Horse Mutilations

There is a strong link between child abuse and animal abuse unfortunately.

1 Like

Latest from the gendarmes:

Keep a close eye… regular visits…
don’t leave a halter easily available…
put up a “spy” camera or some such…

phone 17 if anything suspicious or if things have been moved, or look disturbed…

1 Like

Spy camera could be a clincher, if people can afford them, might catch them.

there are many sorts available… I know folk who are putting them in woods/wherever to see wildlife…

not expensive and easy to use…

I sat for a lady who had a cat camera so she could keep an eye on her young Maine Coon while she was at work.

1 Like

Heard this evening, but yet to be confirmed… of yet another happening
I do hope this proves to be an exaggeration/mistake…

It makes me feel all vigilante. Where’s my motorbike and chain?

1 Like

Anybody who can do this sort of damage, to either animals or humans(murder) is definitely damaged…it is very frightening. To indiscriminately kill animals like this is depraved. It is truly sickening, obviously. Hard to look at and take in.

for heaven’s sake… this poor animal was only unattended for one hour…

As someone who is almost a Jane (Hindu religious sect) who avoids killing anything that doesn’t directly threaten me or mine, I am equally horrified by this cruelty, but, a small point about the legal implications of spy cameras.

Isn’t it the case that in France it is against the law to direct a camera to a public space?

Hardly seems to matter these days when so many of us have dashcams, but, just wondering if it is ever enforced?

David … folk are allowed to use cameras on their own land… and this is an excellent way of keeping an eye on livestock and what wildlife might be coming and going across the land…

Viewing the public at large … is a very different setup.

Yes, but that is the point I am making. If I am plagued by vandals attacking my property from beyond my front gate, it would be illegal to set up a camera to id them. Apparently.

There was a humerous aside in a Swedish/Danish film I have been watching when the humourless and very literal detective obtained cctv footage from a shop owner in order to id someone in the street outside, and then, on leaving said to her partner, ‘book him for offending public privacy’. The poor owner said to the 2nd detective ‘is she serious?’ and the grim reply was, ‘believe me, she is’ :laughing:

So perhaps Martin can enlighten us as to whether Sweden or Denmark do indeed have a similar law. :wink:

David… why not visit your Mairie and discuss using a camera… if you do, indeed wish to use one.

David… why not visit your Mairie and discuss using a camera… if you do, indeed wish to use one.

Because it was a hypothetical question, I am not so plagued, far from it we don’t even lock our doors here, and I have no need of such a camera.

However I would have to plead guilty if charged after filming a dog who wandered towards the gate thereby prompting a brief view of the house next door. :astonished:

As c’mon Stella!! I know your Mairie appears to be a cross between the ECHR / Que Choisir and probably run by Bob Geldorf but the average Mairie’s secretary / maire are unlikely to be able to give solid advice on legal precedents!!

I would suggest asking the police. Seems a more sensible course of action. If you actually want to install a camera that will cover public spaces of course…

4 Likes

I’m not being a grammar nazi really… but Jain is spelled Jain. I’ve lived among Jains and they would be puzzled to be all named Jane :slightly_smiling_face:

except Jains called Jane of course.

3 Likes

I worked in India for quite a while and most of the people with whom I worked were Jains - some even the very observant ones who wear a mask and sweep the pavement before them just in case.
The downside of the not killing is that even if you see a wretched run-over pariah dog or dying beast on the side of the road you just leave them to it :pensive: and they die slowly and horribly. This isn’t pointing the finger at Jains by the way, just a general observation about India.

2 Likes

Ha ha…

Clearly, for those with horses… who fear such problems as are being experienced currently… the gendarmes are there to help and advise and I have already given their contact details on this thread.

For someone wishing to fix a camera on their property, but who fears falling foul of “a law”… here, in the countryside, it is about evens… between Mairie and Gendarmerie … just depends which one a person feels more at ease with.

Many folk do not wish to approach Gendarmes (although I have always found them very approachable.)

Just over a year ago… to do with terrorism or somesuch… the commune was put on alert and everyone was asked to report to the Mairie any sightings of cameras where none should be. In other words if I found a camera in my trees, I must report it asap to the Mairie… (who were presumably in touch with folk higher up…)

The chasseurs had many cameras, which they themselves reported to the Mairie … just to keep the records straight…

Here, certainly, the Mairie is the key source of information and advice.
but, we are in the heart of the countryside… deepest, darkest… wonderful countryside. :hugs: :hugs:

Thanks for the clarification, I have seen it spelled correctly before, must have been a long time ago though :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

@vero. Glad I said ‘almost a Jain’ then, passing by with out helping is definitely not in my creed, I don’t sweep up before me either but I do avoid anything in my path if I can. :slightly_smiling_face:

Some of the quirks of Jainism and what they do, changing clothes after contact with anything belonging to non-Jains, must be hard work.

1 Like