Immobilier!

yes we’re off subject but it’s interesting for those involved. I obviously work for more when I can, recently at 12 cts but that’s rare for the reasons you’ve given. also so much depends on the language pair: french -> english and italian -> english are very common with too many translators trying to live off too little work… hence 7cts a word. I also know of plenty who can’t get enough work at that rate - just look up the forums on proz!

It’s the same for teaching English… perhaps this one will stir some reaction too! I’ve taught at the CCI and IUT and teach English and French for 40 euros an hour. people seem amazed when I say no to private lessons for 15 euros an hour (or less in some cases!) yet I know other teachers who are more than happy to do it for that!

Bon dimanche et à plus

Up the workers!

Catharine I agree entirely but I can often earn more at the end of each month at 7 cts via agencies than 10 cts direct. The client pays more going to an agency but they (the good ones) get it translated by one freelancer and proofread by another - that’s why it costs more plus they take their cut. As I said I turn down work when it’s too cheap :wink:

True. A good notary will in the end change the contract so the ‘bill’ that would normally be paid by the seller is transferred to the buyer. This means you do not have to pay legal fees over this part of the total costs.

The whole thing is moot anyhow, since the bottom line is that the 6% is paid by both the buyer and the seller. It comes out of the negociation margin.

On Immogo (strictly ‘entre parrticuliers’), I used to tell sellers to put the net price, to augment the chances of selling without an agent. But many were pressured by the agent to put the same price. In that case, if they sold without, the 6% would be extra room for dropping the price (everybody wants to haggle) so they might get lucky and sell for the net price they wanted in the fiste place.

Just send a mail to Immogo. I’m certain they will be glad to add you to their pool. And you are paid by paypal within a day (or two) after mailing your invoice. Hassle free, indeed.

The more ‘we’ do stuff on the cheap, the lower the rates go. End of. Don’t get me started…!
Why not be happier at 10?
We need to stand together and stop working for peanuts - I have as a point of principle.

Me 2.

I checked number 195, and this is one of the older houses, from the time Immogo was still my own site. The original French text is written by the French owner and I guess I didn’t feel like correcting it at the time. The translation in English is mine, i’m afraid ;-). In the beginning I did all the English, French and Dutch decriptions myself. The Dutch ones are quite good (my day job is freelance copywriter), but I’m not perfect in Fench and English.

The site has been sold to an invester and you’ll find some more recent houses (higher numbers, especially above 650) will have better translations. Done by native speakers. This still does not garantee a zero mistake translation (not for 7 cents, done to fill some spare time and without proof reading), but it is a lot better than the Google Tansalate rubbish I often see on the sites of the ‘professionals’. And certainly good enough to give the reader a good impression of the property on offer.

Sorry Finn… “from personal experience” over the last 5 years I’ve worked for a number of agencies across Europe and beyond, other agency translation work via proz, translator’s café and others. it seems that the serious agencies seem to have set the rates of what they pay freelancers at 7 cts. there are plenty of others who choose to use translators from wherever they can get them in the world and at times the rates are very low. i haven’t ever heard of 2 cts but as coincidence has it I was offered a very large on going contract with a french agency last week… all sounded very good and the sort of work I do… then we got to the price; 3 cts !!! turned down and they appologised but said that’s all they can afford! and that they have a number of translators already working for that!!!

Yes agencies take a faire cut of the final price but, like estate agents, they do take a lot of hassle out of things for a freelancer and I’m as happy doing regular agency work at 7 cts with no marketing and client hassles etc as I am spending time marketing etc. Plus I’m in the Aveyron where businesses aren’t too flush and everyone’s looking to do things on the cheap!

I’d be interested to hear from other translators on the subject, there must be a few out there on SFN?

Gregor

Confused.com !!! I am sure you must be right just did not quite understand !

Gregor, I’m pretty sure that when we bought we signed a thing that transferred the legal contract to pay for the sale from the seller to us, so that we as buyers could pay the agency, and so that we as buyers could pay slightly less in total because we avoided tax of some sort on the agency fee.

In the end it comes to much the same thing.

You are right, Charlotte, there are some outstanding agents in the market. I have dealt with Kevin Passmore from Sud Bourgogne Immobiliers. Very decent chap. And I hear good things about Burgundy4U.

It is just that many agents use ‘agents commercial’ who have just been let off as shoe salemen and now get into the housing trade. They don’t know the first thing about the law or construction, and are only in it to make money fast. This is very detrimental for the reputation of the AI.

sigh did you read my post just above? There is no ‘general rule’ that the buyer pays the agency, because it is the SELLER that has to pay the agency. The buyer pays the seller, the seller pays the agency.

For the rest you are absolutely right. If you have to deal with an AI, go directly to the boss man and never use a Britisch or Dutch intermediary. They are just extra middle men that have to be paid. As is clear from the agents in this thread complaining about all the commission they have to spread around.

The cheapest way of course is to use no intermediary at all and sell directly to a private buyer. 50% of the transactions in France are done without an agent. This will only get more, unless the agents find a way to turn the tide.

It is a general rule that the buyer pays the agency fee - but many years ago the fees were sometimes split between buyer and seller. The best agency to buy from is undoubtedly a “French” agency and not a “British” internet agency. They demand incredible fees just for an introduction, as much as 60% of the agency fee simply advertising the properties and turning up at the property exhibitions.

Look at the bottom of the website and if it shows the following

Siret : 380860-------

Ville RCS. : Dinan

N° Carte Professionnelle : 17–

then you can be pretty sure they are French estate Agents registered in France. If you go to a site and they do not have the C.P. number they are probably a “commercial agent” and do not have a C.P. You will have very little room for negotiation with either of the above because they already claim a large chunk of the agency fees.

The Commercial Agent cannot legally advertise properties for sale or show a C.P. number on the website - only the registered agency with the C.P.

Gregor _ I didn’t mean to imply they were but if anyone is expecting a translation for 2cts - pluueaashe!

I’m a bit sensitive having seen my income as a freelance writer and James’ income as a photographer dwindle to almost nothing in the last couple of years - mainly because highly profitable companies are now using free content - and yes, it is the reader who suffers too. Grrr. Rant over. I’m off for my long awaited glass of vino collapso. xx

Hi Gregor

I’d be interested in that - freelance translator and ex-estate agent.

as for rates: 7cts is the average agency rate paid to freelancers across Europe despite what’s been said here. Obviously translating something direct with the client is another thing 10 to 13 cts a word depending on the technicity and length.

I’m wondering wether you perhaps mistake Immogo with another big player on the nternational real estate market. I’m very curious to find out who that might be.

I think the Immogo translators are far from amateur, even if they do agree to work for 7 cts a word. The texts are not very difficult. If you’ve done 10, you’ve got the vocabulary down pat. From then the hourly price is dependant on how fast you can type.

As subscriber to proz.com (as a client) I get quite a lot of translators offering to work for 7 cts a word. The Immogo system is very relaxed (no pressure, you just take the job if you have the time and let it pass to a colleague if you don’t) so I guess many translators use it a an ‘filler’ for ‘heures creuses’.

And me and I will personally tell them in words of one syllable why they should not be working for such ridiculous rates. I agree with Finn’s comments re pricing and personally wouldn’t touch a job paying 7cts a word - the only possible exception might be if it was for a friend or if there was shed loads of regular work, it was all the same and was a tidying up job rather than a straight translation - you get my drift.

There is going to be a backlash against free (amateur) content, amateur photography and dodgy translations in the next few years in my humble opinion. Or at least I hope so…

Anyway, if you know any good translators working for 2 cts a word, please ask them to contact me.