Horseradish Sauce

I have used some I brought from the UK and some from the Ukraine and Portugal off eBay with great success.

eBay Horseradish

Hi Jane. I always make sure I support our local family owned shops in Marseillan. The fresh produce is way much better than at the local Carrefour and I get to use my mix of Kiwi/British/French dialogue to amuse the locals in the way I say French words. And then, of course, I get a lesson in the ā€œcorrectā€ way to say the word. I so enjoy the interaction and learn a bit more each time :slight_smile:

Stay safe - Steve

1 Like

We used to see it growing on the side of the road near Stroud.
Perhaps it does the same here.

Horseradish - also marvellous with smoked mackerel.

3 Likes

If one intends to take horseradish from the verges beware that it is difficult to differentiate from Aconiteā€¦look it up.

1 Like

Canā€™t remember how to say a one size fits all thank you. I love the comments. Sticking with horseradish, hereā€™s a challenge for you all. I thought I liked Wasabi nuts which as you know are made from raifort. OMG. Nearly had a heart attack. Now, what do I do with 250g of the things. If I invest in a grinder do you think I can make a paste from them- ergo horseradish sauce???

Wasabi and raifort aka horse radish are two different plants from the same family. They donā€™t produce nuts. You probably have peanuts or another type of nut covered in wasabi.

1 Like

sorry - thatā€™s what I meant - peanuts covered in wasabi
didnā€™t know it was two diff plants - raifort listed in ingredients - learn something new every day on this forum! :bulb:

If you ā€œnearly had a heart attackā€ with ā€˜weakā€™ horseradish flavour, I would suggest that you stay well clear of real Wasabi. :grinning:

A lot of stuff marketed as Wasabi has never been near a Wasabi plant, but is a mix of horseradish, yellow mustard and food colouring.

Real wasabi is hugely more powerful than horseradish and phenomenally more expensive. If you can afford it, it isnā€™t wasabi.

But yes, grind up your ā€œwasabiā€ coated peas or peanuts and use in sauces.

1 Like

Buy some Wasabi plants. I got 6 at 2,95ā‚¬ each from my local nursery.

Now thatā€™s a good idea!

But SO sinusexplodingly fabulousā€¦ definitely worth it.

They need to grow in running water, donā€™t they?

Cool, shady and damp and no colder than -5.

No they donā€™t need running water, we have grown them in pots and at the edge of our pond.

Growing wasabi

1 Like

and in Super U

I had a bladderexplodingly not-fabulous experience with fresh h/radish sauce.

Full-on Sunday roast beef lunch at the now sadly bankrupt, formally fabulous Sharrow Bay Hotel, Ullswater. I lashed on the h/rad as per the Colemanā€™s edition.

Two hours later, way out on Windermere in a wonderful steam powered skiff, I felt the urgently urgent urge to pee. The skipper, the owner/creater of the Steamboat Museum said ā€œGo ahead. I do when Iā€™m out here fishingā€ But then, 10 mins later, the urgent urge again ā€¦ this went on and on and on. I was in the grip of a very powerful emetic and it wouldnā€™t let go.

I learned something about horse radish sauce that day. Never mind clearing your sinuses, your bladder gets wrung out like a wet rag.

I think you mean diuretic,not emetic

1 Like

Correct. Must get my orifices sorted.

2 Likes

I have a similar problem. Plenty of leaves but very little root.