High quality, high potency vitamin D3?

In this last month I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the days when we’ve had sun. I feel I need a vitamin D3 supplement. Anyone any suggestions please?
I was on high potency vit D3 through winter (one a month) via our MT, but he decided I didn’t need any more so looking to get something off prescription.

Perhaps you might consider a daily multi-vitamin with an appropriate D3 content from the supermarket.

1 Like

Hi Sue, I have been taking extra vitamin D3 since the start of the covid pandemic. I am sure you’ll get different ones to what I buy in the UK but I take 4000iu / 100micrograms daily. An Israeli doctor on John Campbell’s video said he often takes double that in winter as they tested several athletes who were out in the daytime and still found them to be low.
Also zinc and vitamin c to keep immune system healthy during these times.

2 Likes

Ideally you should ask your doctor for a blood test so you know where you are. Perhaps the time you have an appt? Everyone is so different about how they absorb and retain vit D that what’s fine for one person is insufficient for another.

Alternatively it seems you can buy self tests. I have no idea how accurate they are but I know our pharmacy did sell them for a while so I guess not total hokum.

So many types available in different shops that can’t suggest a brand as I have prescription colecalciferol drops. Look for D3 rather than D2, and check on manufacturing/what it comes from. Algal sources better than fish oil which is often made from rancid stuff. Probably totally safe but I don’t fancy the idea!

I think 4000UI as John suggests is too high if you have no idea of your levels. Not unsafe, but I tend to avoid extremes as I tend to think they can cause others things, like calcium, to go out of range. Or perhaps for a week or two and then drop to maintenance dose of 800 - 1000UI. I take 1200UI a day and have levels tested every few months. That amount should keep me in the normal zone as I struggle to retain vit D, so lower amounts did nothing.

And eat mushrooms.

(Edit: seems you can buy tests and drops on line from Germany. Drops are better absorbed but can’t get them OTC here I think).

5 Likes

Didnt know you can get self test kits, I will look into that ta.

In France, many people were given Vitamin D over last winter, because it was felt that the various lockdowns would have caused deficiencies as many people were spending less time outside. My wife was given high dose phials of liquid Vitamin D to take because it was felt she was in a group that was susceptible. She has issues absorbing calcium, and Vitamin D3 aids calcium absorption. She now takes regular Calcium/D3 tablets one per day at 500mg/400ui. She buys them from an online pharmacy in Germany, where they are much cheaper than in France.

1 Like

Following on from Jane’s post maybe get a test, if you do need them get your prescription back?

I buy my 4000UI vitamin D3 from from Amazon UK:

1 Like

Thanks everyone - I’ll be back later to reply more specifically.

Does the Mutuelle kick in and pay the balance of the VitD3 costs… ???

It did for me when the blood test showed I was deficient. Now I’m on a maintenance dose for 5 years - on prescription and paid for by the usual arrangements.

1 Like

So many other suppliers available!

At a better price?

Quite possibly. I can certainly usually find a match. But I view price as being wider than what I pay, and prefer companies that contribute to society. And don’t practice unfair competition. The only reason Amazon undercuts is that avoids taxes which smaller more honest companies pay.

1 Like

My doctor has prescribed Vitamin D for many years. I think he does it routinely for all his older patients. But he does also ask for regular blood tests to check whether it is needed.

I used to get a vial containing a huge dose to be taken every three months but I now get a small bottle of Dedrogyl and have five drops a day in water.

Pharmacies will have non-prescription alternatives.

Thanks everyone for your comments
@Robert_Hodge I tend to find that supermarket multi-vitamins are not potent enough. On the whole, I prefer to get my vitamins from what I eat, but just feel I need a boost of something specific from time to time.

I had a prescription for something similar monthly - tasted lovely.

Thanks Jane, and for your other comments. He gave me one and that’s how we found out I was deficient. I’ve got another one to do, but he wants me to wait. He says my readings will be all over the place post pacemaker op.

Thanks for the reminder. I saw that video. All of this is so much easier to do in the UK as so much more is available off-prescription.

Are you finding stuff like that still comes through OK Nigel? I’ve given up on Amazon UK and am only buying now within Europe

Without a prescription? If so, that’s worth knowing.

Can I get a blood test done without a prescription? I assumed I needed my MT say-so and he’s already said not right now.

Thanks again for all your thoughts, I’ll have a hunt around

Hi, l have been taking Vitamin D3 supplements after l was found to be deficient in Vitamin D3 that was not helping a diagnosis of osteoporosis. I have my D3 blood test each year, and so does my husband who was found to have low levels as well. Since 2010 l have been using Life Extension Vitamin D3, which is the brand l was originally provided with. I order it via I-herb, and it is delivered efficiently from the USA. No problems, we take more in the winter - 5000 IU three times a week. In summer usually no more than 1000 IU a day. You really do need to check your blood levels - know how low you are before you start, either get the test prescribed by your GP in France or pay yourself.

Yes, you just pop into a lab and pay for it.

(We get a few things from online pharmacies in Germany, not vit D as don’t need to but a eczema cream not sold here)

Uvedose- ugh, nasty stuff thatnleft a horrid greasy taste. Each to their own :grinning:

I bought my last batch from Amazon UK in November 2021.
No problems at all, so assuming that the price is still competitive, I’ll also buy my next lot from Amazon UK . If I’m asked for any customs duty or VAT, I’ll refuse the package and not use Amazon UK again.

I am trying to find a source not using sunflower oil.