How's that going to work then?

I think it’s suppose to make you stop and think each time: Why am I going out? Do I need to?

4 Likes

I’m hoping there’s some common sense here. We live in at the end of a private chemin and walk the dog every day through woods and vines never seeing another soul, whilst I don’t have an issue with having an attestation in my pocket at all times surely I haven’t got to write/print a new one every single day?

1 Like

Tim… I reckon my idea will work… people with dogs etc have got to go out…regularly… just not in packs… :upside_down_face:

Don’t get me wrong here please. I completely accept that it is not all about me.
What I object to is being ordered to self isolate rather than being asked, especially when the overall long term outcome for the social and economic well being of the country is doubtful to say the least.

Self isolating is something I can easily do (and am well practised at) without long term adverse personal consequences.
However, what about all the incidents of domestic violence that will occur due to this policy of people being couped up together. What about all the people who will suffer extreme financial hardship because of this policy ? Businesses will fail, and masses of people are going to be left without income. Homes will be lost, properties repossessed, tenants evicted, and personal bankruptcies will soar. Yes, I know that rents are being suspended, but suspended does not mean cancelled, and they will still need to be paid in the end.

There is a very real risk that the long term effects of the control measures now in place will be far worse than allowing nature to run its course. Perhaps we need to consider the long term needs of the many, rather than the short term needs of the few.

Let’s also keep in mind that every year 10,000 people in France die of Flu, and that worldwide, 4000 people die of Tuberculosis (an entirely preventable affliction) every day, and no-one seems to care too much about that.

I venture to suggest that the UK response is the better one. Inform, advise, recommend, but let people make their choice, and then perhaps there will still be something resembling an economically viable nation state at the end of the day.

A Uk police officer friend of mine says they expect a decrease in assaults , a rise in domestics and a baby boom in nine months

Graham has posted a link : Coronavirus - Download travel attestation

Oh dear, oh dear! It was bad enough before you got to the flu comparisons. At least you have got a couple of weeks to read a bit and educate yourself so it’s not too bad. I repeat my earlier comment about being a police officer. In your case the gamekeeper has made a pretty good poacher.

So, the BBC are reporting that:

Fair enough.

Yup

But…

What a twat - at a stroke undermining the advice to over 70’s to reduce social and work contacts. I am sure he could easily have set himself up to work from home when not actively required in the HoC

Could the adults take over now, please.

3 Likes

Corbyn isnt the only one…

13:11

UK PM’s father ‘would still go to the pub’

Stanley Johnson

PA MediaCopyright: PA Media

The Prime Minister’s father has indicated he would ignore his son’s advice to tackle the spread of coronavirus and still go to the pub.

Boris Johnson yesterday urged everyone to “avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues”, saying it was particularly important for people over 70.

But Stanley Johnson, 79, said: “Of course I’ll go to a pub if I need to go to a pub.” Speaking on ITV’s This Morning, he said landlords “don’t want people to be not in the pub at all”.

It seems stupidity runs in the family…

3 Likes

but is he regarded as a vulnerable person? I somehow doubt so as he seems perfectly fit and healthy and acknowledged to be so.
If he shows no signs of COVID-19 then I am sure he will act responsibly - no worse than no-show blojo going to a football match at the weekend.

1 Like

It’s not about him personally - it’s about image and message.

3 Likes

Exactly,the Queen is cancelling events/ appearances JC should be following advice

Yes, but she is 93 +20 years on Jeremy Corbyn and more into the “at risk” group.
Besides, she does fook all these days anyway so no real loss…

Two points
A) Nowhere does it say that fit and healthy 70 year olds are exempt
B) As a high profile 70 year old he should be leading by example

So what about the U.S presidential candidates. Are they all meant to stay at home? Granted I wish Trump would retire although Pence is just as bad …

I think if the current leader of the opposition was to self isolate even more ridicule would be heaped upon him.

1 Like

Is recommending isolation for the over 70s being recommended in the US ? in which case yes they should. Don’t get me wrong this isn’t a dig at Corbyn as a person,it is just I genuinely feel that high profile people have a duty to the public observing them

The point seems to me that the reason why over 70s are recommended to self isolate for their own protection.
Whereas, other measures such as avoiding large gatherings, good hygiene etc that apply to everyone, are for the public good.
A cottontop deciding not to self isolate is not the same as a cottontop refusing to wash their hands.

Use pencil and rub it out :shushing_face:

I believe Hancock, during his comedy half hour in the Commons last night, did revise the over seventies advice to those with underlying conditions. Bojo’s Dad probably made him :crazy_face:

The half hearted UK response will result in people who need intensive care being denied it in great numbers and needless deaths will result. Time is of the essence. You should consider yourself fortunate to be living in a country where this virus is being managed properly.

4 Likes