How the "quote" function operates

Make sure no intervening posts

Some discussion here - looks like it can be disabled in site settings

ah yes… thanks. I think I have seen that before but just associated it with the fact it immediately follows the quoted post.
I have got round this in the past (without consciously thinking about it) by commencing my reply then moving the cursor up to the start of my responding post (or the place where I wish to insert the quoted text) and then highlighting the text I want to quote, selecting image at that stage which inserts it in my response without a problem.

That seems to explain why it should be left switched on don’t you think? Basically to avoid duplication

1 Like

Testing on previous post!

Testing on 2 posts ago

At least I get it now so can work around it as required!

direct reply test

If Discourse wanted to do that without annoying everyone then it should have been coded to replace the text with some sort of reference to the previous post, not just remove it entirely.

As it is I don’t always want to include the previous post but if I’m replying specifically to the point raised I think it is clearer to include it.

2 Likes

I agree with @james in that it is intended to avoid unnecessary duplication since the assumption is that the next following post references the one above it (but, of course, that is not always the case) - trust SF users to buck the bleeding system :roll_eyes: :grin:

2 Likes

so that didn’t let you do it even though it was a few posts back. How odd :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

I wasn’t quoting the post there, testing something else

1 Like

These are our options @anon88169868 @graham

1 Like

Untick the middle one, I’d say.

I will trial that if you can help me keep an eye on whether it gets out of hand with lots of dupes ok? Let’s give it a few days, maybe it will be fine

1 Like

Now everyone should be able to quote an entire post in the case of a direct reply. Give it a go here :slight_smile:

OK, will do - yep has had the desired effect.

2 Likes

Ok, back to the workshop. Enjoy your Friday everyone :slight_smile:

The point is - and many seem to miss it - when you directly reply in a thread, there is a grey upwards pointing arrow over on the right gutter which takes you to the quoted post…
What makes life difficult is when someone responds to a post waaay up in the thread without any indication of what it is they are responding to :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Which is not there when the system automatically removes that post.

I know that it is, obviously, sitting immediately above but it can become difficult to follow a thread if you are not quite  sure if a comment is in response to a particular point or a general one.

Also, occasionally posts get edited which can make replies no longer pertinent or clear.

As I said I don’t quite understand why the feature works the way that it does - it would seem sensible, if you want to avoid storing duplicates to simply include a reference and then display the post to the user, *as* *though* the text had been stored.

I’m sure that would have been a better solution.