Info Covid-19 Masks and other stuff

IF YOU WEAR THEM PROPERLY! Walking round I see so many people taking masks on and off from the outside, tucking them under their chin, handling them and touching their face, leaving them hanging beside their face from one ear loop, and generally destroying the protection they may offer.

If whilst wearing a mask it is contaminated by virus, then handling the mask, moving it around your face and touching your face will contaminate you. So a mask may actually offer less protection than nothing as it encourages people to be complacent.

Not all masks are made equal Mike. The size of particle they filter out is different. We used FFP2s since the outbreak until last week when I visited a hospital and saw they were using FFP1s. So we’ve switched to those in the basis if everyone else is using a mask then the risk is lower. Cloth ones provide pretty well no protection but might protect others if you cough or sneeze, and some of them are pretty.
Washing your hands is still vital in case you touch your eyes.

https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/blog/what-s-the-difference-between-ffp1-ffp2-and-ffp3-face-masks

that’s an interesting visual… because “those who are supposed to know” have said that masks (the ordinary ones) do not stop stuff coming in but can stop stuff going out…

I reckon the safest way is still for everyone to do their bit… wear a mask (of whatever sort) and steer clear of folk… (ie don’t get too close)… :upside_down_face: :roll_eyes:

but your graphic shows that FFP3s offer higher levels of protection.
If you were going to change, wouldn’t you go for the higher level?

Real masks, those with an FFP rating do stop"stuff" coming in Stella. Just different sized stuff. They’re part of PPE. When I was in hospital with flu over Christmas all the staff, from cleaners to consultants, wore FFP2s when they came into my room, until the transmission period was over. On discharge I was, obviously , still a bit knackered (a medical term) and about to fly back to Nice so my consultant gave me a bunch of FFP2s which we used until recently.

Mmm… I’ve read that folk are being asked to leave the top-rating masks for those who really need then… docs/carers/folk with lung problems etc etc…
you were give some by the consultant… but unless you still medically need them you might think of leaving them to those who do and who might have trouble locating them… :relaxed:

FFP3s are so horrid to wear, I feel sorry for medical staff who have to wear them for hours. I have a couple (given to me way before this crisis) just in case OH comes down with virus, but find the FFP2s given to me by my MT much more comfortable.

Is France now in a situation where there are sufficient FFP masks for all health workers?

No Graham, First of all because FFP3s are a bit of an overkill for a visit to Carrefour :slight_smile: but also because the medical staff last Christmas were using FFP2s when I was using nothing. So they provide good protection.
IMO our local hospital’s logic in handing out FFP1s was that if everyone in there was using at least FFP1s then that was sufficient for a short visit. So now we use FFP1s for Carrefour, Mr. Bric etc.

We’re off to Ikea later for plastic bags, a big day out.

A very good question to which I have no answer Mike. I can only assume that if they are available commercially then the professionals’ needs have been met. I have not tried to buy FFP2s, only FFP1s

Ah, that explains it - and the post by @JaneJones - thanks.

Is this close enough for you, Bruce?

Our FFP2s are have elastic bands that go over the head, I don’t know if they are all like that. Our FFP1s are round the ear ones which are much handier. Since half the problem is insufficient sealing between the mask and your face maybe over the head straps are fundamental to the improved performance of FFP2s?

Just as an aside, amd revealing my paranoia, the speed that everything here is returning to “normal” would indicate to me that a second wave os likely in the autumn or winter. I hope I’m wrong.

The model isn’t wearing a mask. Is this the Dominic Cummings version?

2 Likes

So is my wife wasting her time making hundreds of cloth masks at the request of the mairie?

Good point, another case of do as I say, not as I do! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I wouldn’t put it that way Mike. I’m sure they give some protection to others but IMO it’s marginal. The bloody virus is just too, too small.

I confess I have a problem with masks.

Outwith a properly fitting FFP3 mask and eye protection (which is a pretty strange look in public) wearing one does not protect the wearer very much, but it can provide protection for others in the vicinity.

So, surgical masks don’t work unless everyone wears them.

Which means - French approach :+1: gets my vote :slight_smile:

UK approach - well, non-approach, there isn’t even “advice” so not more than a handful are bothering which means donning a mask outside mostly just wastes one of my mask stock.

Bloody clown UK government :rage:

1 Like

Yes Tracy thank you, but in French. Does such a t-shirt exist?

I agree!