How has Brexit Harmed you?

Yes, that’s what I did when replacing the fuses the previous owner had installed - except for the kitchen where is is possible to have > 4kW load on the circuits (900W microwave, 3kW kettle, 900W coffee machine, 900W toaster though at the moment they are spread between different circuits so I think 3.9kW is the max on one breaker).

Oh, agree completely - in fact I wouldn’t even be so brave as to suggest no inappropriate combination had snuck by in my own house.

It is the Turing scheme. ( residue Erasmus fun ding available to some this year) What hasn’t been mentioned is the cost to study . My daughter has gone to Rotterdam but needed to prove she had just under 12,000 euros in her account to finance the year. It will differ for each European country. This is decision d as it’s prevents less well off students from studying abroad. They had easier rules if you came from USA NZ Aus Canada. My son went to Grenoble when it was Erasmus , completely different and easier scenario.

We’re having to count my other half’s Schengen days because she’s a Brit. Coming out for a couple of months and want to do Canaries and Berlin after Xmas.

Has anyone found any definitive information on France’s attitude to long term partners of EU citizens, regarding sharing Schengen rights? It’s tough to get any solid answers, but we’ll try when we get to France.

It could have… since EU wide norms cannot now be influenced by the UK as a non member.

BTW have you yet tried the new link sent to you by @billybutcher to reactivate your old account?

Brexit has not had any impact on the availability of electricians though. It was always the case - both pre and post Brexit - that electricians are required, even if correctly registered in UK, to be qualified to work on electrical installations in France. There are many English electricians who have qualified themselves to work in France - and there are some notable ones on SF.

This is the general truth about brexit, isn’t it? Little effect on the rich, massive impact on the poor.

1 Like

Probably best to do a separate post as you will get more, specific answers.

But if you are an EU citizen if you are married why don’t you get a visa for your partner? Much easier. Or if not married get a visitor visa in his/her own right.

Not sure what you mean by sharing Schengen rights? It’s 90/180 days no matter what countries you visit.

1 Like

@billybutcher should this be moved to its own topic under Visa Requirements ?

Yes, everytime I have any dealings with Europe I wonder who has benefited from leaving Europe. Other students on her course from other European countries chose to go to the Netherlands to learn English as coming to UK was expensive and bureaucratic. Leaving Europe was catasphrophic and I cannot believe to this day we can’t undo what some voted to do. It’s my daughters generation that are suffering at the hands of those that voted in ignorance.

1 Like

Sadly, there is no route back… even if the UK rejoins sometime in the future, it will no longer be under the same terms it enjoyed before Brexit.

1 Like

@graham I think rejoining as a “normal” member of the EU instead of having all sorts of custom opt-outs would be good for the UK - part of the problem with the UK’s relations with the EU historically has been successive governments wanting to cherry-pick the bits they liked and approaching EU membership with a “what’s in it for us?” attitude, instead of getting fully involved and working to make it a successful and efficient system for everybody.

British “fair play” and common sense used to be respected in Europe - not so much now of course! - a lot of the effective bits of EU legislation were devised by or with the help of UK representatives.

We squandered so much of our political credit by taking our ball home and refusing to play any more with the other children…

5 Likes

and as for ditching GBP and taking the EUR on board as part of the process of rejoining?

Perhaps - but I think this is one case where the EU would now be very much minded to say “What is in it for us?”

The UK was for ever disagreeing, getting itself special consideration, opt-outs and generally behaving as though it had been forced to become a member against its will - while there are some in the EU who mourn us leaving I understand that the general vibe is that the EU has moved on from Brexit in a way that the UK seems nto to be able to do; it is no longer a priority in Brussels, especially with the situation in Ukraine and some even think that the union is stronger now that the UK is not holding them back.

I honestly don’t see us going back into the EU. I’m not even sure I see us going back into the single market.

3 Likes

and the disrespecting of the NIP

3 Likes

I think that would be entirely beneficial. Retaining the pound exacerbated the idea of “British exceptionalism” and probably made Brexit possible - could we have left the EU and kept the Euro? Not sure.

And apart from anything else it would save millions (possibly billions) of pounds spent on currency exchange, both for consumers and businesses.

3 Likes

Hard to say - certainly polls in the UK now indicate a growing realisation that Brexit was a bad idea - but it will take a good while before it becomes politically possible to seriously float the idea of rejoining.

Perhaps it will be a generational thing - it was older people who voted for Brexit and the young voted overwhelmingly for Remain - so the crusties need to die off first maybe!!

2 Likes

not entirely… My eldest Brother’s downline - children and grandchildren are avid Brexiteers but have of late been somewhat silent on the issue as the effects of so called “project fear” have actually started to take effect.

1 Like

@Bristolpete - would you like me to move your question (and replies so far) to a new topic?

Although I agree it, takes two to tango, as they say - what a lot of the discussion about rejoining misses is that the EU has to want us back and we have not (largely thanks to sending a majority UKIP MEP’s) been a well behaved member.

2 Likes

@Bristolpete I think we debated this, long and hard, some months ago… but can’t find the thread…
The way through the mire (if I recall correctly) was for the non-EU family member to apply for the Visa which relates to the personal situation.

A couple does need to be married or pacs’d (again if I recall correctly)…