How has Brexit Harmed you?

Personally we noticed little or no difference and certainly haven’t felt ‘harmed’. Going about our daily lives without any ‘Brexit’ issues since the UK left save for the shortage of some British food products, however we will have to learn to live our lives Branston Pickle free. Our Pensions certainly havent suffered significantly as the rate of exchange has been far worse pre Brexit than it is now and in fact these past few months have seen a very reasonable rate.

You can probably make it easily enough :slightly_smiling_face:

It has effected me insofar as elements that knew no better or who thought that they were getting one back at the ‘establishment’ enabled a result which seems to me to be absurd for GB, the country it now is, where it is and as a partnerof the countries with whom it has its principle trading and cultural activities.

I was and am still appalled at the dreadful standard of the politicians who ran the ‘Out’ campaign - wall-to-wall mendacity - and the feeble and ineffectual case put by those who advocated 'Remain’, from Cameron downwards.

It can be summed up by that quip in the Times [or whatever] back-along, “Fog in the Channel. Continent isolated.”

5 Likes

I have always been Coronation Street fan and never missed an episode. Unfortunately my dear wife isnt a fan so I got my fix via ITV hub which i subscribed to so could watch at a time of my choosing.
On 1st January 2021 i was disconnected and told that due to Brexit ITV could no longer link to continental European users.
I know there are gizmos to fool broadcasters so that Iplayer etc can be screened but I cannot be bothered.
We have freeview, netflix and Amazon which is enough.
I cannot forgive Brexit for robbing me of Corrie.
Haven’t watched since and get my fix from SF instead!

2 Likes

This is not really true M.Apples - at least not in the sense that brexit has not adversely affected the exchange rate and therefore made everybody that receives sterling income poorer.

There are many factors - the impact of the 2008 financial crash on sterling was dramatic, and of course recently the Ukraine war has pushed the euro down - but generally sterling was higher before brexit.
This is the exchange rate over the last decade - look at the rise in the euro (fall in the pound) over the brexit referendum period (first half of 2016):

This financial loss has certainly been the most dramatic effect on us - otherwise, it has mainly been a bit more paperwork. On the plus side - it’s been politically enlightening !

1 Like

As a British photographer (currently still living in the UK but planning a move to France when I retire in a few years) Brexit has harmed me directly in the wallet.

Not only because imports to the UK have gone up in price as a consequence of post-Brexit customs costs, but because I can no longer work in the EU. I used to be able to photograph destination weddings which I am now barred from doing (unless I break the law by travelling as a tourist).

99% of the discussion about Brexit (pre and post) was about trade in goods - but the service sector makes up a huge proportion of the UK economy (in 2016, they accounted for 74% of private businesses, 79% of their employment and 72% of their revenue) and the Withdrawal Agreement made zero provision for service businesses like mine to continue to “trade” in the EU.

We were simply ignored - because allowing us to continue to work in the EU required retaining “freedom of movement”, thus breaking the sacred mantra of “taking back control”.

The only way I could work in France or other EU states now would be to set up an EU-based company, which is an overhead I can’t afford.

Thanks Boris.

8 Likes

You’ll provide figures to prove your case no doubt.
When we first came to France over 10 years ago, I recall the rate being much better than before Brexit peaking in 2015 to over 1.42€/£ so your contention seems a bit odd to be honest. The facts show otherwise.
This is a 10 year analysis of the GBP v EUR for the 10 year period 1/09/2012 to 2/09/2022 from this official ECB resource
Brexit took place, if you recall, on 31st January 2020 when the rate was 1.1880 plummeting in March (after Brexit) to 1.0754€/£

4 Likes

I would suggest the greatest harm is the social fracturing of British society and giving centres of weight to those who would seek to polarise. While it’s caused some inconvenience and hardship in some places, the venom it has produced is far worse and all quite uselessly too. There is no possible healing process or path to a better world view for the 2 groups, and future emnity is being carefully solidified into politics and social groups.

Personal harm? My finances may have been affected, but having more than enough to get by at present means that I’m cushioned and protected.

8 Likes

long may that continue…

1 Like

That’s shocking, or it will be.

3 Likes

My son is the Erasmus co-ordination person at his collège and the UK is now not a place they want to take the students to any more due to the red tape, exhorbitant costs andjust general change in attitude to “foreigners”. He and the other teachers are now looking at Ireland for next year but that also presents many problems as french speakers seem to be a bit thin on the ground so the reciprocal visit by the Irish students back here to France would be very difficult regarding communication. There are not many other english speaking countries within easy reach or affordable to parents.

1 Like

is that Northern Ireland or the Republic?

Is this of interest?

Would have to be Eire as NI comes under the UK and brexshite

4 Likes

This year the german students got to go to Berlin on the exchange (my son had to go as well as only two german teachers in his collège) and they had a wonderful time meeting their counterparts and thekids who would be returning here end of June. 24hrs before the Berliners were due to leave for the airport, EJet cancelled their flight with no warning and no refunds. Those students never did make it down here to PO and the french hosts were devastated as the families had gone to a lot of trouble to welcome then and now of course, they have left and gone onto Lycée.

We don’t get the funding. We run an Erasmus plus programme and the UK is no longer on the list of funded countries. Plus all the appalling red tape on both sides of the channel.

2 Likes

So sad, my lycée has gone to Malta the last few years.

Just picked up on this thread and looked at the video (from whom?). One sentence resonated with me, and that was about the new requirements making people have a better understanding of the country they live in. (A paraphrase, can’t remember exact words).

I think that has been a positive. People might have found things convoluted, but this is the way this country works. So having to actually deal with it may well be helpful to people living here in the long term. I have at time been surprised at how little some long term residents know about the country they live in.

(No doubt an unpopular view!!)

3 Likes

Click on the YouTube link in the video and it tells you who posted it.
An extract from the narrative below the video.

Bloomberg Quicktake is a global streaming news network for a new generation of leaders and professionals. Our coverage spans your whole world, from your career ambitions to your personal passions and larger societal concerns. We provide the insights you need to make sense of the trends and stories changing your business and your world.

Bloomberg Quicktake: Explained brings you the context behind the headlines, helping you see the day’s news through the prism of what will matter in the years ahead. Check out our partner channels Bloomberg Quicktake: Originals for original series and Bloomberg Quicktake: Now for breaking global news.

Not at all… I agree with the sentiment you express.

1 Like

Erasmus is available to uk students. My daughter is in Spain about to begin her Erasmus year

Are you sure it’s Erasmus not Turing or whatever the UK replacement is called?

1 Like