How much does your heating really cost you a week

As above, how much do you reckon your heating really cost you a week, since getting our wood cut into 35cm lengths and not having to use a chainsaw to cut everything, I really enjoy having our log burner now.
It heats our whole house with the warm air heating to all the rooms and because my FIL feels the cold being 90, the rooms sit between 18-21C.
Keeping an eye on how much we have used over the last year, I reckon it only costs us roughly around €20 a week to run during the winter depending on the weather, now it is suplimented by some of our stacked wood as it matures and the odd old knackered beams we have when I can be bothered using the chainsaw.
I know it isn’t the most environmentally friendly heating but it is vastly cheaper to run than the gas central heating we have as well and only use as a back up, also due to problems we have drilling holes in our 3-4 feet walls that won’t be getting replaced any time soon.
At night I only have to load it every 4-5 hours using oak and chestnut in chunter mode, using birch and beech during the day and burns so completely I only have to empty the tray once a week and most of the time you cannot see smoke out of the chimney.
So how does your heating compare cost wise.

1 Like

What is chunter mode?

:yum: sorry that’s the Scottish coming out in me, night time damper mode.

Can’t answer the question precisely, but all of our electrics at the moment cost around €30 with 2 air to air heaters going throughout the day, but not at night.

Again, can’t say precisely, but before air to air the whole house was warmed by one central log burner and in winter the electricity plus the logs came to more than that. Used to let it die down at night, our ‘prefab’ house is extremely well insulated unlike our damp and cold brick and block neighbours. :joy:

Because of doing our accounts for the gîte regime réel everything is monitored closely so we can prove which costs should be attributed where. So our fuel and wood for our house comes to €38 a week. Our house is large.

My 1958 ‘pre-fab house’ - “shoddy modern French building” as an SFista called it [perfectly correctly] has walls no thicker than the uPVC window frames that some subsidy scheme must have paid for in recent years. Other than that it is to all intents and purposes a plywood shack.

It has never had a fireplace/chimney. You may recall that when Calder Hall was commissioned in 1956 some UK minister said, “Soon electricity will be too cheap to meter”. The heating of this house was and is based on that fantasy.

I paid good money, part of the updating of the weird and way-off-norms system, for programmable panel heaters.

Now I find that the most effective way to get a room up to something approaching comfortable [being dressed indoors as if for a fresh day outdoors] without having the panel heaters on full time, is a good old fashioned convector heater.

As for costs, my Linky spells it out, from an annual total to 30 minute increments.

I am to my EDF espace client as this unfortunate baboon is to the leopard.

Heating.

For us 6€ per week over the year, using granulés for our poêle. Expressed another way, 17€ a week heating during months when we use it from Nov-March. House is 1850s brick built, 3 bedrooms/126m2, and seemingly well insulated. We use no other heating (poêle kept at 15C) though have electric radiators (not used in years) as back up.

Electricity (Tempo)

In addition we incur 16€ a week for all electricity consumed, that will include the hot water cumulus, EV charging etc.

If I kept the ours at 15C I would have a riot on my hands :yum::laughing:
This winter has been a lot colder than the previous two years which came in at around €15 a week over the winter, the problem with not getting the wood in 1m lengths anymore, is trying to calculate the wood left over now as it is in a pile and not stacked in stere units :yum:

1 Like

Is chunter also a Midlands/Northern term? My wife, who despite being from Luxembourg, was brought up in the Midlands, frequently refers to somebody chuntering ie grumbling/complaining…

1 Like

I’m not sure as I’m not from the Midlands and a wee bit further North than Northern :yum::grin:

Chunter I’ve heard before but not personally used originating elsewhere but mainly brought up in the E. Mids.
However, swap a letter, and chunder has a much less desirable meaning on the Australian continent. :nauseated_face:

I havn’t had to use any heating yet so am saving money whilst the sun continues to shine. I do wonder if being built 1.5m above the ground has something to do with keeping the temperature steady as well.

I have wondered about that as well, though the original foundations for our house are around 20 ft underground as the ground floor of the house now, was really the second floor originally as it got buried sometime in the 29th century, the floor of the house now sits about 2-4 ft above the ground level at the front and between 4-15 ft at the rear, the cave/cellar in the house was originally the ground floor, if that makes any sense.

I can’t really calculate my heating costs, as I have all electric heating - underfloor GHSP which only runs for about 3-4 hours in the mornings to bring the heat up to about 21C and then rev clim heating via ASHP in the early evening if needed. So, I can’t really separate it out from all the other things that draw electricity. However, in the last 7 days, where we’ve had two nights below zero and 3 days where it hasn’t got above about 10C, our total electricity consumption, including 1/52nd of the abonnement, was € 18.91. We have solar on the roof, and without that, it would have been € 31.19.

1 Like

That’s very good @David_Spardo if you have the air-to-air going a lot. Your house must be as well insulated as mine.

Chunter/chuntering is (or was) used in Lancashire when I was younger to mean someone who talked rubbish too much. There’s also chunder, which means something entirely different :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

16 steres of oak sees us through the colder months and provides all the hot water and central heating we need plus the comfort of looking at fire flames engulfing our oak behind glass in our poelle.
Simple calculation of 675 euros for oak over 26 weeks costs 26 euros per week.
I have to cut each piece of oak into 3 as it comes in 1.2 metre lengths but my time costs nothing and my electric log cutter is minimal cost to power up.
Still contemplating a move to air to air system which will be less labour intensive but as yet I have to convince myself that the cost of installation is worth it.

1 Like

It’s a pity your supplier doesn’t cut to a smaller width as mine offers 1.2m, 50cm and 38cm, it has made a big difference to me.

It’s a little hard to track TBH, because oil prices have fluctuated so much over the last couple of years. We’ll typically use around 2400 litres of oil per year - cost between around £750 to £1900 depending plus around £200 per year on wood.

So somewhere between £18 and £41 depending on cost of oil. We don’t use electricity for heating per se, other than any warmth acquired from cooking and appliances operating. This is a stone 3 bed cottage built in the 1700s, partially double-glazed and with around 4" loft insulation.

I actually prefer delivery and storage in 1.2m length as my undercover storage area is purpose built for 1.2m and can hold up to 40 stere if required.
Having a delivery of 3 times the current number of 1.2m logs would be mind blowing!

Neatly packaged and can be stored at my leisure, imagine the pile if cut x3!!