Head lights advice

Hi all out there
we are after a set of headlights for
Merc C220 CD Estate , appropriate for CT in France ?
If anyone has any or can suggest where to get am in 50520 but preferably within EU customs shocking outside of UK .
Maybe you are returning to UK to and want a swop ? Were told that they can be adjusted via setting but not happening maybe they need specific Merc lights ? Thanks

Check the boncoin

have you asked at your local Mercedes Dealer… or have they already been unable to adjust them

It was a great relief to find that our Merc came with lights which could be altered manually via a simple switch.

1 Like

It is a straightforward process got advice from Mercedes problem is we have found out theses sre not Mercedes ones and cant change need another set . Were trying to find lights that are appropriate in our area thanks

Fair enough, if you want to change the lights.

On the other hand, beam-benders could be a cheaper option.

1 Like

Germany seems to be a cheaper shopping area or Holland. Got some volvo ones for a fraction of the price in France or the UK

2 Likes

ISTR that beam benders have been accepted at CT stations in France but as to whether that’s the case in Dept 50 I can’t say.

( I reckon you’re joking… :wink: )

Surely, it is inconceivable that CT regulations only apply to a part of the French Hexagon ?? or is that another covid variant…

Hi beam benders wont get through CT/MOT

Was toying with idea ti get from Germany if anyone has them itll be tnem right. Def harder in France

Not sure guess worth an ask did point out needed to change lights took that as meaning changing complete set

1 Like

@kazz4662
Why not??

I understand the documentation which CT Testers follow… clearly states that BB’s are acceptable on RHD cars, provided they are correctly fitted.

@anon90504988 has already provided copies of the applicable sections for RHD cars … and (while waiting for my own French car) I watched one CT Tester check and double check the placement of BB’s on a RHD … before ticking that box…

mind you, this was at an official DEKRA testing station in 2020.

Perhaps all bets are off now that 31/12/20 has passed by… who knows.

The UTAC regulations for all CT stations make it clear that RHD lights are a failure, then adds “with the exception of those equipped with a device rendering the beam flat (e.g. masking adhesive sticker or
or specific device of the lamp)”
Unfortunately not all testers bother to read the whole document so will refuse to accept this. Best advice is to have the retest conducted elsewhere.

2 Likes

To be legal, the headlights must not throw any light beyond what one may call the approved area. THis is very carefully defined.
Meeting that requirement with beam deflector stickers is tricky:

1. Most don’t make your beams dip to the right, they just flatten the part of the beam that ‘kicks up’ on the left to illuminate the UK kerbside.
  2. Some beam deflectors don’t even flatten the beam very well - some seem to work better on specific headlights than others
  3. Unless they are fitted very accurately, they won’t necessarily do the job you expect them to do

At the end of the day, if the CT technicien has read his rule book he will know that deflector stickers are allowed - but only if the resulting headlight beam does not cast any light outside the approved area.

2 Likes

I have to agree with @_Brian
An after market solution installed by the car owner whilst in itself an approved method, might not meet the exacting safety standard required and thus be rejected with a fail.
I think the OP is right to seek a more permanent solution.

When I reregistered mine, with the help of @anon90504988 like a lot of us, I smiled sweetly at the CT station guy and he literally positioned them for me before he did the test as although I had been told they would be acceptable I wasn’t sure I could do it accurately and thought ‘who better than the guy doing the CT itself?’. He was perfectly happy to do it, so I would honestly say if you get told no from one place just go elsewhere, or ask around with the brits locally, as unless there’s some specific reason why those particular lights won’t be accepted, they’re really shouldn’t be an issue as Mark has shown.

2 Likes

not sure that would work for me :frowning_face:
Should I be worried if it did :thinking: :rofl:

4 Likes

Absolutely… the problem some folk have is that there are still CT stations who are not up to date with the specs and/or simply refuse BB’s on principle.

See other threads going back ages and ages… on this very point.

When I was watching the performance last year… it was the CT guy doing the positioning and the Garage guy who had brought the car in for a customer… he just looked on.

Not sure if the Garage guy smiled sweetly though… :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Hi all thanks for the feed back we have been to different car shops :frowning: and def easier with French cars !! I did suggest using stickers and even buying from Germany or Holland but he found a set in the last shop so with being fed up he got them but ouch . Expensive this moving to France buiness is now esp.post Brexit .

1 Like