Inflation rising in France too

Electricity prices are going up here by 8% next February so whilst inflation overall is lower than many other European countries it will keep increasing to much higher levels than we’ve seen for decades.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve had a look at that graph Graham and the UK is in the 5 - 9.9% band.

1 Like

It’s a compulsory add-on. :wink:

Much French electricity is either atomic or hydro electric and perhaps less prone to price shocks?

I stand corrected, if that’s the case. The colour palette was not helpful unfortunately.

Thunder and lightning now as well. Must be half term :roll_eyes:
Izzy x

1 Like

the wrath of Thor being unleashed on the Brexit frats :rofl:
reference

1 Like

Solar is the answer :grin: free yourself from 3rd parties controlling what you spend :grin:

This evening’s article is interesting, 2 identical trolley-loads of shopping 12 months apart…
(and I’m somewhat surprised to find that bio cucumbers did not go up in price…).

https://www.ouest-france.fr/leditiondusoir/2022-05-31/avec-l-inflation-le-prix-des-courses-a-t-il-vraiment-bondi-on-a-verifie-avec-nos-tickets-de-caisse-a2b04e56-992a-4ca2-91d3-81abb9f4ba89

I agree, is that because the populous are more likely to react badly to things deteriorating, Gilet Jaune style? In other words the Government is held to account constantly, not just at elections.

1 Like

Yes, I remember that the weather always improved the day after we went back to school after the summer holidays.

1 Like

That thought occurred to me too John.
Further, the executive know that, once they leave office, their actions will be scrutinised mercilessly and if found wanting, the Justice system awaits…
Witness in recent times, N Sarkozy and his PM F Fillon.

1 Like

We’ve noticed everything has edged up.

I’ve had a few quotes and it’s still expensive IMO. The difficulty is that as one gets older the amortisation period gets shorter :roll_eyes:

is that something akin or close to rigor mortis?

rigor amortis?

1 Like

perhaps :rofl:

A stiff charge.

2 Likes

That is a good question. What is your view? Mine is that a government’s job is to govern the country in the best interests of the citizens, which necessarily involves listening to and engaging with the citizens so that it understands their needs. In an ideal world it should hold itself to account. But I am sure that knowing your citizens will react very robustly if you are perceived to be failing in your job, is a good incentive not to let it get to that point. The UK on the other hand is led by the media to brand “protestors” as cranks which is very convenient for the government because they can treat them as nuisances rather than taking them seriously and engaging with them. What more could the Insulate Britain protestors have done (am I right in thinking they were the ones who glued themselves to motorways?) and as far as I can see they achieved absolutely nothing. And I believe that there is legislation going through parliament to limit the right to protest. That does not seem healthy to me. Occasionally an individual such as Marcus Rashford will stand up and has to be taken seriously because of who he is, but that seems to be the only way the UK government can be made to listen.

2 Likes