Info Covid-19 Masks and other stuff

The cloth ones can be washed and re-used.
I imagine that non-reusable types must be incinerated, otherwise they could be a source of infection if not properly disposed of. I hear reports of used masks being dropped in the streets.

According to ISO EN 14683. These are only bacterial filters, not viral filters. Viral filter masks are very uncomfortable in all respects. The only people with those are generally the military. ie. part of their Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare equipment.

One for the ladies. :rofl:

3 Likes

Photo of myself with washable municipal face mask, made locally, issued by my commune…Tesson, Charente Maritime…to all, in all households. It fits well, is tight fitting and give me reassurance.

I shall wear this whenever I go out, for whatever reason, and also wearing a “Wear a Mask” t-shirt.

Also shown here is the specification.

1 Like

Interesting video on home-made masks and the best fit etc
What we’ve learnt after making 167,000 masks

The ‘ home made ‘ masks will do a job as part of a bigger picture they will offer a degree of protection,but also serve as a reminder to maintain social distancing,regularly wash hands etc

3 Likes

I think that’s a good point Eddie. If I see anyone with a mask I make extra sure to keep my distance. My homemade mask that is just an old sock is, apparently, fine for the briefest of social contacts in a shop for example.
The new test and trace (the government have dropped the track part) system in the UK will only require someone to self-isolate if they have been in close contact with someone with Covid-19 for more than 15 minutes.
Let’s see how well that works after the Cumming’s nonsense.
Izzy x

2 Likes

For those of you who are taking this mask thing seriously, I thought you might be interested to know …
I heard a professor from (I think) Southampton University on the BBC Today programme the other day. He was talking about the anti-microbial properties of copper. Among other things, copper ions destroy viruses. They are looking at using copper film on touch surfaces. There is an interesting development going on (at the moment mainly in the US) incorporating copper into the material in masks. That turns a mask into something that protects the wearer as well as the other person.
These masks are not cheap, but they are masks to keep, not throw away.
If you are interested to know more, try googling copper masks.

Locally here I must say evrybody seems very good at maintaining their distance and where a bottleneck point make this marginal I have seen the practice of turning the face away from the other person.
DEUX-SEVRES. Le 29/05/2020, le département compte 8 patients hospitalisés dont 2 en réanimation. Ce même jour, 60 patients sont de retour à leur domicile. A cette date, on déplore dans ce département 20 décès depuis le début de la crise.

A mask only helps you protect others from an infection you spread. It does little or nothing to protect you from an infection others are spreading.

absolutely… which is why it is a good idea if everyone wears one…in proximity to others… keep the spray confined within the mask as much as may be possible, is surely better than bare faces… but this is not what is happening… so we must all take as much care as we can… :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Stella,

But that is not what is being promoted.

Masks do little to protect you (face screens do more) some facts are needed to explain how nose/mouth masks work.

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

Hi Grahame
you’ve obviously missed all the info… :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

On a lighter note:

1 Like

We will be wearing face screens when I go back to onsite work on Monday (as well as continuing online for those who won’t be back).

I think you need to see some of the very clear diagrams that have been circulating which show how universal mask wearing helps to give a good level of protection to everybody. Wearing a mask yourself does play an important part in your protection.

Does that mean you don’t care about protecting others when you returned the mask provided by your commune?
Isn’t that somewhat selfish?

I think those diagrams, while admirable, overplay the protection the wearer gets from a mask.

1 Like

Oh my… I thought the general-mask wearer was protecting others… thus if everyone wears a mask… everyone is doing their best to protect others…
that’s certainly why communes have been constructing and distributing masks to everyone…

1 Like