How Easy Can That Be in France?

[quote=“Graham_Lees, post:1, topic:34655”]
In addition to this base of services, users benefit from local partnerships forged between France Services and local support structures: local mission, CCAS or even access to digital initiation workshops for users.
[/quote]

All in French? Methinks so.

Zat iz ze probleme … !

We are in France…

2 Likes

and constitutionally, the language of France is… French! :wink:

1 Like

Worth a read: France judged one of the hardest countries in the world for foreigners to settle in

Interesting article thanks for posting.

“Not only does French — the language — affect expats, but the French — the people — aren’t always particularly helpful, it seems. A Danish expat says that “the French culture is very different, and the French are often not very welcoming”, a view reflected in the 2019 ranking: France has dropped 14 places to 43rd out of 64 for the ease of getting used to the local culture.”

This is not our experience after more than 12 years as an immigrant and every reason why SF is such a useful resource.

Not our experience either. But perhaps the “expats” surveyed were a rather difference group?

1 Like

When we were first here I noticed a distinct lack of help with staff in the supermarkets. One tiny differentiation from the french spoken round here and they became dumb, even though the context should have made it quite obvious what I was talking about.

It’s interesting isn’t it Jane, the different dialects.
V has asked for Lasagne in supermarkets and street markets from the Traiteur and qiute often they look at you with a questioning look and say “comment?” She repeats the request only for them to say “Ah! Lasagne” in what seems exactly the same way she said it! But, there must be a subtle difference somewhere to the French ear.

2 Likes

>When we were first here I noticed a distinct lack of help with staff in the supermarkets.

That may depend upon where you live - even in the southwest of France.

I live in the Gers and if I find anyone at all speaking English it is more than likely a Brit. (If there are Yanks here, I’ve never met them.) A supermarket is a super-boring place to work.

In the larger cities (like Toulouse) the French are far more cosmopolitan and many aircraft-industries are located there. So English is heard commonly and people interact better.

Still, there is no excuse for not learning some French - at least the basics. That perks any French sales-person up when a customer starts the conversation.

I didn’t say that I couldn’t speak French, much more than the basics.
And I live in the East of France.
It was rather because I wasn’t French there was no willingness to help.