Hot Tub - Advice please

Really happy with ours, it goes away for the winter in November and comes back out in March, it is really easy to clean and with the hard foam sides easy to dismantle and erect back up.
Cannot really help with the running costs as with the sustained low 30-40C we had during the summer, it didn’t take much heating.
We used it most nights and I don’t miss the jets from our old one as I’m not really a fan and I prefer to go in for a hot soak after a day working on the farm conversion, we only use the bubbles for the last 20 min, the air pump is really strong on it.
This will be our 3rd summers use and so far we have had no problems with it, we find the surrounding furniture to be well built and really useful as well.
We got ours in a sale for around the €1460 mark.
I fill the unit up on its side with vinager to get any limescale out as we have really hard water before emptying and storing for the winter.

Heater elements are usually 2-3kW. How long it needs to be heated depends on the temp to start with obviously. Spa jet pumps usually around 1-2 kW for the water pump but only on for 10 mins or so. Air pumps commonly 900W to 1.2kW. But again only on for 10mins or so. Pumps have to cool off a bit so dont run continuously.
If you have a gas/oil boiler you could run that via a temperature limiting mixer valve to give you instant heat at less cost unless you can use solar.

1 Like

As we have so much strong sun here I’ve been looking at harnessing the sun to help heat the water by recirculating through pipework, as I remember water in a garden hose coming out scalding hot last year.

What you experienced with the hose can be misleading. That’s a very small amount of water in a hose that is exposed to the sun all day. It’s bound to be scalding hot. Using the sun to heat large volumes of water is a lot more complicated. @Corona probably knows a lot more about the subject than I do.

1 Like

The idea would be to recirculate the spa water through coiled black pipework, not to fill the spa. Quite a few ideas on the net that look interesting.

You need a good few mtrs of black pipe.

Taken the plunge with a Netspa :grin: so now need to swat up on how to maintain it :+1::+1: now looking forward to getting it rolling in Spring/Summer​:partying_face::partying_face:

2 Likes

:sunglasses::sunglasses: out of interest, do you have cats ?

Its only a small amount of water rounghly 1-2m3 so dont get suckered into expensive chems when a quick water change is easier and cheaper but a resonable test kit not dip strips is advisable.

It depends on how much it costs to heat the water. It takes about 1.1Kwh to heat a cubic metre of water by one degree celsius. for a comfy temperature, you’ll probably raise it by 15 to 20C, which is a lot of leccy. Agree about test strips, they’re useless.

What is the current price per kW?
Also, I dont mean changing the water all the time on a personal only use tub, but you can easily maintain it with low cost eau de javel etc rather than €30-40 tubs of this and that.

We got our tablets and test kit out of Gifi in a sale, so they weren’t dear and had no problems with the water last year, we only changed it once, mainly because one of the cats jumped in :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Keeping the water temp down was more of a problem than up for us last year, we had to run the bubbles to cool it down quite a few times :joy:

1 Like

Probably one of the most important water test is the tap water you are using, thats worth a couple of euros for a proper test at a pool shop (not using test strips) so many do.
From there you have the best insight as to whether anything really needs adjusting or just a bit of sanitiser (javel) tablets contain a lot of other stuff like CYA which is not really relevant to a hot tub which spends most of it time with the cover on.

1 Like

That’s what we did as well. Much cheaper than the others.

I think for us it’s now about 19c per Kwh, so about €3.5 to heat and not exactly sure about price of water, but around €2.5 per cubic metre. So around €6 in total.

As with the pool thread the other day, two main types of tablet and usually the cheaper ones have 1/3rd less chlorine and more of what you dont need in a spa.

€6 occassionally should you have an issue is quicker and lower cost than a suggestion from a pool shop on how to clear up an issue.

A 20ml capful of javel is probably the lowest cost way to maintain the water without adding other stuff you dont need.
Just suggestions

1 Like

@griffin no cats of my own but I do seem to get a few prowling around, for which I’m actually quite grateful, given the amount of wildlife around where I am :grinning:

That’s ok then, we have 9 and they take to sleeping on the cover for heat and if not under cover it sags with the water pooling on it.
I made a slightly bowed cross piece out of two pieces of aluminium bar drilled and bolted in the middle that supports the lid/cover and domes it letting the water run off.
I got one of the inflatable lid that sits on top of the spars, under the cover which the cats find makes a really comfortable bed, we can have four of them asleep in the sun.

couvercle-gonflable-pour-spa-octogonal-netspa-novagarden-octopus-python-rover-et-silver

2 Likes

I do have the luxury of my own well, so the actual water is effectively free, but I obviously have to pay the electricity to pump it. The pump pumps just over 2m3/hour and it’s 1.5Kw, so to pump 1m3 to fill the spa it would be 0.75kwhr. For the heating of the water I have alot of land so space for black pipe is no issue to try to heat via solar. But even if I have to top it up with the spa heater, I don’t expect to have to use much grid elec. And let’s remember with tempo that elec cost just under 0.09 euro/kwhr off peak and just under 0.13 euro/kwhr peak on blue days, which will be most days during the ‘spa period’ of the year :partying_face:

I was looking at those inflatable tops yesterday, as I thought it would be helpful to maintain the temperature overnight, combined with the cover supplied with the spa. What I also looked at yesterday was how to construct a surround for the spa, including insulation, which I think would also help to achieve a more consistent temperature.

Must say, when I was doing a bit of research on the Netspa, one of the points I liked was that spares etc seem to be readily available. Not sure you’d get that to the same degree with many of the other low cost inflatable spas.

Yes, that attracted me as well. You can get all the individual bits of the pump unit, and if you don’t want to / can’t repair it yourself if it goes wrong, you can purchase a reconditioned unit.

1 Like