Import Car Tax and Registration Taxes

I have just had 4 of these delivered to go on the numberplates for our motorhome and car…

The vehicles might still be on UK plates, but our heart and home is in the Tarn… Our UK address is just a convenience…

1 Like

How do you start toapply for this i’m lost in the maze of threads. Many thanks.

Hi Sarah… you’re after a Quitus Fiscal

check out these recent threads…

1 Like

My understanding is that a UK MoT under 6 months old means a CT test for re-reg is not required. Is this true?

If it is, then RHD rear light format would not be an issue, likewise dipped beam headlamps.

At what point did you have to have that done? Was your UK MoT 6 months+ old? Bearing in mind the -6 month ‘rule’

Even though my UK MOT was only 3 months old, I had a CT carried out immediately prior to submitted the import paperwork.

Before we moved to France, I had the second rear fog light enabled (so I now have two), and the headlight orientation changed (for my MB it was just a switch / lever).

My feeling exactly. I’ve been reading this up on SF till my head hurt.

That statement by SMW kicked my wilting neurons into gear, for which I am most grateful.

It was the perfect opportunity to put the new laser multi-function, arrived yesterday for just this sort of thing, thru’ a real-life job. I printed, I scanned, I copied - all wirelessly.

It’s a brilliant piece of kit. I’ve had the inkjet versions before but I chose to pay the 50€ extra to avoid being ripped off on a regular basis for new i/j cartridges.

I found the on-line form very straightforward - but have I missed something?

What tricky bits? See - I’m starting to worry again.

I ran off a draft, emailed it to my pal French Franck, who gave it the :+1:. He’s in banking, not vehicle excise but I believe him.

Now to see if the local office in St Lo thinks the same.

Mark, I just noticed your mention of CoC # in section K on the V5. Mine does. As my V5 also has the entries in D.2. [which you saw in an earlier exchange] does this mean a CoC is not required?

If the numbers that DVLA entered are complete & correct then yes, but the only way to be sure is to submit your application without & see if later you get asked for one.

Thanks for that.

I’m still not clear about the exemption from a CT if one has an MoT < 6months. I have one which is good until Feb 26th, in that respect, if that is the case. Is the MoT submitted in lieu of a CT?

Translated from service-public - “Proof of the technical inspection, if the vehicle is more than 4 years old and is not exempt from it. The inspection must be less than 6 months old (when a counter-visit has been prescribed, the time allowed for it must not be exceeded) and must have been carried out in France or in the European Union if the vehicle was registered there. The technical inspection must be less than 6 months old on the day of the application for a vehicle registration document: if the time limit is exceeded, a new inspection must be carried out at your expense.”
Note that this applies only for the paper exercise of registration. Once the car is french, the code de la route requires the vehicle to have a french CT.

French CT is not expensive… and worth getting done (in my view) so that one can be confident of the vehicle meeting all the French requirements.

So comforting when one knows there is nothing for the gendarmes to pick up on… when they take a glance… :wink: :thinking:

Thanks Mark. That’s the bit I was not clear about. I am now.

How long after registration before CT necessary?

I agree. One of the few phases or sayings that the great Bob Dylan has come up with that reverberates with me is “To live outside the law you must be honest.” I understand perfectly what he means by this apparent contradiction.

The reason I’ve asked Mark the supplementary Q “how long after reg must a CT be done?” is that my budget has take a couple of mighty, unscheduled, unforeseen hits in the past 30 days.

My decision to buy a car rather than use my camper van as wheels here was strategically sound.

Talk about last minute … I put ‘car/nearest to me’ into eBay and bought this. Not the first time I have done this: previously with great success.

24 hrs later I was heading for Portsmouth and the ferry. On comes the engine warning light. Two days later 833€ for a new soot filter.

Meanwhile, the very same day, back in Blighty, the van is in for MoT. Without warnings from previous MoT advisories - new steering rack and rear brake parts - £803. To be fair, in 370k kms it’s cost me nothing in major work. They say timing is everything in comedy. :roll_eyes:

Car supplied with smart alloys but no anti-vol key to get the anti-vol nuts off. Smart bodge by Lemmonier Peugeot to remove them, replace anti-vol with standard nuts - 85€

Bonnet release handle - pathetic piece of wimp plastic - comes away in my hand - 55€.

