Installation of Log Burners

Hi Paula,

We live near Jussey. I am familiar with Vesoul. There is a company which sell and install locally but are quite expensive. We have seen some very reasonably priced ones in Mr Bricolage etc. so was hoping to buy and get someone to install them.

Regards

Hello,
We live near Jussey.
Regards

I would have thought there would be loads of qualified people close to youā€¦if not in Jussy itself then in surrounding places. Look for a chauffagiste who is qualified to install wood stoves. Many of them are also plumbers.

Curious how far off track this thread has wanderedā€¦ and in which direction.
To get back to the point; here in the Var I didnā€™t find it so easy to find a competent and reliable installer; after heā€™d banked my cheque, it took an online campaign to persuade mine to return and look at the stove, which leaked smoke as soon as I lit it. (He tried to hide his removal of the packing material whick heā€™d left in the chimney!) The same dealer/installer certainly didnā€™t offer me any real advice on lighting/using the fire, but there is a lot of very helpful advice on the websites of UK dealers. One tip alone makes a huge improvement to the effectiveness of your installation. Most of the heat output, from even the most efficient stove, is from the chimney, so the more of that pipe which is exposed, the cosier youā€™ll be!

Whatā€™s the weather like in the Var where you are? Where we are, and most likely where the OP is, the winters are very, very cold and wood stoves are of major importance. So there is quite a bit of local expertise as just about every house has one. And many of them are the sole form of heating so are critical. I doubt a chauffagiste would last long round here is he did rubbish work. Of course always worth asking friends and neighbours to check reputations, or indeed any house with a brand new steel chimney pipe.

Whoever you use to install a log burnerā€¦ do make sure they are Registered and Insured to do the work.

Make sure you get a written quote and an Invoice - which clearly show the Siret/Siren numb erā€¦

Hello Jane,

The Var is a lot milder, but here inland it can go below zero overnight - we get snow once or twice/year, but only once in 7 years has it lasted longer than a few hours.

I use my woodstove (10kw) to heat the whole house, which it does effectively and cheaply; I use 4 stƩre/year for my 3-bedroom hovel.

1 Like

Round here we go down to -20ā€¦but usually about -5 for several months. Woodstoves are important! Also why building a good relationship with chauffagiste is worthwhile. I love ours, if we have a big problem is is usually there within the hour.

1 Like

Exactly, Mrs Jones made negative comments about the Perigord and as you have confirmed there are four of them. She may well have disliked the area she visited but she is being very harsh about the region in general which is well known for its outstanding countryside, architecture and history. I was hoping that she would provide some more, helpful detail but Iā€™m now afraid that her comments probably have something to do with her trying to be clever and criticising the fact that the Dordogne, 24, has been popular with English speaking visitors and residents for centuries. It has been popular for good reason.

2 Likes

Sounds like youā€™ve taken certain comments very much to heartā€¦or maybe itā€™s just your sense of humour.
Iā€™d like to think itā€™s the latter ; otherwise, youā€™re coming across as a bit of an old cumudgeon, who gets his Jockeys in a jumble about nothingā€¦
Iā€™m sure the Perigord(s) will survive all the ā€œnegative stuffā€

5 Likes

Well Iā€™m glad I donā€™t live where you areā€¦:laughing: I didnā€™t move to France to freeze my bits off :cold_face: If I wanted that I would have stayed in the UK!

2 Likes

What was the negative comment about the Perigord? I just said I donā€™t want to live thereā€¦and I donā€™t want to live in the Somme, the Bas-Rhin or IsĆØre either, amongst other places. We each prefer certain climates, landscapes and so on - which doesnā€™t mean weā€re negative about them. I donā€™t want to live in the Vatican, but it has some glorious architecture.

2 Likes

My home dƩpartement!

Sorry if Iā€™ve upset your sensitivities but sometimes plain speaking is needed. Mrs Jones insulted an area I and other people love. She also made a very basic error. I asked her for more detail and she evaded a polite question. Seems a bit petty to me. To start with I was interested to know here reasons, now I know what her problem is Iā€™m happy that she wonā€™t be in the area next time Iā€™m there.

Good grief.

Oh get over yourself Dan, really :grin: pistols at dawn next is it?

1 Like

Lily @Lily and I will beā€¦so we will want you on your best behaviour :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
:rofl:

1 Like

Got to love the irony of someone who doesnā€™t live in France telling someone who does why they should or should not like a particular area

1 Like

Still waiting for you to pinpoint the negative comments (in the plural) that I am supposed to have made about the Perigord, as well as the supposed basic error. Always prepared to accept I have made a mistake or apologise for errors, but I really fail to see which precise words have got you so exercised. You surely canā€™t be telling me where I should want to liveā€¦

1 Like

Do you know that J Jones likes to be known as Mrs Jones ?

1 Like