Hot Tub - Advice please

Just generic filters, same size and look exactly the same.
You only get one filter with the spa and we have been using the generic ones for over a year without any problems.

1 Like

Thanks Tory :sunglasses: I will post an update once we have caught up with everything at the farm as it’s been hectic since we got back, the gardens seem to have exploded since we have been away :laughing:

3 Likes

Well, I bought the Netspa Octopus 3 weeks ago, and I’m pretty impressed. I do miss the water jets I used to have on my Layzspa, but the cats punctured it too many times so I needed a non inflating one.
Also using bromine rather than chlorine, taking more care with alkalinity and a regular oxy shock has made the water much easier to manage and still absolutely sparkling clean after 3 weeks.
It’s going to get a lot of use in the next few weeks as the highs here will be above 35C for the foreseeable :fire::thermometer::sweat:

I thought all outdoor spas and pools were banned now with water restrictions?

so that would be 2000 euros, (based on 2 euros/litre x 1000 ltr )

Not here. I check regularly. When I filled 3 weeks ago, there were no restrictions at all here. Last week, we went to ‘Vigilance’, which means that you are encouraged to save water, but it’s not enforced.

personally i wouldn’t bother with a 2 man as they are very cramped so if you have budget go for 5 , and choose the jet locations carefully, Ive just bought a new one in UK for 6K and its excellent. We left our old 8 person one in France and its over 15 years old and still going strong. They are not maintanance free and you need to keep on top of the chemicals (i use active oxygene all off amazon) and shock if its used a lot. Also a pain if power goes on and off as it does frequently in mid France. Take a careful look at the lid they usually need replacing every 2 years and the thicker the better for heating bill, also take care on the insulation of the tub although i see a lot of DIYers spraying lots of expanding foam round pipes etc good luck , enjoyed hot tub ownership for many year, but its not withought cost. My new one is controlled by wifi which is quite useful

I find it amusing that folks on another thread are criticising the use of chemicals for weedkilling, yet some of the same are more than prepared to sit in a bath full of water with chlorine or bromine etc.

5 Likes

It’s better than sitting in a bath full of bacteria and algae :open_mouth:. It’s also only very small concentrations, and if you want, you can just use oxygen based products, or ozone or salt based spas.

I think it’s a grey area, our restrictions say ‘topping up’ pools to a maximum of 1 cubic metre but the average spa has a capacity less than that so in theory you could change the water regularly and still be compliant.

I’ll just leave this here…

Oxygen based chems are just oxidisers and not sanitisers unlike chlorine or bromine. That said I wouldnt sit in a bromine tub, its simply more toxic to humans than chlorine but hey the industry wont publish that information. Salt based passes through a electrolyser cell that breaks the salt down into chlorine. Ozone can be very nasty stuff and attacks the trachea and lungs. Bare in mind your mouth and nose are right where the vapour is.

Why??

And in the tub! :grinning: Sorry, couldn’t resist.

3 Likes

Did that on purpose :joy:

2 Likes

Adding sodium bi-carbonate (no, not baking soda as some will tell you, but cheap as chips in the supermarket) is supposed to act as an acidity regulator. And, blow me, since I adjusted my alkalinity using it, my pH has been very stable at around 7.4-7.6. Hasn’t budged from that. Haven’t touched the pH+.
Edit: We’re on granite, so we have extremely soft water. Now’t much but H2O.

Ahh I see now, yes bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) is a ph buffer. It buffers quite high hence why those with naturally high alkalinity have constantly rising pH up to around 8.1. Down is some places like Jumilac the water is incredibly soft with alkalinity around 27ppm and very low calcium so in some cases adding a bit more bicarb will prevent the falling pH you have been familiar with.

Sorry for the two ?? But you have to have a minimum of 5 characters before a post is accepted. Definitely Not baking powder!

@hairbear as a matter of interest have you done any analysis as to how much the hot tub costs to run, as currently thinking about getting one for the Summer? Any info would be appeciated. :+1:

Not really. As we have the hot tub out only in the summer months, and we have lots of solar panels, most of the tub heating and operation comes from solar and not the grid. It should be fairly easy to calculate though, given the volume of water and temperature differences. Heating the water for the first time does take a lot of energy, but if you have a decent insulated tub with an insulated top then the temperature doesn’t drop more than a couple of degrees overnight. I got an Netspa Octopus tub last year on the recommendation of @Griffin36 and have been very happy with it. As it’s non inflatable, you don’t get the issues of hard to find air leaks I had with previous tubs.

Thanks for coming back - a great benefit having the solar. I’ll take a look to see if I can make the calculation. If I did get one I’d also plan on just using it in Summer as don’t fancy getting out of it in the cold very windy weather here. Good point about it being not being inflatable. Looks like they do two versions, your 4-6 person size plus a 4 person size, so will take a closer look.