House arrest - let’s look on the bright side!

So…given that we are all confined to barracks until further notice, what are YOU doing to do to pass the time?

Who’s got some (positive!) plans to do some productive stuff that they don’t normally get time to do?

I’m starting with the filing this morning in between the very odd skype lesson and will be writing a list of Things To Achieve later so all suggestions are very welcome!

I am setting up online teaching and exam prep for my pupils and correcting work they send me, marking exam papers for my Bac cadidates in Terminale and Première (new Bac for the latter, so they worry…) and doing end of term admin like reports, filling in people’s parcoursup references and going over their cvs and cover letters…

1 Like

The absolute irony - my freedom to travel arrived this morning (having been without any passport for 6 weeks):

Happy St Patrick’s Day to all.

8 Likes
3 Likes

We are crossing our fingers that our ride on mower will be delivered back to us.
They also repair motor bikes so, presumably will stay open.
I cannot reach them this morning.
If they had picked up the machine when they first said they would, we wouldn’t be in this situation.
I hope we are not going to spend our time watching the grass grow.
I will start a new sweater.

I love all the art and craft ideas which are on Pinterest and I can’t resist buying crafty things for future projects, which I never get around to starting. So, I’ve got absolutely no excuse for not getting stuck in now!

3 Likes

I’m open as normal and trying to cope with panic buying and keeping customers disciplined - got them queueing along the pavement outside! et la suite, ben, on verra…!

oh, and sent my employee straight home when she turned up for work yesterday : her grand daughter had just been confirmed as positive for covid19 and they’d spent all sunday afternoon together!!!

8 Likes

Macron is quite right, we have noticed that the French do not think that laws apply to themselves.
The number of people we see driving when on the 'phone confirms that.
Our daughter in Munich has a permanent cough, to which no amount of investigation has found the answer. I can imagine the Germans calling an ambulance if she goes out shopping.

“The French” whom I have encountered this morning… have all been polite, kept their distance and waited patiently etc etc…

Obviously there is more than one sort of “the French”… :thinking: :smile: :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Is the ENT infrastructure holding up ? My wife spent most of the weekend and all day yesterday getting Microsoft Teams up and running for her virtual classes, and helping her colleagues get to grips with the system, at the business school where she teaches English, only for the management to about-turn (after having told them over the weekend to use it) and say that they wouldn’t be using if after all…management/business school/ go figure…

I think that they have all been virtually rapped over the knuckles last night.

They are worried about data protection and server capacity I believe, the situation keeps changing as more respurces come on line so there is more choice

Jane… I reckon Macron was being very polite… there is no way that anyone can tell if it was/is only “the French” who are doing… whatever… :upside_down_face: :woozy_face:

matt 2

4 Likes

Talking of looking on the bright side, Life of Brian definitely one of the films to watch over the coming days. And we may start watching The West Wing in its entirety for the fourth time. - all 156 episodes. :grin:

2 Likes

I really can’t understand why people find this isolation thing boring . Another thing I can’t understand is why one packet of rice has 8657 grains and the other packet has 8734 grains ?

15 Likes

This has given me time to install the cat flap in our barn.

It has a built in chip reader so hopefully our cats are the only ones that will use it.

5 Likes

The fine was a little low was it not?

Here’s some good news. I have only seen 5 commercial aircraft today. High flying and travelling North, they were presumably repatriating the last stray Brits.
After 9/11, an observant meteorologist noticed that the temperature increased and attributed it to the fact that they had grounded all aircraft. He concluded that the contrails and gas emissions from aircraft had an important effect in reflecting sunlight back into space. So we can expect the already forecast fine weather to be even better than expected.
The bad news is that, if we give up flying, the planet could get even warmer before it gets cooler.

I think most people here spend lots of time on this site and the computer even before this crisis started. Perhaps people will start to appreciate the countryside and been outside more, doing things and not staying in their homes after this has past,
Have a good day.

1 Like