Internet woe

And I’d like very much to get "back to Windows 7!

I don’t really need any of this “fluffy” new-stuff. I need a damn fine search-mechanism and that of “Google” in not necessarily the best. And I suspect that the change up the speed-ladder (to 5G) has had a very deleterious effect on 4G bit-speed. But also the new versions of Google could be having an effect as well.

Try DuckDuckGo as an alternative…

1 Like

We used Ubuntu for decades but for some reason himself moved us over to Linux Mint.

Possibly when the interface changed into something “modern” and therefore (to some of us) tedious to use. Mint, I think had a more straightforward interface but Graham the Guru will put me right on that :smiley:

@AngelaR there you go…

Personally, I’ll stick with Ubuntu though. I think the support platform is superior.

1 Like

Thank you Graham - knew we could rely on you! Looks like Tory’s OH has his finger on the pulse :smiley:

1 Like

hopefully not her carotid too tightly :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

I have and yes it is fine. Not necessarily better than Google, however. That depends upon who is taking ALL internet files and actually dissecting them and storing the words that become researchable.

That requires a great, great deal of file-storage capacity …

I have and yes it is fine. Not necessarily better than Google, however. That depends upon who is taking ALL internet files and actually dissecting them and storing the words that become researchable.

Which, again, means that very-very-very large file-storage capacity is necessary …

Is Dogpile still around? I seem to remember that sat on top of Google and Yahoo and the like - used to give good results. I must say I don’t expect to get anything decent from any of the search engines any more since they became a lot more commercial… (mind you, that was an awfully long time ago - my long term memory is better than the short term one these days :smiley: )

yes
https://private.dogpile.com/

1 Like

For what it’s worth from here: Best web browsers 2021

1 Like

No Blackbox WM or IceWM then? :wink:

Used Mint for years, still have a fondness for it, introduced my wife to it when we met, but have more recently switched to Elementary OS. Still using Ubuntu on a couple of PIs, and a Dell portable.

I still mourn the demise of XP.

XP is/was good as well. XP or W 7 or 8. Windows 10 makes me want to hit the computer.

1 Like

Not sure why people dislike Windows 10 so much ?

pheromones maybe, makes me want to throw the computer across the room.

Remote telemetry & privacy concerns, forced updates and forced acquisition of a Microsoft account are probably somewhere near the top of most people’s lists.

As an operating system it’s actually not that bad.

1 Like