In The Local today - it WILL become compulsory to hold a Carte de Séjour after Brexit

Well yes you can look at it that way, but being a sucker for sob stories with happy endings, I would prefer for them to get their act together before it’s too late.
“Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping?” as the bard sayeth.

The document says that UK nationals will have to apply for the new CDS "title provided for in the withdrawal agreement. They will be able to make the request at least until July 2021, according to modalities and a calendar which will be specified later. " So the current CDS that everyone is rushing to get will not be valid anyway & will have to be exchanged for a new type, the format & date of inception of which has not yet been determined.
My point being that the rush to get a CDS today is really a waste of time.

1 Like

Not a complete waste of time, because that same document also says

Les titres de séjour obtenus avant mars 2019 seront-ils toujours valables après l’échéance de mars ?

En cas d’accord de retrait entrant en vigueur
Les titres UE obtenus avant mars 2019 (dont la possession n’est pas obligatoire) continueront à être valables durant la période de transition qui court jusqu’au 31 décembre 2020. Ils devront être remplacés en revanche au-delà de cette période par le nouveau titre prévu par l’accord. Les demandes de titre pourront être déposées selon un calendrier qui sera précisé ultérieurement et en tout état de cause au moins jusqu’en juillet 2021

En cas d’absence d’accord de retrait
Les titres de séjour obtenus avant le 30 mars 2019 devront être échangés selon un calendrier qui sera précisé ultérieurement.

so presumably, exchanging one piece of paper for another will be simpler than submitting a new application.
I also feel there may be an advantage in having a CDS before 29 March in the event of no deal if you might need to travel outside of France in the period immediately after 29 March, otherwise with no titre de séjour and only a British passport you may need to apply for a visitor visa to get back in.

1 Like

If you live in France you are “domiciled”. As such Most people know where they live.
Really, David, surely you know where you live?
Living in France requires one to make an annual income tax return to the french government so one will then be on their database. To register a car you must submit proof of domicile (not proof of address).

That does not answer my question and is very different to your original post. You are now saying what people have always known. I would have thought that you as a businessman would have wanted to ensure that there was no possibility of you being in a position to trade at any point by ensuring that you had as much in place as soon as possible. It’s true that the CdS will not be the correct card for British citizens after Brexit but it has been made very clear that anyone holding one will be able to exchange it for the appropriate card as and when necessary.

Again you are changing your words. You made it sound as though people had to declare themselves as domiciled. Once again your posts and use of language are confusing. Your use of the word domiciled is particularly confusing because it’s a word used by both the French and British governments for residence and tax issues but is used differently by each country.

I’ve just reread your post where you wrote, ‘it seems to say that a CDS will not be obligatory.”
All you are saying now is contradicting that commment, I suggest you go back and edit it.
I know exactly where I live and where I pay taxes but it’s not me who is muddying the water with irrelevant jargon.

I am not changing my words.
Your posts muddy the waters! The word domicile has the same meaning in both languages as does residence & address.
French dictionary definition - “Lieu où quelqu’un habite en permanence ou de façon habituelle ; résidence”.

I hope that nobody is taken in by your false news. I suggest you research the use of domiciled in context as used by the tax authorities. Once again you ‘advice’ is flawed.

What do YOU think domicile means??
You also to be confused about my posts too - my first just gave a link to the Ministry of Interior notice & a way they check that you live here - nothing false there.
My next just quoted (not made up) the bit that says that a CDS is not currently obligatory. This is from the same source. No advice there…
You then seem to struggle with the concept of knowing where your principle residence (aka “domicile”) actually is. For me it is easy as I submit my annual tax return to the french, not the british, tax people. I posess no other property in another country that I spend time at.
Are you saying that you do not have to have your principle residence in France to be considered domiciled? Live here, use the resources but pay tax to another country? Yes, I AM saying that you must declare yourself domiciled here. How else could you qualify for a CDS or the new version of it?
You will be required to prove at least one of the following:-
• Either exercise a professional activity (or have exercised such an activity and be registered as a jobseeker);
• Either have sufficient resources for oneself and one’s family, as well as health insurance;
• Either study or vocational training, and have health insurance;
• Either be a family member of a Briton living in France before 1 January 2021 and having a right of residence (spouse, child, ascendant, partner, partner or family member supported or part of the household of a British national).

None of the above are available to holiday makers.

In common parlance much the same as where you live.

But there is a specific legal definition which is different to simply the country where you live/pay your taxes. IIRC this was discussed a while back.

2 Likes

Mark, the only problem was in the tense you used. No doubt you meant “is not currently obligatory” but what you actually said was

and unless Brexit is cancelled, it seems almost certain that it “will be”.
I don’t think anyone’s taking issue with anything else.

1 Like

It may be that a chimney sweep in Chris’s local Tesco superstore advertises her/his services :hole::point_up::new_moon_with_face: on the community notice board that many Tesco stores provide as a free service to customers.

That’s what came to my mind when I read her post.

Please tell me, who do I declare the fact that I’m domiciled here to?
I’m pleased to see that you are now contradicting your original post, hopefully it won’t confuse too many people.

“Seems to say” is because that what it seems to say to me. It would be different if I had written that “It says that…” as a statement of fact. My understanding may be incorrect in which case any normal person would just disagree & express thier view rather than suggest I edit my opinion. This is a discussion, after all.
As Brexit has yet to occur I don’t think anyone, especially you, is in a position to tell us what will be required in the currently undetermined future. All we can do is wait & see.
Should it happen though, the government here have said that a type of CDS will be required at a time & format to be sorted later so brits can either apply to an already overloaded system to get the current version which will need exchanging or apply for a new one if & when it is introduced. Either will require the applicant to be domiciled in France rather than just be a visitor.
None of the above should be considered advice & only represents my opinion. It is not a statement either. Does not contain jargon or false news.
" who do I declare the fact that I’m domiciled here to?" Every time you register a car you are asked for this. Driving licences, etc. In fact, any time that you are asked to provide proof of domicile. Have you never done any of the above?

Thank you, Anna, you are quite right, & nicely pointed out.

Ah OK, makes sense up to a point. Although how it fits into the context of this thread is still mysterious to me.

Well to a whole raft of organisations surely - your healthcare caisse, the fisc, ANTS if you register a car, CAF if you get family benefits, your bank if they ask.
As opposed to, avoiding all red tape in order to avoid having to declare the fact.

In the context of possible thought-disorder, Google “knight’s-move thinking”… :thinking: