Immobilier!

OK leave it with me - I’m thinking an all new, all singing and dancing writers / bloggers / translators group might be the way to go? As we all seem to be multi-tasking these days…!

Thank you Finn - I just sent her an e-mail.

Good idea. I do English-Dutch translations, but I charge by the hour rather than per word. I’m actually a Dutch copywriter, so I do mainly advertising tranlations. It often boils down to rewriting (especially from French) beause the Dutch tone of voice is quite different. Most advertising texts professionally translated from French look very stilted in Dutch. For instance, The French IKEA says ‘vous’ to their clients, while in Sweden, Germany and Holland it is all ‘tu’ (well, not ‘tu’ but the equivalent in Swedisch, Germand and Dutch).

Hi Holly - if you don’t get a reply - try Wendy Wise - I think she has previously used one who she recommended. Cx

I do now having just walked back in and got up to speed! Thanks for the message to James - we appreciate it and are now dealing with the situation.
Cx

Hope my request didn’t get lost in a thread - looking for a traducteur assermente (English to French) in the Aix en Provence region. Anyone out there??

Anyone know a “Traducteur Assermente” (English to French) in the Aix-en-Provence area??? Need my bank statements (WTF - they can’t read numbers???) translated for my visa. 6th year of providing this info to the Profecuture, and now they are asking them to be translated…

Wimp!

I think we should open a translation discussion - it could be a useful thread for all of those who are translating / dabbling - we could swap info on agencies and rates (I had never heard of Immogo for example) and maybe even pass work on if we are too busy? What do you think?

Well, you are clearly here just to spread misinformation and be abusive. Judging by your reactions on this forum, you have no intention of behaving like a normal social human being.

When we bought our house here in the Clunysois, I used a chap that used to live near me in Gloucestershire, he worked through Burgundy4U. I was in the offices of Sud Bourgogne Immobilier with Steve waiting for the keys to some of the properties we were going to see.
A man sat at the opposite side of the desk from me and totally ignored me. When Steve said who I was and that I was going to see six of his properties, he said hello and shook my hand. I was not impressed to say the least, this was Kevin Passmore. I did not buy through him!

Allez!

Happier at 10? You must mean at number 10.

Most Brits I know get 20 centimes minimum a word but it’s the nut cases that accept 7 to 10 that bring the rates down for the rest of us who can no longer afford to live while end clients build their third swimming pool!
Why are you guys so scared and naive?

WTF !

@Anna Maria: I’m actually rather hoping for an apology for your scandalous accusations about Immogo. It won’t do to throw big words like ‘swindler’ about and then pretend nothing happened. Please let me know where you got your information.

OT but what a swindle:

French Tax Returns
French Tax Returns completed from just € 99
frenchtaxreturns.co.uk

I do my tax return in 5 minutes and then take two months to try remember to post it or do something online. No way do I pay over 99 quid! Blimey!

Miv

It is quite simple really and not complicated - you have to make yourself known to the Tax authorities by visiting or writing to them to say you are living in France. From that point you will be sent a tax declaration and you will not have to pay CGT on the sale of your house.

If you do not at the point of sale the notaire will not hand over the proceeds until you can prove you have declared. Also if your house is over a certain value and you cannot prove residency - I believe around 150k then you will have to pay to have the CGT calculated by an independent body who charge around 1000 Euros.

The op is talking about that!

Many thanks Gregor

After reading the very interesting posts on translation and working freelance for translation agencies, I am now wondering why, for the past ten + years, I have been happily translating for my clients completely free of charge. I actually do know, it is part of being one of those agents commerciaux en immobilier so disliked by the majority of people (or so it seems) in these internet forums. At 7-10 cents a word, I would have earned more than working in the property market, much less hassle, no expense other than my expertise in another language and my time.

For some reason in France it seems no one, especially foreigners want to pay for any professional service be it accountancy, legal, estate agency fees or whatever, yet back home, they are happy to pay even larger amounts(not including estate agency)for similar services. It is so easy to obtain all the information and advice on any subject nowadays by a few mouse clicks, everyone is now an “expert”, there will soon be no need for years of study at university, post grad and doctorate degrees, we can all be DIY lawyers.