Health tips 🙂

In the spirite of “the beatings will continue until moral improves” my wife now has me yogaing (is that a verb?) one class a week. I have to admit I am feeling a bit more souple, not that it helped in the infamous shower fall (stitches removed today :slightly_smiling_face:). I discovered the attached which will help me on my quest…. And I thought may be of interest to others .

5 Likes

Thanks John.

“Sitting is the new smoking”.

3 Likes

My wife’s been doing yoga daily for about forty years and the benefits are very obvious. I’ve drifted in and out of yoga classes for many years and, whilst appreciating its many benefits, if a class coincides with dinner (as is the case locally) dinner will win.

I do lots of free weight strength exercises, but although they’re beneficial, they aren’t an alternative to what yoga gives to the body - I’m strong, but no longer supple.

Mine too. It’ll help to give her the strength to haul me out of my armchair :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Certainly agree with things like standing on one leg, and other things to help balance. Do my 2 minutes of tooth brushing on one leg every morning.

But generic stuff sometimes not helpful as dispiriting to those who have other issues (like badly arthritic knees) so discussions about tailored daily routine with a kiné would be ideal.

2 Likes

However, despite my wife’s yoga derived core strength, she doesn’t have any muscles - can’t open jars or lift things, tho’ the latter might well be a subterfuge - "Oh it’s too heavy, can you do it?

1 Like

The mental picture gave me a bit of a chuckle :grinning:

I try to do one hour a day of various general stretching/yoga/pilates moves and since starting about five years ago can certainly confirm it helps alot with strength and balance. On occasions when I cannot do it for some reason I very much miss it, as also find it hugely relaxing.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea.

And do you have teeth on the other leg too!?

11 Likes

Despite having a fair amount of exercise what with dog walking and daily (almost) swimming, i thought that a little bout of yoga in the morning might be beneficial.

I do have something that looks like a yoga mat (bought for camping years ago, never used) and rolled it out on the floor with a beginners video on YT on the telly.

First position, sit down crossed legs, just like at infants’ school.

I did that, and immediately rolled over backwards, something to do with weight distribution I suppose. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

(Well, that’s got me laughing… well done David… )

I’v been looking at the 16 life-changing moves… and can confirm that if I try some of 'em… it will certainly change my life… but not necessarily for the better… :wink: :wink:

but some do look good and I’ll have a go… :crossed_fingers: :+1:

Perhaps I should do it with my back against a chair? Not in it, obviously. :thinking:

Consistency is key and you’ll start to feel a difference :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Good idea and easy to do, well I found it so, but a few minutes a day should easily be found.

2 Likes

I find it impossible to stick to a daily “exercise routine”, something always gets in the way after a few days. What works best for me is associating exercises with daily activities - hence using 2 minute time on toothbrush for one leg standing exercises., Turtle neck exercise I do when sat at meal table waiting for dinner, and so on.

1 Like

Could be a bit dangerous for me, the toothbrush trick. I scrub so vigorously that I use 2 hands on the brush to exert an opposite force to avoid it coming out of my mouth and stabbing me in the face.
I reckon standing on one leg at the same time would be a step too far and might find the brush sticking out of the back of my neck. :astonished: :rofl:

2 Likes

I swam 280 metres today.

7 Likes

Have you considered an electric toothbrush, they do a much better job and are a bit more gentle on the gums than your two handed approach?

1 Like

I have, briefly, from time to time, but where will it all end? Yet more and yet more leccy things in the house to plug in or recharge and why don’t they all make the same plug in connections? I have a really good high powered torch which is totally useless now because I can’t find the recharge wire and nothing else out of dozens of such things, will fit it. :slightly_frowning_face: