Here are 24 cognitive biases that are warping your perception of reality

No need for me to add any text, this article explain us humans fairly well.
Or what say you, does it?

2 Likes

Didn’t James post that a few months back? Or maybe not
I know I’ve seen it before and I don’t use many social fora.

1 Like

Ups, if so , I am sorry.
As people write all sorts of comments, ‘small chats’, on any subject I am not able to find, or search, if something has already been posted or not.
Only way would be to read EVERYthing, but as I have a life I cannot do that. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

It was more a comment about my faulty memory than a double posting

2 Likes

well
yes and no. No one having any real clues about reality anyhow

My theory is, without a shred of anyone’s knowledgeable input, and sans any proof or evidence you can touch etcetc
that brain research still being in its infancy compared to most other physiological studies, there may be some fundamental, gigantic errors, bending other conclusions out of shape. One seems to me to be, that humans , because of quite superficial influences, have become accustomed to working with the already fractured, but still firmly established, division of “male/female”. So any investigation, beginning there, is a distorted view of what collective or individual reality may be.
In fact, just as more recent research puts greater significance on “emotional quotient”, before " intelligence quotient", this kind of cognitive bias list, fails to take into account of a measurable and
significant influential aspect of brain science. That is “mature” brain, compared to “immature” brain. ie brain errors that may be categorized as the outcome of lack of full development, an immature brain , that “adult” humans may make, too, but become less likely to , by observation and practice together with mature brain chemical changes that take place.
Those attributes/traits that have been currently/,traditionally awarded to male or female, become more “real”, considered in this immature/adult context.
:relaxed:

1 Like

Interesting! Yes a lot of things are not yet known.

I recently listened to a talk regarding male-female, medicine is often tested on men and then portioned out to women regardless of such as very basic differences, such as XX vs XY chromosomes, how do those really work?

Not everybody has all 24 biases so there are of course a lot of variations.

I am fascinated by ‘coincidences’, statistically and whatnotically you can explain these, but I am not so sure we understand everything abut them , I think there is more to be found out.

1 Like

Yes! Synchronicity!? I’ve searched for ages, in case someone like Christopher Hitchens ever made any attempt to bury that! But not one_squeak, so, it seems to suggest, until proven otherwise, real insight into collective unconscious? Or all kinds of communication no one has dreamed of.!
You know, its scientifically demonstrated now that trees communicate, “care for” other trees and own environment etc. sub soil, Avoiding the beastly woo woo at all costs, there’s so much more to “know”, and a shocking grandiose, over confidence, to imagine human information, is more than a smattering, of all that’s possible! :grin:

1 Like

Reality is an illusion created by the lack of alcohol :beer::beer::beer:

3 Likes

Spot on!

1 Like

Synchronicity, yes that is very interesting phenomena, many have experienced situations that are too much of a chance. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Or all kinds of communication no one has dreamed of.!”@anon78757855

Very profound thinking here, Jeanette, if a little pessimistic. Lots of sensible and intelligent people share your perceptiveness.

I think the way we “see the world” is physically and culturally determined and does indeed involve patterning of brain structure and function, with a relatively modern over-reliance on left-hemisphere functioning and some acquired reduction in the coordination and synthesis of left-right brain functionality, the development of language, and of metaphors, the mental constructs we live by, and cultivate in our use of language.

Fixed duality premises go beyond male and female. They embrace and extend to up-versus-down assumptions, in-versus- out assumptions, here-versus-there duality, now-versus-then duality, true-false dichotomies and a blizzard of others : all of which are perceptual assumptions based on our physical embodiment, and reinforced by language: “taken-for-granted” assumptions that are arguably not connected with ‘reality’ (which you suggest should not something we should be too sure about, and I agree
:grinning:). I see ‘reality’ as a useful tool, handy for certain undertakings, but only a convenient artefact.

Not all cultures are as fossilised as the one we were born to, and many are more imaginative, creative, playful and at ease with their fellows, and with their their collective, alternative experience. Like you, perhaps, and @Mark! (See his wise words re beer :beer::beer::beer:)

2 Likes

Synchronicity, yes that is very interesting phenomena, many have experienced situations that are too much of a chance". :slight_smile:
[/quote]

The italics above are mine.

Perhaps how much chance is too much chance is better left as an open question?

Mark, I know that this is a traditionally fun thing, of Brit culture. But never, never, never, will I share the view that dependence, (for whatever reason, and for however long,) on alcohol or any stupéfiant, is, in fact, anything but solid grief.
Can there be one single Brit who hasn’t yet felt the horrible pain of watching a beloved somebody, destroying themselves, via booze? My cousin, he was OK. A bit of a fool, but not seriously so. He made people laugh, by killing himself. So many years ago, but still brings tears to my eyes.

I guess I wrote gibberish as I so often do :dizzy_face:, I was thinking of events that I and/or family experienced. Too personal to write about.

Replying to @anon78757855 re ‘dependence and grief’

Dependence does have very adverse consequences, and is characterised by excess. All forms of excess tend to cause adverse consequences. But only a minority of people who use alcohol do so to excess.

1 Like

I guess I wrote gibberish as I so often do :dizzy_face:@anon57071659

Not gibberish at all, Peter, a valid comment that I thought was worth developing. Issues of synchronicity, coincidence, chance and probability theory are beyond my mental capability to fathom, but the way they’re understood by people of different cultures is fascinating.

Like you, I have had experiences validated by respected and sceptical others, that have challengd my certainties about what is real.

2 Likes

Peter, “dependence” does not, for me, and for millions of others, mean “excess”. “Excess”, in this case, suggests ," more than a culturally acceptable amount". But that’s not what I mean by “dependent”. Everyone, who feels that alcohol is a necessary addition to every social event, everyone who feels uneasy at a party without a_" drink", everyone who feels alcohol is an essential part of any meeting of friends/ family etc
 Every one of those people is “dependent” on alcohol.

1 Like

haha! Peter! Should I be comforted to know that
"lots of sensible and intelligent people share my perceptiveness “?..and my ‘thinking is very profound’!
“Pessimistic” is puzzling. How so?
And no, I don’t think of reality as “something we should not be too sure about”, I think of it as unknown and likely, unknowable!
So far, the top best of human investigation/knowledge/endeavor is still scrabbling around on the lower slopes, of any peaks or mountains of understanding, of " reality”.
And no. I’m not, not for a moment talking about any kind of “supernatural” . I don’t feel the smallest obligatory inclination to fill in empty spaces with quasi science or “explanations” or reasons and causes etc . I’m fine with “mystery” and Not Knowing, as well as plausibility, discovery, investigation. :blush:

1 Like

Hi, Jeanette, relishing your spiky responses.

“Or all kinds of communication _no-one has dreamed of.!” @anon78757855”

You seem very certain of this. How will you justify your certainty? I know you don’t have to justify anything, but an ‘out-there’ assertion like that deserves to be investigated as to its plausibility, don’t you think? :grinning:

1 Like

download
Very good! Peter!thank you! I’m glad you (among micro few) don’t mind spikey. I didn’t go to charm school and would love to join my g’sons karate class. OK !! No one has ever dreamed of, 
too extravagant, sounds like a statement of
 f a c t 
despite my reassurances of knowing nothing.
Haven’t got any facts. Don’t know anything for sure. I’m OK with any surprises that come my way
:grin:

1 Like