I'm Not Being Racist..... but

Are your neighbours British or French ? Just asking.:wink:

1 Like

A German wine dealer who dropped into my pub from time to time started many a political discussion with : “I’m not saying Hitler was right, but …” None of the regulars were known to have bought any of his wine, oddly.

3 Likes

And humans are not a race but a species of Ape.

4 Likes

OK I’m back in this thread, full of eau de vie and raring for a fisticuffs… :smile:

Sir David Attenborough talks about The Human Race and that is good enough for me… though he also talks about Humans being a plague… :wink:

2 Likes

Years ago I was told that what is said either before or after the word ‘but’ was a lie. It was suggested that where possible, it should be replaced with ‘and’.
Make a note of the next time someone uses ‘but’ and one of the phrases being a lie, it’s surprisingly accurate :grinning:

1 Like

I’m sure a representative for the Apes would deny the connection

3 Likes

I just dislike everybody equally. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

He’s definitely right regarding being a plague. but i’m past racing now.

But I do Mark, and there aren’t. :wink:

1 Like

Since all this Brexit stuff started I became increasingly aware of how much nastier many people were becoming. There are those in the UK who spend all there time slagging off Europe and France even in front of me and completely ignore the fact that I have had a house in France almost 50 years and lived here for more than ten years. I must therefore presumably prefer living in France than where they live but I don’t spend all my time slagging off where they live to them. Then there’s the fact that nine years ago I married an Asian lady who is a different colour from them. I’ve even had comments about bar girls, lady boys etc or worse. I don’t ask them if their wife was a call girl. They go on about immigrants generally and can’t understand my drift when I say both my wife and I are immigrants; I also refrain fro telling them my great grand father was an immigrant into the UK over 170 years ago. I don’t enquire after their ethnicity. Of course my wife and I have a daughter, but thus far no body has said to me I have a half caste daughter (maybe they would if we visited the UK but I tend not to want to). Seeing those victims of the tower inferno in Kensington one was struck by the fact that almost none of them were locally born and bred, yet here they were fitted up in something none of the locals would ever want to live in. There’s something very nasty in the UK wood shed.

6 Likes

I was born in Birmingham but please, please don’t make me go back. I left a week after I was born in 1945.

1 Like

I was born in Tamworth not far from Birmingham, I was over there last week meeting up with old friends and I must say that they are far better people than you make them out to be, If you had stayed a bit longer then you would probably have a different opinion.
How can you make such an opinion after one week !!!

2 Likes

I obviously couldn’t! At one week old not many people make decisions about a place. Actually lived at Bromsgrove but even left there in 53. Have moved about 20 times in my life!

David - frankly I often find discussions amongst UK immigrants akin to being in an endless episode of ‘Love Thy Neighbour’ !! I honestly don’t think the mentality towards anything ‘foreign’ has moved ​on much during my 54 years - where it appears to have, it often turns out to be completely superficial, pc and a half hearted attempt at suppressing genetic xenophobia and nationalism! Maybe it’s an age thing - I’m younger than most of them lol!

My sister-in-law is of French Algerian origin, born in France and with two beautiful mixed race adolescents who I’m honoured to have as neice and nephew. Wonderful, intelligent, kind and caring human beings who have frankly been treated like scum by pitiful, ignorant and scared white Caucasians from both the UK and France. Sadly I have many heart breaking stories I could recount.

None of the scum I’ve mentioned can ever provide reasons for their shameful behaviour and views - just the endless vomitting of ‘headlines’ - almost as if by repeating utter garbage it will somehow become true…

As you say - a very nasty wood shed :frowning:

4 Likes

Bromsgrove, the green and pleasant fields on the edge of the black country, you are a lucky man or child to have lived there.
You have moved 20 times David! how cruel is that?

We are very lucky to live on the Isle of Man, where we have many immigrants (me included - from Blackpool). In a population of 84,000 the population is very diverse, from Phillipinos, South Africans, Italians (many now 2nd and 3rd generations and household names here), considerable numbers of French, Greeks, Polish, Germans, Americans, Indians, Pakistanis, Africans, Irish, Scots and numerous English like me, etc etc. Aoplogies for those groups I’ve left out. (I even met a Vietnamese boat refugee last year who came round to buy a table I was selling).

In fact, we are all immigrants here, or “come overs” as is said. Even King Orry, (Godred Croven) the Viking was a come over!!!

Bit of a real melting pot, and yet we are all Manx in our attitudes!!

2 Likes

The very opposite of racist…

I’ve just remembered a time when my daughter made me particularly proud. She had asked that a new school friend be allowed to stay-overnight…and I had said yes, but we must talk with the parents first…

Anyway, I arrived at school and my excited daughter grabbed my arm and started dragging me across the playground. Where is Maria… I asked… over there in that group, she is the one in the red blouse.

I looked over and saw a lovely 10 year old girl, wearing a bright red blouse. (the fact that Maria was the only child in the playground, whose skin was as black as Newgate’s knocker, was entirely lost on my daughter…and it made no difference to me, but I did smile inwardly…) … Maria’s parents arrived and two very happy youngsters started planning their night-time frolics.

8 Likes

Not only children. In my university days I shared a house with several other students, including Andrea of West Indian descent. After living together for over a year Andrea’s parents came to visit for an afternoon, had an enjoyable time and returned to London in the evening. Almost as soon as they had gone another of the girls, Fiona, turned to her long time friend and exclaimed, ‘Andrea, your parents are black!’ Obviously a little thing like the colour of Andrea’s skin hadn’t been of any importance, friends are friends.

4 Likes

Every time i moved it got better and usually I made money too! I have lived in France over ten years now.

1 Like

I try to remain patient and tolerant even of the worst xenophobes, but it’s becoming more difficult. Should one remonstrate with them, argue with them, or just pity them?

2 Likes