Having difficulties - you are not alone

That’s because you didn’t indicate :face_with_hand_over_mouth: If you indicate the system knows you want to change lane and doesn’t vibrate. Or, in slightly more sophisticated set ups, changes lane for you.

I believe that’s called “a chauffeur”. :smiley:

3 Likes

I think the wireless charger in my car over heated and damaged the battery in my last phone. It was an iPhone 13, so only two years old and the battery was down to 80 maximum charge. Having replaced it I now use an Apple wireless charger attached to the USB C port in the car for a much more gentle charge. This has kept the phone charged on very long runs, 4/500k, even when using CarPlay and the phone never warms up.

FTFY

I tend to turn off lane departure assist in the S3, it’s OK on motorways and other roads which have clear lane markings but where there is no nearside white line it frequently gets the impression that the lane is narrower than reality and tries to push me towards the middle of the road if I get even close to thinking about getting within 4-5 feet of the verge - which is a) unnerving and b) negatively contributing to road safety.

1 Like

Given how often Elon Musk’s rockets blow up, I’m not sure I would trust any of his technology. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just turn it down to the mildest setting and it’s fine. The Tiguan we had could start fighting with you if it decided you were deviating, and that caused you to overcorrect to overcome it and that produced a “wobble”. Which probably looked a bit alarming from behind. Apart from initially playing with it for lane changes on autoroutes I kept it off all the time we had the car.

As an aside, there seems to be a glut of Taycans in Dublin. They can be picked up secondhand for (still a lot) of buttons. They say the e-tron GT (on which it’s based anyway) is the better car. For a laugh I configured the new electric Macan the other night. Ludicrous price for little but trim options, and were there list after list of options. Personally I think when the flat six dies, Porsche dies.

It’s an iPhone XR Billy.

No, it was a temporary slip road in roadworks on the A12 and where you had to cross the old cat’s eyes to join the A12.

Unless it could be permanently disabled, I wouldn’t own a vehicle fitted with it. I drive the car, the car doesn’t drive me.

Should be good to go then :slight_smile:

My Anker wireless charger will charge numerous Samsung and Apple phones - including your iPhone XR. For my Samsung Edge 7 phone, charging does take a little longer than the previous charger/cable set-up, but not enough to bother me.

In principle I would be happy with a car with level 5 automation - i.e full self driving. I’d honestly like nothing more than to hop in, give it a destination and let it get on with it.

Obviously I’d also like to be able to hop in and tell the car I’ll drive this time.

We’re a long way from level 5 - some might view that as a good thing.

Ah, that might mean sticking with 2nd hand vehicles then as it is likely any new car will a) have it fitted (I think these advanced safety features are now or are about to be mandatory) and b) you won’t be able to override it permanently.

I can disable it on the S3, but it’s back on the next time the vehicle is started.

Yes, mine too, that’s the latest wheeze. The Tiguan’s (2017) could be turned off permanently. I think speed limit sign recognition is also built into all new cars now. So, soon the car will either force you to keep to the limit or if you exceed it then squeal on you via the in-car internet connection. Next step will be to automatically deduct the fine from your Bip and Go account.

Yes I think so. It’s coming on Monday so we’ll see…

Guess I’m saving up for a surplus PSNI Landrover then.

1 Like

I’ve driven a couple of new small cars recently - including the Toyota Aygo crapbox - that did that. It’s annoying they all require about 10sec push of the button to turn off the lane recognition function too, so you can’t just give it a momentary press.

Same on the S3

At least it doesn’t try to default to limiting the driver to the car’s current idea of the speed limit - it can do that if you switch it on (though it’s buried in a menu somewhere so not that likely to get used).

Apart from the general annoyance that would be caused, the car gets the speed limit wrong a fair bit of the time - both above and below the actual limit.

Now that would be cool - I trust you will keep the metal grilles on the windows and anti-petrol bomb skirts? :smiley:

(Handy if you need to go to Paris and have to negotiate a French farmers’ blockade.) :smiley:

2 Likes

Make sure you tick the scorch marks option.

1 Like