In The Local today - it WILL become compulsory to hold a Carte de Séjour after Brexit

No one wants to listen. Everyone is panicking instead of thinking sensibly.

The current CdS is for EU citizens ONLY. It will become invalid on 30 March when (if!!) the UK leaves the EU. A new one will have to be applied for and, knowing France, there is no way it will be as simple as swapping one for another. There will be hoops to jump through.

Anyone applying now won’t get a rdv before 29 March anyway.

It’s also beyond me why anyone who has lived in France more than 10 years is applying before Brexit. Shall I post that link to the law again??!! Oh, go on then!

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006070158&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006335180&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid

Mandy, what you have just posted says UK govt states “to apply for a carte de séjour.”

No it doesn’t. Read it again.

" You will have until at least June 2021 to submit any necessary registration documentation. In the meantime, we would encourage eligible UK nationals to prepare your papers to demonstrate your continued residency in France and to apply for a carte de séjour."

"Although the absence of any registration requirement means that most of us have avoided the bureaucracy involved in applying for a Carte de Séjour, there is a downside: it means that it isn’t always evident (a) how long we’ve been legally resident and (b) whether we have been properly exercising our free movement / treaty rights and are therefore ‘legally resident’. At the end of the transition period, from 1 January 2021, all British citizens living in the EU will need to justify their membership of the ‘protected group’ - those whose rights will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement. Those of us living in France who don’t already hold a Carte de Séjour at that point could find ourselves at a disadvantage.

Going through the (relatively simple) procedure now of applying for a Carte de Séjour as an EU citizen will make sure that both of these things are done formally, in good time, and before it becomes necessary , so that after Brexit you can easily demonstrate that you are legally resident and hence can show that you are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement.

The draft Withdrawal Agreement provides in Article 17 that those already holding permanent residence cards (see below) will be able to exchange them for cards which verify our post-Brexit rights, thus avoiding potentially complicated and stressful administrative procedures."

https://www.remaininfrance.org/carte-de-sejour.html

Do you ever get that feeling that you are banging your head against a brick wall ? :roll_eyes::dizzy_face::astonished:

1 Like

You can read this two ways

Either
a) prepare your papers now to demonstrate continued residency when you apply for a CdS later or
b) prepare your papers and apply for a CdS now.

the intended meaning is almost certainly the former

As has been pointed out the current CdS would be for an EU national and that will be inappropriate when we leave - but no-one is quite sure how the French authorities plan on handling the situation.

2 Likes

Yep! Bored now. Not responding anymore.

2 Likes

The UK govt’s position is very clear and to repeat, it is to apply now. This was emphasised by the ambassador when he spoke in Bordeaux. If anyone wishes for advice or information feel free to message me.

People will register or not, as they wish. But it’s important to know what advice and information is out there.

Earlier you posted the following.

Note the last phrase - “before it becomes necessary”, implying that it is not yet necessary.

It doesn’t affect me - I don’t live in France.

That said I can see the logic in being prepared and there is no more cast iron way of ensuring that your documentation is up to scratch than applying for a CdS.

But, given the closeness of Brexit and the continued lack of clarity over what will happen - no deal, May’s Deal, some other deal or no Brexit it also seems reasonable to wait, especially if you live in a département where the local préfecture has decided it doesn’t have much interest in processing applications at the moment.

1 Like

It could be worse you could be trying to buy a farm in France in the middle of all this Brexit chaos and not having a clue which rules and restrictions are going to apply! :roll_eyes::joy: must be mad but hey ho life’s fun sometimes!

2 Likes

That wouldn’t be anyone that you know, would it Brian? :wink: :slight_smile: :smile:

But that would be absolute madness and outright stupidity! (oh I forgot we have an appointment at the Notaire’s next Monday to sign on the dotted line!)

… Ah well sod it!

1 Like

Please continue with all purchases of French property… without letting anything/anyone deter you, dampen your enthusiasm… or in anyway put the wind up you…

Life will go on… regardless… so take the plunge… the water may be chilly at first, but you will soon get used to it… :hugs::sunglasses::grinning:

the ability speak French (no matter how badly) will bring a smile to the faces of those you meet … so get to work… :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe!

Yep we complete on the 22nd January. In for a penny in for a pound we wisely though moved all our funds to our French account before the vote in the commons takes place. As whilst the exchange rate is not perfect it may get a whole lot worse then!

2 Likes

What that actually says is get your paperwork in order.

1 Like

Nothing is deterring us Stella don’t worry. As for the French David and I have been doing daily lessons on duolingo since the first day we went over to France neither of us have missed a day so far. As we are working on a four year plan before a permanent move we hope to be pretty fluent by then. I have also bought a dual language book of building and renovation terminology to. So trying to do all the right things!

2 Likes

Give it 2 years and you won’t be able to stay away!

1 Like