Increasing internet access speed with 4G mobile router

I’m no expert but does this give any clues?

This image seems to have some significance to your setup:

The positioning looks better on the soffit - less “clumsy”

The results seem “fair” against both RSRP and RSRQ values.

But worse in the new position :man_shrugging:

Good question, as far as I can tell there are two that I could connect to and both may be blocked by the house itself. I’m not sure how big an issue that is but I’ll see what I can do to get it higher

Actuall just looked again at the map and it seems there are more than I initially thought for Bouygues and I should be able to see most of them.

marginally, but that could be due to other factors and signal stability perhaps. Our 4G with the B528 router comes and goes regularly during the course of a day. Mostly ~20Mbps but often drops to <5 only to recover a short time later.

1 Like

Which are overall slightly worse, if anything.

If the mast is behind the house (i.e the roof is still between the mast and the antenna) I’d try to get as high as possible - above the ridge tiles a least. If the mast is actually the other side so you have line of sight anyway stick the antenna back where you had it (but you could experiment with getting it about 2m higher and see if that helps).

1 Like

I’m going to need a longer cable, cat5e or better will suffice for PoE right?

Is it cat5e supplied with the kit? cat5e should work. Is it shielded? If you don’t have a longer cable, get an RJ45 to RJ45 extender
For reference, where do you have the Bouygues router when you first got it? in the vicinity of the window where the aerial now is?

Yes it’s cat 5e the cable that came with it. It was on that windowsill

1 Like

wooden framed house?

No it’s stone, timber clad

1 Like

Our neighbours periodically wave guns at each other and the police get called so I doubt anyone will object!

1 Like

Hope they don’t wave them at James when he is up on the apex of the roof :astonished::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Good morning everyone,
Delighted to be back down in France after a long absence. Read with interest all the information regarding internet access via 4g networks. We use to be with UK Telecom and had a copper line into the apartment at Montalbert.
Bought an unlocked 4g wifi router, a 130Gb data sim and it all worked brilliantly first time. So pleased especially as it’s half the price that we use to pay, and is not on a contract. My plan is to let it lapse when we aren’t here. I assume that each time I buy another data sim they will send a new one, rather than reactivating the old sim?
Cheers,
Duncan

1 Like

You should have paperwork with the data sim which tells you how to top up your credit, usually by accessing your account online.

I’d be very surprised if the sim provider would bear the cost of sending you replacement sims every time as I’ve never heard a PAYG sim provider that did this.

1 Like

You don’t mention the supplier - UK or French?
For UK I have no idea if the ongoing mechanics of renewal but often with French PAYG SIM providers (such as leclerc as an example) the SIM can be topped up on line before the allowance is either used up or expires which leaves you directly in control of affairs without the need to keep changing the SIM, which seems a bit “archaic” in modern times.

Don’t be silly… we all know that’s the Management software function which gives access to the Hamburger menu :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Had another go at getting this higher to see if there is any point, it’s probably three meters higher than previously and clears the apex by at least a meter

Previous results;

New location results;

New speed results from today 18th

It doesn’t 4eally mean that much to me, but I reckon you’ve solved the problem by putting it higher :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Has the speed improved using something like fast.com over what you achieved with the Bouygues 4G router when you first got it?
I guess that could be the acid test…
EDIT: I see you’ve posted that now :roll_eyes:

I didn’t use that previously only speedtest but I get this