Engine warning light back on! Tablets from the Peugeot tech mountain top - new turbo 1200€! They would say that, wouldn’t they? But I have a cunning plan to make this problem go away for 100€. It should work but it might not.

So, budget has a big hole where dosh for standard parts for registration to FR plates should be - rear light clusters, work to rewire same, headlamps - they say RHD Xenon is OK on dipped beam but then, maybe not.

So if I can get a breather before the CT … I need it.

Ouch!

Is the incipient turbo dodgyness a result of the clogged DPF filter? The two often go hand in hand.

brilliant thank you!

registering for a tax number was super speedy and I’ve emailed the girl who I’d rung to sort that out for me, she literally did it whilst i spoke to her on the phone!

so i hope that will go as smoothly,

many thanks for putting me into the correct htread.

all forums seem swamped.

still struggling to type now i have a crooked hand, i need a split keyboard and keep hitting the wrong keys…

but finallt im getting htere.

i have the campervan to be… 9 seater, take the seats out, so car, not van, then i can pop a bed in as needed and remove when put seats back in.

im nearly ready to put in my application for carte de sejkour,

seem to get going once ive started then miss a nights sleep.

controle technique tomorrw, but i will fail because ford bust a bulb on friday and ive only just noticed. it was fine before they messed with it!

cheers!

thanks for help again

sarah

To live outside the law you must be honest .”

My personal motto is “never do two illegal things at once”. For example, speeding with a dodgy headlamp. Illegal parking AND tax out of date. You might wangle your way out of a single infringement but two means you’re taking the mickey.

3 Likes

DPF renewed, Paul. Thus the 833€. The guys in Lemmonier Peugeot, Torigny, having run out of ideas, wired all the downloaded data to Peugeot tech HQ. It must have been 11:59 because back came the answer I was expecting - new turbo. Why would they suggest anything else?

However, I have seen an excellent vid on YT of a guy - a pro - cleaning out the most horrendous amount of black gunk from a turbo - it was absolutely packed ridgid - leaving it clean metal and the adjustable vanes moving freely again - previously stuck fast. He did it with the turbo on the bench, for the puposes of the vid but it is usually done with the turbo still in situ.

I believe mine shows the symptoms of over-boost, which the garage agreed with in an earlier inspection.

The history of my car, in the past 3 years, is as if someone wanted to create a demonstrator of what happens when you run a car cold for short trips repeatedly - 4998/2013/2596 miles 2018/-19/-20.

So I reckon my turbo is packed solid with soot and carbon. There are a number of carbon cleaners on the market - people have had excellent results with domestic foaming oven cleaner. They must all be based on the same brew. The one in the vid is a 3 part kit. Cleaner, which reduced all the soot and carbon to a black sludge, rinser, which left all nice and shiny and a post-op preventative/lubricant.

The procedure can be carried out without removing the turbo from the car. You detach a hose, fill the turbo with carbon-eater, blank off the hole with a piece of something to keep the cleaner inside, go off for an hour, clean up and refit hose.

Happy motoring from then on, in theory. The kit costs +/- 65€. I’d have to pay to have it done - 55€. A reasonable punt if it saves 1100€.

One of the reasons that the police - certainly in urban UK - are so keen to pull cars with minor faults like a brake bulb gone is that they often find very interesting things in the boot.

2 Likes

Yes, I saw that you’d had it replaced but I wondered - and I your suspicions are clearly the same, whether the damage to the turbo are as a result of the problems (short trips, as you say) which lead to the old DPF clogging.

Good luck with the de-coke kit, I’ll be interested to know how you get on as a blocked DPF is said to often damage the turbo rather than just soot it up. Having had two cars with turbos which needed replacement I know it is not a cheap job - as it happens neither were due to DPF issues - but I don’t blame you for looking for a cheaper option.

To corroborate the comment about speedy QF turn-round, I submitted my form to the St. Lo office [Manche] at 12.06 yesterday [30 Nov] and at 08:15 this morning an email came to me thanking me for submitting my docs but could I please send the one [v5 p2] which shows the V.I.N. I’d sent the front page by mistake.

I sent the missing doc at 09:45 and at 10:30 my QF arrived. Impressive.

If the ANTS encounter is as straightforward I’ll be similarly chuffed.

1 Like