How has Brexit Harmed you?

I can drift into food… if you insist… :wink:

5 Likes

This seems to be the de rigour dress code around these parts, mainly spotted clutching copies of the guardian, sprawling outside cafes on sunny days, they are a subspecies of anglo brexitus and are a very dangerous beast !!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that’s surely “Fancy Dress” these days… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Dandy style

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I’ve nearly choked on my tea, working through the link you posted … what a laugh… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

In St. Jean de Luz in the early 90s there used to be a clothing shop called Oxford, that sold what one might have thought of as the traditional clothing of the English gentry - tweeds, baggies etc. Very curious.

2 Likes

Le style anglais is very popular and has been for at least a century, whether it actually looks very anglais is open to interpretation.

2 Likes

I thought that the trousers are normally salmon pink.

Le style anglais antedates the pink trousers+stripy shirt trend. It’s more suits, tweed or other, plus fours etc. French men have been going to tailors in London and their homegrown imitators for ever :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A ‘landed gentry’ huntin’, shootin’ & fishin’ look. Very itchy.

Summer look for the attendee at Henley as posted above - blazer, double cuff cotton shirt, light cotton/linen trousers, Panama hat. Tie optional if you are handsome. Tricky getting the shoes right or just wear old school Oxfords.

Uniform for nobs and nob wannabes lacking in imagination and individual confidence.

Gels in floaty ‘tea dresses’, ballerina flats and pearls.

1 Like

I’ll be going to Henley in the Summer but certainly wont be wearing that getup​:scream::scream::scream:

https://www.hrr.co.uk/regatta-enclosure-dress-code/

IMG_2944

I had a similar experience when I moved to Turks & Caicos - Barclays International refused to let me open an ordinary cheque account, even though I had banked with Barclays in the UK for 20+ years prior. Apparently “Barclays International is a different company” and nothing to do with Barclays UK!!

I had to get my brother (who had both business and personal accounts with them) to call his contact at the bank and sort it out.

As soon as Royal Bank of Canada opened a branch I moved my account across to them. :smiley:

(getting even more off topic) - my motorcycle gear is as pan-European as it’s possible to get - I have a German crash helmet, French gloves, a Belgian leather jacket, Italian boots, and English jeans! :smiley:

My motorcycle however is Japanese.

1 Like

Playing to national strengths?

Though I’m not sure about English jeans, unless they’re
[Men's Straight Cut Selvedge Jean - Raw Denim - Community Clothing

but for me, Octobre and Tuffery are two French companies that make better jeans (Octobre cheaper, Tuffery more expensive, but very special).

Incidentally Japanese denim is amongst the best

I take it that it’s one of these?

They are made by Oxford and are AA safety-rated (woven with aramid fibre plus D30 armour).

Indeed a Honda PanEuropean would be appropriate - but no I went for the Honda NC750S with the DCT (automatic) gearbox:

1 Like

There’s a British Clothing shop there now.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, St Jean de Luz used to have all sorts of Fetes and Festivals… covering various decades/centuries :wink: thus dressing appropriately (for the decade/century) was part and parcel of it all…

Not been there for some years now… but still have very happy memories
(just looked at the posters on my study wall… last Rallye de la Mer we attended was in 2007… and that was the 11th one…)

1 Like