Help me design a BBQ - What features do you want from yours?

Clients cooking duck breasts on a barbeque which is already greasy because they just leave the cleaning to never never day are a danger.

No 1 irritation is the height! The overall population is rather taller than it was in the 50’s, but all kitchen cooking stuff seems to assume people are Macron sized. I’m not and would like not to have to stoop over my BBQ.

Not having somewhere to rest/hook things so utensils are to hand. Yes, we have a worksurface close, but when something’s about to burn/collapse you need things to be right there.

We tend to bbq fish and veg, and many grills are better adapted for hunks of steak so too chunky, and bars too far apart.

With our gas Weber I just leave it on full for 8 minutes after cooking then a quick brush off and it is all good again.

1 Like

Buy the fish BBq baskets and your troubles are over.

Not just webbers, lighting a fire and burning up the debris. Only really need to clean the grills, fire box can stay as it is.

Threw them away as too irritating. Just bought a better grill tray.

Ok, I dont find that and wouldn’t be without now, maybe different one? Certainly help with prawns.

I agree with John about the baskets - also means that if you are grilling e.g. sardines, you can turn the whole apparatus over rather than trying to turn the fish (and in my case losing at least one between the bars :angry:

I also very much agree with Jane about the height issue - more lower back problems I don’t need!

Too many incidents of fish slipping out into jaws of waiting dog…

1 Like

Blokes getting in my way having a masculinity contest :grin:

2 Likes

You expect your clients to clean the barbecue?

1 Like

Burning off cleans the grills, just a quick wire brush for 30 seconds and ready to go for next time.

1 Like

Most important, cast iron griddle not steel or enamel. Far superior

For their own safety yes.
Normally it is cleaned for them in the dark of night .
Some clients are only able to cook in this way. Cooking in a kitchien is
alien to them.

They have the choice…pay 60€ forfait menage or leave the place exactly as they found it…bbq included.

2 Likes

Too right!

And if they murder a new barbecue then they have to pay for a new one.

So after all this advice for additions, what is the production schedule and price…Xmas 2021 and €1000 !!!

I don’t know what your gîtes are like but Barbara’s are marketed as being super snazzy smart exclusive far too recherché to be on le bon coin etc so I’m surprised at the do your own cleaning. If I’m staying in some (see previous list of adjectives) gîte or holiday house I’d expect to pay more (which - if I am the clientele expected - I can) and have someone else do cleaning cooking laundry etc.

If staying in a normal nice gîte then obv you leave it ‘besenrein’ as they say in German but I wouldn’t be doing a deep-clean or sandblasting the bbq, that’s not what I go on holiday for.

3 Likes