In The Local today - it WILL become compulsory to hold a Carte de Séjour after Brexit

“My ex has fingers burned by using the car as a form of id. Cart Grils.”

What do you mean? Surely nobody tries to use it as ID? The Carte Grise isn’t and never has been proof of identity. It is in no way a valid ID.

3 Likes

complètement à l’ouest !!! :open_mouth:

Is this a picture of your ex getting fingers burned by using the car as a form of id? :rofl:
https://www.sudouest.fr/2018/12/01/gilets-jaunes-a-paris-au-milieu-des-scenes-de-guerilla-urbaine-ca-sent-la-revolution-5617236-10530.php

4 Likes

I don’t like to be the one to point it out Chris, but it’s not really about what you’re happy to do or not do. It’s more about what the laws of the country require, ‘for the greater good’. We’d all be happy if we could decide which rules we would observe and which we will ignore, but that wouldn’t be good for the country, it wouldn’t be good for communities and it’s not how it works. So you make your choice, if you want the benefits of living in France you accept the obligations, and if you can’t accept the obligations you don’t try to get the benefits through a back door. It’s like your own mini Brexit decision isn’t it - cake, eat it, no cake; cherries, not for picking.

6 Likes

Hello Chris, I have sent you a pm…regards from Ann :slight_smile:

I wish I could!
My Prefecture accepts online applications in theory but in practice, it’s a totally different story.
I’ve notified the embassy and written to the president du conseil regional, who has written to the prefecture asking for it to be made possible. No response.

Over 2 months ago l emailed the Prefecture in Bordeaux asking for an appointment to renew my outdated Carte de Sejour - They acknowledged it saying someone would be in touch. So far nothing and a phone call got me a stonewall response stating l now need to write asking for an appointment and they couldn’t tell me which documents, number of photos will be required and that information will be furnished at the appointment - Only in France!!!

So l am resigned to doing the sensible thing and wait until after the March deadline and then follow any instructions the French governement give me.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree that it is going to be futile to enquire of, pester, demand or plead with officials at any level of administrative influence on the question of residency entitlement, and I have done nothing since applying last April.

No definitive decision is likely or even conceivable until our departure from the European Union, if or when that happens. I imagine that those French people whose lives may be touched by Brexit are as much in the dark as the rest of us, which is possibly everyone, and that most just want the whole sordid and time-wasting mess to go away.

I got my CdS in Bordeaux the other day. Get yours now.

We are waiting to hear from Macon that we can go in to collect our cards.
Not what we wanted to, but because of the mess in UK a precaution.

Paul, you seem not to know, or to overlook or disregard the fact that different départements and their préfectures have different procedures and policies re the issue of the CdS, and are immovable.

And that our neurotic pushing against the policy by pestering or pleading only result in push-back and resentment on both parties, and will harden not soften administrative attitudes.

So although you can enjoy your security of having got your entitling card, you are not being helpful by urging others to get theirs, when they’re not there for the taking.

Not only does it seem like you’re gloating, but it’s wholly unnecessary to tell people to get theirs. Any foreign resident in France not aware of the Brexit issue is so out of touch as to be unreachable by your message.

So I do hope people will stop stirring this issue up from now until we hear definitively from the French authorities about where we stand, perhaps after March 29 next year.

3 Likes

Why? No one knows what will be needed by the French authorities after Brexit so it’s useless to urge people to ‘get theirs now’ !

1 Like

A more useful reply would have been to explain exactly how you managed to get your appointment. That might have been of some practical use to Dan Wood.

The British embassy and the French ministry of the interior are strongly advising you to get your CdS.

That is brilliant news…

However, does the British Embassy and/or the French Ministry of the Interior have any advice on how this can be achieved ???.. with so many Prefectures blocking/refusing…(generally being impossible)… :zipper_mouth_face:

No wonder most are waiting for the dust to settle and see what Macron proposes…

I’m presuming that one of the first things he will propose… will be a method by which all those who need to… can actually get an appointment etc etc etc…:relaxed::slightly_smiling_face::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

We have found these people very helpful Stella: https://www.remaininfrance.org/

Persistence.

Did you read his post?

Yes, Paul, persistence may get you a seeming short-term advantage now. But your persistence now could conceivably act to disadvantage you after Brexit, when your EU card may have to be surrendered as invalid.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibilty that those who insisted on getting their entitlement now will find they’ve been allocated a place at the back of the queue next time they apply. Some bureacratic minds work like that, all over the bureaucratic world.

It is in the UK Government’s political interest to urge its citizens to ‘persist’, as part of the obvious tactic to blame the EU for obstructiveness, and France in general as untrustworthy partners. I’m not going to fall for it, Paul. A patsy is a patsy in any language, not that I’m suggesting you’re a dupe, perish the thought! :scream::rofl:

If there is no deal and you have no status, what will you do Peter?