Hello, I've just joined

David, can I ask did you see a property you liked before you sold, or did you sell then go look? We are thinking the latter to be in a better buying position. Does mean we have to find somewhere temporary to live , and put our belongings in storage for a while.

Twenty years agoā€¦ we had definite, clearly defined, Seasonsā€¦now it seems to flow in and out. I think the weather is changing worldwide and you really need to experience it for yourselfā€¦ which you will do, when you rent somewhere.

Actually, you can almost be spoilt for choice in the area you are consideringā€¦ like being a kid let loose in the sweet shopā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

We had been tempted to look at Gers, but the cold put us of! Being Welsh weā€™ve seen enough rain. Here in Suffolk itā€™s drier but bit windier. Prob bit warmer too but not enough! Itā€™s hard trying to get the balance right!!!

Being spoiled for choice is an important consideration. One disadvantage of buying in haste in an unknown area is that once you move and get to know a particular part of rural France you will get to know itā€™s hidden gems. Renting first allows you to find that perfect home with more judgement and less luck.

2 Likes

Really, sounds fab! We donā€™t mind being more inland , we just havenā€™t donā€™t it yet. I mean Poitiers to Brive. As long as itā€™s not a windy alley :sweat_smile:

Absolutely, David. We bought our holiday home and intended using it as a base to find our permanent home. As it happens we so love where we areā€¦ that we have never considered moving onā€¦ :relaxed:

I was increadibly lucky too. I bought my house because I liked the building. It was only later that I realised how good the location is as well.

1 Like

Whereabouts are you David?

Not too far from Ruffec. I knew I wanted to buy a house in this area but the wonderful location is itā€™s actual position within my chosen area. I ended up in a position where there is no passing traffic, where I am close to the river, have glimpses of three chateaux from my garden yet am within walking distance of the town centre and supermarkets if I needed to walk to them. As I said before, I only looked at the building, I didnā€™t really actually consider its actual location at the time.

1 Like

'Tis amazing how large a part luck plays.
I was heading for Turkey on my boat, when I was diverted, just for a few days (I thought), to have a look at the River Villaine. Fell in love with S Morbihan, sold the boat, bought a semi ruin, met my now Wife, life couldnā€™t be better, all just Luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Know a bit what you meanā€¦ there have been times when I have railed at what life has flung at usā€¦ only to later find out/realize that things did work out for the best after allā€¦ :thinking::relaxed::hugs:

1 Like

Itā€™s odd, I was in the Caribb, BVI working for a French charter company, they offered me the very lucrative position of ā€˜Staff Skipperā€™, the labour dept there, refused me a work permit, disgusted and I was short of dosh, there was only one route to take, back to Europe. I was on my own at the time, so I sailed back alone, 32 days, proved to be a great experience. Then 2yrs later, found myself with no boat but a ruin in Portugal and enough energy to convert/renovate it. Before, a while later, I bought another boat in Spain, which eventually brought me here. As You said Stella, just when you think youā€™ve been dealt a ā€˜bum handā€™. Voila :slightly_smiling_face:

We picked the area purely because of its closeness to airports and the rail services. We literally saw this place and just said letā€™s do it. You can research and research and research, we are letā€™s just get on and do it people. If itā€™s wrong itā€™s wrong if itā€™s right itā€™s right.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in Brittanyā€¦(donā€™t ask me if itā€™s north south east or west as my direction sense is dreadful)ā€¦several years ago I was looking for somewhere to rent in uk that accepted dogsā€¦a friend asked if I had ever thought of Franceā€¦I said no as I had only ever driven through France on route to Germanyā€¦he sent me the details of a propertyā€¦next minute I was on the plane to view itā€¦signed to buy and returned to England wondering if I had just dreamt the last 3 daysā€¦! Fortunately I am in a tiny hamletā€¦surrounded by fieldsā€¦no passing trafficā€¦but within 3km of a Super-Uā€¦a vetā€¦a bricolageā€¦and 6km of my regional bank and most servicesā€¦Iā€™m less than an hour away from the coastā€¦I do think that my sudden arrival in Brittany was guided by Angels somewhere along the lineā€¦most likely my late fatherā€¦Wishing you all the very bestā€¦ x :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi
We moved here from Essex and lived in Suffolk when I went to university in Ipswich. we moved here 2012 in lot et Garonne minutes from Dordogne edge as such and also started a business which is property services and helping move to france and settle etc and we work with estate agents in Dordogne and Lot et Garonne. Feel free to email and chat. Iā€™ve been through it all including coming here heavily pregnant and now bringing up two boys in France there isnā€™t much we havenā€™t been through so farā€¦ups and downs of moving abroad but itā€™s all worth it. I canā€™t say we miss Essex as this region is so beautiful but moving is complex and getting advice from numerous people is always worth it. All the best with your plans ahead. Tabitha (we are in Villereal 47210. tdryhurstwest@gmail.com

3 Likes

Hello @France2018 Tabithaā€¦ sounds like you have been through the mill, so to speakā€¦ lots of experience to share with us.

Please could you amend your Registration to show your First and Last Names (ie full name as per T&C)ā€¦ if youā€™re not sure how to do thatā€¦ just put your full name here on this thread and Iā€™ll amend the Page for youā€¦ :slight_smile:

Cheers :relaxed:

2 Likes

Hi Tabitha,

Thanks that would be a great help! What is the local weather like there? Any info much appreciated :slight_smile:

Wow, what an amazing outcome! Sometimes no matter how hard one tries, fate plays a hand. I hope we have your luck! Thanks

3 Likes

As you say, you get a feel for a property or place. Weā€™ve had two property hunting visits so far. Each time very different budgets. We realise now that not finding anything then was a good thing. Our requirements are now different. No longer want major work or acres and acres. Now we are aiming for somewhere in middle.

2 Likes

Its how much time to allow to make viewing visits. Very time consuming wading through all property sites, and still canā€™t tell if they are suitable. Why do agents take such awful pics? Rarely any floor plans either. So this time, we will rent whilst looking.