How warm do you keep your home?

I can’t really comment on that… but they have very different properties…
However, both are old and stone built.

One, I do know, is very well insulated… as I watched that revamp with great interest and amazement. The groundfloor is open plan, with a large central stairway… and I wonder if that has an adverse effect on the efficacity of the underfloor heating (which is only on the ground floor).

Everything is double-glazed etc… but every time the outside door opens, the winter winds/weather enter… and it seems that the floor-heat (warmth actually rather than heat) can’t cope with the challenge/shock…
Throwing another log on… is much more practical at such times…

On the plus side… being Dutch residents, they are often away for long periods and leaving the underfloor heating ON does keep the place dry … much better than that damp chill which used to greet them (before the revamp).

The open plan area shouldn’t make a difference in the underfloor heating pipes were installed to take this into account. The floor slab becomes a thermal mass so opening the door for short periods, going in and out shouldn’t effect the thermal mass to any great degree.
Insulation under the floor slab thickness is very important as is the damp proof membrane under the insulation, damp insulation doesnt work. When I put in my underfloor heating pipes the advice was to put the pipes a bit closer together than for a modern home as it also has stone walls. You mentioned warm which is normally how this works around 30-35c.
A house in london I worked on advertised the kitchen having underfloor heating, however it was a small area of electric matt and the floor never managed more than 18c so draw your own conclusions.

fascinating stuff… and I respect that you do know what you’re talking about.

When next my Dutch friends visit their holiday home… I shall be questioning them thoroughly… :wink:

However, my French friends also have gourndfloor underfloor heating… a huge old barn turned into a huge house… and I know they are disappointed.
I shall ask them all about what they had done… it’ll make for a lively conversation…

Thanks Stella, also for understanding the context of what I wrote. It’s not a criticism its a request for more details. One of my customers has UFH in a converted barn in the Dordogne and I was impressed on how well it makes you feel when your feet are on a warm floor.

1 Like

Ah… but do you try it with bare feet… :wink:
'cos I must confess I’ve not noticed much through my shoes and socks…

I did remove my outdoor shoes as we had been around muddy ground. Just like a wall mounted radiator there should be sufficient heat rising to warm the ankles and calves. Conversely in my BIL’s house where it was tiled but no insulation keeping feet on the floor sucked the heat out of feet, ankles and calves. This could only be prevented by putting feet up on the sofa.

1 Like

Ah… we have different lifestyles… socks and sheepskin lined slippers in winter, snugly at home.

Visiting, it’s socks and shoes or (if I know the place is/will be warm enough ) I have sometimes gone mad and worn tights and highheels…

In my youth, winter meant rubgy. I would cheer for my brother and his fabulous team mates… as they ran around and kept warm and I stood in the snow… freezing, but hopeful that I looked elegant, in my stiletto heels and mini skirt… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I’m at the age now where I like to feel cosy, no matter what… :roll_eyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

It is embarrassing when one leaves the house in them though!

3 Likes

Hmm… I’ve got sheepskin boots too… so perhaps folk might think my slippers were just a lighter alternative to the boots… :rofl: :rofl:

My recommendations:

(a) Heatholders socks & slippers.

They sell men’s, women’s and children’s socks and slippers and also beanie hats, gloves and thermal underwear.

In the UK, Wickes usually have black men’s socks on special offer as many tradesmen use them.

(b) Interlined curtains.

(c) Flannel bedding.

I haven’t worn socks for 22 years, and even before that in England, only between October and May.
The original reason was because I have always had hardened skin on my heels which tended to crack and as a regular task was to retrieve bits of wool from said cracks for fear of them healing over with wool inside, I stopped using them altogether.
Walking boots for walking the dogs (ankle support on uneven ground) and rubber sabots with holes in the uppers for all other uses (a different pair for swimming) apart from ‘posh’, when I have a pair of desert boots from the '70s to cover the bare ankle flesh, are all bought in sizes to allow for direct contact. The latter are used about twice a year on average. :joy:

Can’t see much concern for the planet here! What’s wrong with putting on another (wool) jumper?

1 Like

Bonjour! Logo. Is it a Welsh dragon? Looks like a centipede. Or salamander. If it is - can’t remmber what the Scottish one looks like - Shwmae. I was brought up in Cardiff, moved to Dinas Powys, went to Barry Teacher Training College and taught art in Penarth. My son lives in Aberystwyth. Iechyd da!

Its a nod to my Welsh roots.
I also think that a red dragon is/was a symbol used to represent Charente (but I may wrong).

Just because the majority of participants don’t bang on about “saving the planet” in an attempt to flaunt their eco credentials does not mean that they are indifferent.

I for one have no intention of putting on another jumper – as then I’d be wearing two!

Buy a better One then, hahaha :joy:

Actually 2 lightweight ones are better than one thick - air is trapped between the two layers and keeps you warmer.

4 Likes

… and I wrap a long, cotton scarf, several times around my neck, then tie the ends loosely.
the extra warmth that snug “neck muff” gives is quite amazing.

I have several scarves… something for every occasion… all the colours in all the sizes… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s fantastic not to have to tiptoe in very cold weather :+1:. We have underfloor driven by a GSHP. We never have it on at night, only during the day and particularly when the suns out so our solar panels can run it without buying electricity . If it’s cold in the house when we get up (quite rare) then it’s great that the floor seems no colder than the air.

You’d be surprised how few people understand the concept of layering.

1 Like