How has Brexit Harmed you?

You need freesat.

ā€˜How has Brexit harmed you?ā€™

Itā€™s annoyed and embarrassed me, taken up too much of my time and worried me, but 'harmed ā€™ ? No.

If anything, Brexit has clarified who and what I want to be - not an expat, nor an immigrant, just a citizen of Europe - thatā€™s enough!

8 Likes

I already view for free via freesat! :grin:
Freeview and freesat all the same to me although I understand there is a difference

If you had freest, you would be able to watch Corrie. Sounds like that is an important difference for you!

Yes we do have freesat and I can watch Corrie when it is aired but as mentioned previously my wife is not a fan so being a kind and considerate husband I dont spoil our tv time together.
With the itv hub app I could watch corrie at a time of my choosing without interfering with our life together but have moved on now but will always blame Brexshit for taking my Corrie option away.

Can you not record on your box?

Possibly but we only watch tv in the evening for 2/3 hours and find enough to entertain us.
We had some friends who recorded so many programmes and then realised they simply couldnā€™t find the time to watch them!

Recording programmes is a great way to deal with important and worthy programmes you think you ought to watch but really donā€™t want to. I have many hours of political debates waiting for that day when there is nothing better to do!

Also good for domestic harmony. Recently we have recorded the cricket highlights at 8, and then I go to bed with a book later on and OH can watch in peace. You could do the same with Corrie?

Thanks for the thought Jane.
Have moved on :grin:

Utterly untrue UK electrical regs are unchanged. In reality the EU wanted the UK to cone down to their inferior standards but were rebuffed.

evidence?
The UK standards - at least whilst the UK was a full voting member of the EU - was approved for use in the EU.
Why do you say ā€œinferior standardsā€? Star and ring topologies have their place when correctly implemented, surely.

Having worked as a pro electrician here in France for 15 years (but brought up in the UK & still aware of UK regs) I can assure you that an installation carried out to Franceā€™s current normes are far superior to those on the Isle of Brexit.

I can, of course, still point you in the direction of the many horrific older installations here.

10 Likes

But Erazmus isnā€™t ā€œreciprocalā€, itā€™s not an exchange student scheme. Irish students can choose whatever participating university in whatever EU country they choose.

Jesus Graham, that link gave me laugh :joy:. Especially the "It is spoken throughout Ireland most notably in many Gaeltacht areasā€. That is utter bolix (to use a Gaelic term) :joy: I wonā€™t bore people with the politics of the Irish language but suffice to say the Gaeltach areas (which are tiny) have been subsidised to the hilt forever which is the only reason they pretend to speak Irish. The Irish language is a hobby, not a living language, despite the fortune wasted on promoting it.

1 Like

On the Part P renewal course I did a couple of weeks ago they did say radial wiring is once again being re-considered but unlikely to be approved because ring mains use less wire.
But UK standards are way higher in terms of safety - protective conductors, socket locations in bathrooms, sockets with switches, etc etc.

I donā€™t think that you are au fait with french wiring norms

Yes I amā€¦ but was making a comment about reality not looking for an argument. As in many things French it is what it is :person_shrugging:t2:

Not (always) true.

Consider a ring with 16 sockets, 32A breaker, 2.5mm2, doubled so technically good for 40A (or thereabouts depending on how the cable is installed).

If you want to convert that to a French style star you can simply remove the link between sockets 8 and 9 to give two circuits of 8 outlets - note weā€™re removed ā€‰cable to go from ring to star. Admittedly we now need two 20A breakers.

The ring is much less safe though - if there is a conductor failure you have a 32A breaker feeding two isolated sections of wire, at least one of which, possibly both, will have enough sockets to pull 32A thus overloading the 2.5mm2 cable feeding then. In the French set-up if a conductor fails all that happens is that the downstream sockets donā€™t work.

Mind you Iā€™m not super keen on the fact that the French regs allows for a nominally 16A rated socket (and potentially 0.75mm2 flex) to be on a circuit with a 20A breaker without further protection - at least the fuse in a BS1363 plug protects the socket and flex from the full 32A available from the panel.

All circuits are required to have one in France i.e. no different than the UK.

These must be ā€œhors volumeā€ (i.e. outside a zone of 600mm around a shower or bath) & MUST be protected via a 30mA diffĆ©rentiel i.e. not a risk.

Whilst convenient I donā€™t consider a switched socket to be a safety factor. If you can reach the switch you can unplug the load.

Meanwhile France demands that all final circuits have 30mA protection & all circuits are isolated via double pole breakers. It is also necessary to leave all connections accessible for the lifetime of the installation (i.e. no inaccessible junction boxes) & distribution boards must be fitted within a sensible height range with adequate free space in front of them to allow for proper testing/repairs & interventions as well as convenience for users.

2 Likes

Which is why Iā€™ve always fitted 16A breakers for socket circuits*. 20A is stated in the normes as a maximum for 2,5mmĀ² - there is no minimum.

Agreed, but I can guarantee that I could go into any UK house & find a table lamp (or similar) with 0,75mmĀ² flex & a 13A fuse in the plug. Under my glorious rule no appliance flex would have more than 16A load protection. See * above :arrow_up: