method above because the halloumi wonā€™t absorb it. Thatā€™s why you err on the side of slightly hotter than medium. it should bubble around it and you drain it when done. Nicer than grilling and easier.

1 Like

I like it best grilled and plain, I love the squeakiness - I do it either in slices or else fat dice to eat with chopsticks if I donā€™t want dirty fingers.

2 Likes

Surely deep fried Mars bars are equally as healthy :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Got mine from Lidl in town just now (Leclerc was shut - I forgot the holiday). Thanks guys. My favourite - grilled on a griddle pan and served with roast vegetables and couscous.

By the way, also got the insect thingy - so again thanks.

Exactly how I like it too @vero !:rofl:

1 Like

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face: And :nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

Come on Colin - itā€™s lovely! You must have tried it uncookedā€¦?

Tried it a few waysā€¦still :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:
My taste went weird after the strokes, love pasta, love a lot of cheeses, but macaroni tastes like snot.
Used to be a chocaholic, after second stroke allergic to Coco oil so no chocolate allowed nowadays, any cheese with mould through it should be in the bucket as well :wink::laughing:

Lidl 26th May

Thatā€™s interesting, Lily! Iā€™ve just looked at their catalogue and (of course!) you are quite right. Iā€™m puzzled though because I stocked up last week, having been checking on Lidl for nigh on 9 months to no avail, and now it is back :thinking:

I think itā€™s in order to give @DeTolkTW anothe chance since she was so abstemious last weekā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen it at my Lidl. Have any of you seen it at the Bergerac ones in the past? @Lily @vero ?

It appeared, briefly, in mine last week, Tory, but youā€™d have to get there on the Wednesday of that week for it still to be there. If you go in to your Lidl on the 26th with your fingers crossed and go to the bit of the chiller cabinet that has weird stuff in it, you may find some. That was the only way I managed to get some last week - prewarned and in there straight away :smiley:

1 Like