Having difficulties - you are not alone

Ah… I’m talking about the occasions when the 2-level security is required.

the general sms code sent to my phone at time of purchase/whatever… does not need an App… just a mobile

My mobile works fine… makes and receives calls and sms… and I’m sitting at my computer ready to tap in … and complete my purchase/action of whatever…
we each have our preferences.

1 Like

SMS work just fine for me too when I have a sniff of Orange France. Alas, being on the wrong side of a hill in a stone farmhouse means I have to venture outside to get that sniff.

1 Like

Yes… again… you are not alone. We see folk walking disconsolately round the village, holding mobiles up and waving them this way and that.

The oak tree used to be a reliable spot, but something must have changed since that is no longer the case.

2 Likes

Why didn’t I get one of these before now? A wireless charger for my smartphone! No more hunting down a charger and a cable with the right connector, amid myriad chargers and cables with the wrong connectors, which have accumulated over the years. I’m very untidy!

It can be charged through its case. Now, such a sense of relief!

It can also charge my Bluetooth earbuds, which is a bonus.

anker wireless charger

3 Likes

I’m losing the will to live! Driving back from Toulouse yesterday, off the motorway, in a nose to tail queue and in the dark I was trying (and failing miserably) to make sense of the computer screen of our new(ish) Kadjar to put in my route home. I of course failed miserably. So I am now trying to make sense of it while the car is stationary in front of the house. So far, I am looking at page 118 of the user manual on my computer screen. I have skipped the sections on voice control, using the phone, showing photos, showing videos (really!), The sat nav section runs to 20 pages. The total runs to 143 pages. That is JUST the onboard computer. The manual for the car itself is 310 pages.
Oh for the days when we slipped a radio/CD player into the hole in the dashboard and used a road atlas issued by the AA and only worried about tyre pressures and whether there was enough oil and water, oh and perhaps that the battery was ok.
Somewhere in the computer manual I came across something about seat massage. I must check that one out again before OH gets back from London. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

what a horror!.. try YouTube… OH often finds useful videos of “how to do…” whatever is sending him potty…

good luck

1 Like

Regardless of what I’m driving, I always use my phone with Waze. Quick, simple, accurate and very straightforward controls/set up. Just don’t have the patience to step through all the ‘frilly’ add-ons that the manufacturers delight in adding.Not sure if I’m missing out, but works for me :grin:

That is if you can get beyond the rapid techie delivery in American. I have given up on YT for such things.

It looks like a very good idea. I’m being a bit thick… where does the power come from ?

The wireless charger plugs into a wall socket just like a regular charger.

The clever bit is that with a suitable phone, the wireless charging pad/puck/plate induces a current into the phone’s charging circuit without the phone being connected to anything by a cable.

I drove a Vauxhall Crossland hire car during a recent trip pack to U.K. and the sheer amount of data displayed was overwhelming for even a technical chap like myself.

Don’t get me started on the Lane Control system which made me think I’d blown a tyre the first time it activated.

1 Like

certainly does need discrimination… but a manufacturer or its forum… often puts something useful on Utube which can help

I see ! Clever stuff… I’m sold already. I find that the right cable/connector is never to hand. I have boxes of cables. I dislike in particular the ones that allow power but not data - but you can’t tell until they don’t work.

As @NotALot says, your phone needs to be suitable. Many cars now have a charging pad.

I went back to wired charging, because the wireless charger I had sat flat on my desk, the phone on top but not anchored, and frequently the cat would knock the phone askew and I’d have a discharged phone in the morning.

1 Like

Thanks for the review Porridge. I have an iPhone XR. And we have no cat… I think it will work!

1 Like

Doing it in the roads too, maybe, eventually…

2 Likes

I suspect this is going to work as well as solar roadways do - i.e not well at all.

Pretty much a regular transformer but with the primary on the charger and the secondary in the phone (some phones can also act as charger and “top up” another device).

The two coils have to be in close proximity to get good transfer of power.

As the S3 has wireless charging I made sure that when I bought a new phone recently I got one with this capability - it works but everything gets very hot and the charging rate is not especially good, it mostly means I can do a long journey with Android Auto active without flattening the phone battery.

1 Like

There is a transmitter coil in the charger which connects to a receiver coil in the phone, wirelessly, so that an electromagnetic induction charge can be transmitted (through the air) into the phone and charge its battery. The charger and phone need to be compatible. My charger will sit on the bedside table and will be connected permanently to an ordinary USB charger in a wall power outlet. When my phone needs charging I just sit it on the charger, in its red case, as in the photo. They connect automatically when they touch, at which point the charging starts. No messing about with cables!

1 Like

Very neat ! Thanks for the explanation Bonzocat. I have one on order…

What phone do you have Fleur? - apologies if you already mentioned.