Homeopathy, does it work?

Decanter to keep your best booze in :rofl:

Iā€™m not sure if homeopathy works or not. I have used arnica for inflammation and it seems to help. Never heard the word lithotherapy until this post but i have put my hands in a huge amethyst block in a crystal shop and could definitely feel an energy, suggestibility? Who knows.
What does intrigue me is the freedom that people feel able to rubbish these ?pseudoscientific subjects in a way that they would not do so forcefully if the subject was belief in God and religion in general. Yet surely religion, based on faith, is just as dubious a concept. I suppose we still have a respect for religious beliefs.
Also many scientists believe in God.
Strange, imo.

3 Likes

Do you use arnica internally (granules/pillules) or topically (cream/balm)ā€¦???

Years ago and years before I had my kids someone gave me a handbag that they no longer usedā€¦it was empty except for a handful of crystals in one of the many zipped pocketsā€¦I asked if they had meant to give me the crystals too and did they want them backā€¦??? They said that they had never had any crystals and didnā€™t even know they were in thereā€¦so I viewed them as a gift from the universeā€¦I was also well into astrology and the tarot at the timeā€¦

Iā€™ve always been drawn to amethyst and have several pieces around my homeā€¦also rose quartzā€¦amongst othersā€¦

My mom really likes amber and one of my daughters has an array of different crystals that she places around her home to balance energy and intentionā€¦x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use the pillules. I have had back problems for 35 years and have also had Reiki and was given rose quartz to help me when my back was getting me down, whether or not it did I cannot say.
I have used an osteopath for many years and also use acu pressure on myself which I find very effective.
When my daughter was only 8 months old I bent to pick her clean nappy off the floor where I had dropped it, she leaned over the changing unit and fell before I could catch her. She had a bright red mark on her forehead, I gave her an arnica tablet and she didnā€™t bruise at all.
Personally I will try most natural remedies if they are safe. I worked for over 20 years in a hospital laboratory so I feel I have seen both sides of treatment. For me there should be a co existence and a willingness to understand other professionals points of view.
I was horrified when only last year my bil had to go to hospital and when he mentioned heā€™d been to an osteopath the youngish dr said ā€˜we donā€™t believe in that stuff here.ā€™ Really!
I sometimes feel that if big pharma introduced a natural remedy as the new wonder drug with supporting blurb and a list of side effects the medical profession would snap it up. After all aspirin is a natural remedy used every day by millions of people!

1 Like

Also amber necklaces are very popular for teething babies. My niece who is not at all suggestible swore by one for her babies.

Amber is really interestingā€¦itā€™s on my wish listā€¦x :slight_smile:

Helios in uk provide many combined homeopathic remediesā€¦they deliver internationallyā€¦

Arnica is brilliant and I would never be without itā€¦nor aconite at the first sign of injury or illnesss to help prevent the body from going into shockā€¦

You would maybe benefit from a combined remedyā€¦??? Combined and in one pillule acting on muscle involvementā€¦tendon involvementā€¦joint involvementā€¦nerve involvementā€¦bone involvementā€¦ and inflammationā€¦I always have this tooā€¦x :slight_smile:

Arnicaā€¦calendulaā€¦hypericumā€¦rhus toxā€¦rhuta grav and symphtytum

1 Like

I think that one of the the most effective remedies I ever took was a three-month course of TCM ( presribed for me by a practitioner from Red China in the early 1980s, TCM in its natural herbal form was banned in UK).

It comprised a dozen paper bags full of dried leaves, twigs, ground up shells and bones, and other odd ingredients of unknown (to me) provenance, and labelled in pictograms.

One bag of these had to be boiled up in a large volume of water to make a very strong and bitter, smokey-tasting ā€˜teaā€™, two full glasses every day at 12 hour intervals over three months.

The aim was not to cure illness but to ā€œrebalance all the inter-related chi channels and systems in the organism, and restore healthā€. TCM is essentially preventive and restorative, but I found it astonishingly effective. Amongst other things it made it possible for me to quit smoking overnight. The other health benefits were huge.

Has anyone else experienced it. I regard its being banned as a huge loss. It does not, by and large, set out to replace ā€œWesternā€ medicine, but to reduce the need for it in most or all diseases except trauma.

A friend in uk suffering from a life limiting lung conditionā€¦really struggles with his breathingā€¦(not asthma not cancer not copdā€¦Iā€™ll edit this when I remember the conditionā€¦???) went to a Chinese herbalistā€¦he was given similar to what you describe and felt so much better for itā€¦he wasnā€™t able to sustain the affordability of the private treatment though ā€¦he spends weeks at a time in hospital and over time has had various stents put in that have caused more problems with secondary infection than they appear to have helpedā€¦

This is herbal medicine, letā€™s not confuse it with a potion made by diluting the original product to a point where none of it can be found in the sample to be administered.

3 Likes

I donā€™t personally use herbal medicineā€¦only homeopathicā€¦x :slight_smile:

I think most people who have an allegiance to TCM would be aware of the distinction, @Corona, though itā€™s fair to make it here.

TCM practitioners usually also offer acupuncture as an adjuvant treatment. My own practitioner was professionally educated and trained to an equivalence to a western masterā€™s degree in TCM, which took six years. I canā€™t recall the university but I did investigate and it seemed to have academic legitimacy in the west.

Hmm, my O/H also went to a acupuncturists, a very highly regarded and highly qualified in London. It was very painful and did not work. An adjuvant therapy along side sticking pins in was an infrared lamp. After 6 treatments and considerably lighter in the purse I convinced her to stop, bought an infrared lamp and was pleased that she reported the infrared lamp was doing all the work in relieving her pain and discomfort.

@Corona ā€œI convinced her to stopā€¦ā€

Who pays the piper calls the tune. And, no incivility whatsoever intended to your OH or to you, John, thereā€™s no use flogginā€™ a dead 'oss! :grinning:

Therapeutically, yes. Chemico-biologically, no. There, that was easy :smiley:

7 Likes

Thanks Peter ! Some great laugh-out-loud moments there !! :joy::joy::joy:

The beer at the end made the joke perfect! :smile::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s an interesting article out that noticed a correlation between measles vaccination and a decrease in infant mortality from other diseases, when it was first introduced in the USA.

Correlation doesnā€™t always equal causation but I am interested in reading the article.

1 Like

No. Nor does acupuncture, crystal therapy and a whole host of pseudoscientific hogwash. If it worked it would be mainstream medecine. Nor is the earth flat, nor created in 7 days. Reality is fantastic enough dog save me from fairy stories.

1 Like