If I was thirty years younger

What disappoints me about the new version of the Ami - not just that as someone who can drive I could do with a few more MPH, is that the 2CV was a truly robust vehicle with suspension optimised for rough terrain - whereas this one seems quite fragile - plus the amazing carrying capacity - I transported some astonishing loads in the 2CV - thanks to the open top and the ability to remove the rear bench seat.
Someone I know swears I could actually tow a boat behind a 2CV to and from the launch.
But even with a 600cc 2 cylinder engine the fuel efficiency canā€™t compete with modern cars ā€¦ plus of course the emissions are too high ,

1 Like

The 2CV was a practical car that would still have a place with a modern power unit. The plastic Ami, not so much. Having been to a few Citroen dealers recently, Iā€™m underwhelmed.

1 Like

I remember not racing a super charged 2CV acoss Burgh Heath and Box Hill, until it caught fire.

1 Like

Oh it was YOU I saw! :grin:

1 Like

No, clearly it depends on individual circumstances but the Ami insurance can actually be incredibly cheap, and I imagine that it can be true for the diesel ones too. Thereā€™s a certain amount of thinking from insurance companies that the primary payout would be personal injury, no one ever claims for the car, then because they donā€™t go very fast the personal injury is more likely to be the death of the sans permis driver when a truck squashes them into something flatter than a crepe than them injuring others, although again, that very much depends who you are and why you donā€™t have a licence.

Edit: Iā€™m now realising this is an old thread thatā€™s been resurrected so ignore my wittering :see_no_evil:

1 Like

@kirsteastevenson ā€¦ :wink: :wink:
My comment was in answer to @NotALot reckoning the drivers were ā€œclearly a high-riskā€

which is why I said ā€œnot quite soā€¦ā€ :wink: :wink: 'cos theyā€™re not ā€¦ not all of 'em :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, we are in complete agreement @Stella! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Happy youthful memories, Rykas at Box hill :motorcycle::motorcycle:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a city car and most people live in cities: they also tend to live in small apartments so donā€™t need to put big things in the car -sofas or whatever can be delivered.

By contrast if you live in the country, you need something bigger and faster - our current BM X1 is the smallest car Iā€™ve ever owned (apart from a few small Italian sports cars, but it can do everything bar accommodate 8x4 sheet material. Small(ish) car but with decent seats and you can it drive all day without getting tired -just wish we could afford the e-version.

1 Like

I understand, but a Smart does at least look a little less like it was hit with the ugly stick. It is surprisingly plasticky too. But I was also placing it in the context of the original Ami/2CV6.

The X1 you have is a sensible compromise between size and function. Iā€™m really pleased with the carrying capacity of my karoq - just took a fairly big piece of furniture and some large boxes with kitchen equipment to France along with all the usual tools etc we normally bring. Did better than 45mpg too. SUVs get a lot of stick, but they are very useful, though obviously not as city cars.

Ludicrously expensive, isnā€™t it?

I think mid range practical SUVs donā€™t get too much stick, but owners of large Range Rovers and the unbelievable Rolls Cullinan (a snip at ā‚¬500K) and Bentley Bentayga should be beaten with wet Hydrangeas until they see sense.

I would rather an MPV, I know they dont have the macho look but are often more practical. My old renault scenics where the rear seeats can be configured or removed easily was a great little vehicle, the modern ones less so.

2 Likes

Did you gather in the carpark opposite the Burford Bridge Hotel?

Its a yes from me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

The YouTube channel I referred to earlier deserves many more than 9,000 subscribersā€¦
Very entertaining and very professional ā€¦

1 Like

No, I wasnā€™t really into the ā€œgatheringsā€

1 Like

Loved this. Thank you for posting!

Laughed when the driver said ā€œI donā€™t think you could drive this in a real car.ā€ :joy:

1 Like

The roads are so poor where we live that something with more clearance and longer, softer suspension is needed. They were poor pre-covid, but worse now.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad I havenā€™t got a large (or a small for that matter ) rangie, not sure I could cope with JS spanking me with a wet shrub :rofl::rofl::rofl: