In The Local today - it WILL become compulsory to hold a Carte de Séjour after Brexit

I will need to wait for CdS “until we know the final outcome of brexit” said the lovely person at Perigueux:)
I could take a rendezvous to change my driving licence…in April :open_mouth:
Continuing to twiddle my thumbs…:rofl::wink:

@anon27586881

The non sequitur of chimney sweeps relates to a post way back from paul, about having ordered one while he was in Tesco’s in the UK. But as far as I know Paul is a UK resident with a second home here so totally irrelevant to Chris’s concerns.

Thank you for you essay. I’m sure you enjoyed writing it. It does however evade two points. To pertinent points.
The first is your post, post number 111 in a thread that had been running for nine days, stated, ‘… a CDS will not be obligatory.’ That statement is incorrect as anyone who read the attached document will have quickly seen. This was pointed out, the obvious mistake being the tense used. You could have gone back and edited the statement or qualified it by adding (EU) in the appropriate place but you chose not too. You are happy for the misinformation to stand.
You then insisted on carrying on about people needing needing to declare themselves as domiciled as though it was a physical task like a registration. That brings us into the second point. Most of the members of this site are British citizens and will be affected by Brexit. Up until now moving to and becoming resident in France has been incredibly straightforward as, I believe, France is the only EU country where residents do not have to register their presence, declare themselves domiciled, in your parlance, they just have to fulfil their obligations most obviously to do with healthcare, taxation and vehicle licensing. That is quite different to Germany where I lived before where it’s impossible to rent a flat, register a car or work until you have a certificate of residence. I like most other residents have taken the necessary steps and have a perfect set of paperwork to prove that I have the right to take up my right to live in France offered to me as U.K. citizen because Britain is a member of the EU. That right to freedom of movement will end very soon and completely opposite to your statement I, along with the other people in my position, )possibly including yourself but for all I know perhaps you are Irish or have French citizenship), WILL need a CdS.
Your explanations became even more convoluted because you chose to rely on a word that is well known for causing confusion, domiciled. It’s a fact that for residency and taxation it has quite different definitions when used by HMRC or the French tax system. To compound the confusion you went in about declaring that you are domiciled when no such declaration exists.

1 Like

It goes back to Chris Franklyn and fears about language skills, I reckon…

I think @anon88169868 was merely mentioning that his French is improving/he is making an effort… as he organized the French Chimney Sweep for his home in France… by Textmessage… in French… while shopping in Tesco (UK)… :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Not sure if @Chris_Franklyn appreciated/understand his achievement… :thinking:

Well done Paul !

Ah… residence v domicile… that old chestnut :chestnut:

David @Aquitaine , you are, of course, correct that for UK tax purposes these are completely different concepts. It has been discussed several times on here before but I think this is the most recent one.

It’s a great read if you’re having trouble sleeping.

I am happy for my interpretation, right or wrong, to stand. I will not hide it just because you want me to. I’m sure that others will have their own view on my post but are not so anal about it as you are.
I have not " insisted on carrying on about people needing needing to declare themselves as domiciled as though it was a physical task like a registration" but I did mention it. After all, if you want a cds they are not given out like confetti to anyone who asks for one, there are, I assume, certain requirements that will need to be established such as your right to have one. As a cds confirms one’s right to be here it would probably be a requirement that you are domiciled. Very few of us spend exacly half a year in each country so there is no point in going in to detail about the subtleties.
In order to be considered as domiciled you will need to be in the french fiscal system & this would require one to register with the tax people. They do not come to you so yes, you would need to declare your presence. To get a carte vitale you need to apply, or declare your presence, & so on. To register a car one of the documents required is proof of domicile. Not residence, not address. The word chosen is deliberate,
However, if you wish to continue your rather pointless dissection on everything I post then feel free.

I’d be happy if you’d edit your misleading post. I’m not interested in you digging any bigger holes . I now take everything you write with a big pinch of salt. Once bitten is enough, three times recently is too much.