Introduction of carte de séjour language requirements

Info here in English :

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/france-planning-to-make-language-test-mandatory-for-carte-de-sejour-residence-permit/?fbclid=IwAR3OYkVd64Dvm-E42IhNTeoh773cVeBadR03STTmaeORlcECFN0ArYVk4Vo

1 Like

Not got through the legal process yet….

however would certainly help control some of the negativity about immigrants who wish to be residents (rather than just visas).

1 Like

I heard about this for the first time yesterday through a friend on another forum. He and his wife were looking to move to France, but while he’s fluent, his wife is not, and it might be enough to stop their move.

Will this affect WARP holders wishing to renew?

It’s only a proposal, to debate.
Anyone with a WARP card that hasn’t reached a very minimum of fluency when they have to renew, and I imagine that’ll only be the basic requirement, well, just not cricket, is it.

2 Likes

I agree. I was appalled at the number of my fellow countrymen who only spoke in English when collecting their CdS in Bordeaux at the same time as me.

2 Likes

Yes, bit of a shame, if they’ve been over here for a couple of years and they’re still at the point at the article and ger viewdray sar stage. Bit different if arrived at last moment.

Why? Can still come over on a renewable visa, you just have to learn French during the first 5 years here to become a permanent resident.

:face_with_monocle:. ??

Je voudrais ça. En français sans accent :joy:

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be “ger ver sar? The conditional would be the next stage perhaps?

42c594705b5b803f4d223400e625f999

4 Likes

When we signed for the house a translator was drafted to help. She had a broad sowf lundun accent that was completely and fully present in her French, despite which she seemed to make herself understood.

Learning French to the required standard won’t happen for her, and it’s pointless pretending it will - or at least that’s what I expect the explanation is (I wasn’t asking).

I hope one day to have sufficient functional French to get by in normal day to day stuff, but I’m never going to pass exams.

I know 3 Brit couples that have lived full time in France at least a decade each and can barely say hello/goodbye/order a drink in French.

More chance of that Galilean carpenter showing up again than these folks passing even the most basic French exam.

They learn ger viewdray doolay, or ang café olé seal viewplay as units at school so I wouldn’t be surprised.

1 Like

The reverse side of the problem is that whilst I can easily understand “Deux comprimés trois fois par jour au milieu du repas”, I find “Deuxcompriméstroisfoisparjouraumilieudurepas” totally incomprehensible.
I wonder whether such ‘machine gun’ speech is just a fashion amongst the young, or is it done to cover up their own difficulties in pronouncing words correctly. Either way, my ear to brain connection simply does not function at such a speed.

4 Likes

I think that’s the problem and why this is being thought about. I came across it on facebook, posted by a friend who knows plenty of people who live here and fall into the same group (anglophone bubble).

I posted it just as a heads-up, not to alarm anybody as I’m sure it’ll be a very basic level requirement :wink:

Well nationality is B1, which is not fluency by any means. And I think there is a requirement already for A2 for some residency issue? And friends of mine teach refugees who are required to do X00 hours of language tuition

If you class young as under 70’ish, then maybe! And surely most french know how to pronounce the words in daily use? Might stumble, as do English people, with complex words they don’t use often.

1 Like

Nothing in that to frighten the horses, however, there are some people, my wife included, who are totally unable to learn any language, unless from birth. Perhaps, if this were introduced to include long term residents too when renewing a CdS, provision would be made for those, like her, who cannot speak due to chronic illness. Even in her case, except with difficulty, with her own language. But who knows what a future government would do? There was a time long, long, ago that I couldn’t concieve of anyone daft enough to take Britain out of the EU. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

Many of the references I’ve seen specifically refer to the carte de séjour pluriannuelle. While it is obviously a generic term, it’s also obviously a specific TdS category, the carte de séjour pluriannuelle‘s I’ve seen literally have that written on them where ours say ‘Article 50 yadda yadda’, so it makes me wonder whether far from everyone this will be only for those newcomer brits who have those specific cards, and other non-EU people. It would be rather like going back and making all those over 60s who got nationality with the language test exemption now have to do one because it’s the current requirement, it’s moving the goalposts which while something I’d expect from the British governments of late is not what I’d expect from the french, in the case of WARP residents that’s all the more so given they have the EU keeping a watchful eye over the shoulder of every country when it comes to brexit and British citizens rights. Given its so early it’s all complete conjecture but I would be very surprised if it turned out to be as big a thing as some of these reports are suggesting.

4 Likes

My partner would be in that same situation. A polymath, good at so many things, absolutely no ability to pick up more than very, very basic almost pidjin French. Efforts over years and years and really really trying.

Then there’s the case of someone older who may have barriers just due to age. I think the formerly applicable exemption for applicants over a certain age was fair and reasonable.

1 Like