Is it possible to "Modernise"an Address?

It is down to your commune how the streets, house numbers are named.

We used to be simple named as M. et <,e …, LeVillage. Everything found us with problem.
We have more than one property in the village and tagged the EDF etc. records accordingly.

Until the village post office closed and the utiity companies insisted on number(name), and street.

We have had delivery companies not delivering because the address is “incomplete” but this is usually due to drivers reaching the end of their rounds and not having time to deliver ( they are paid per package and only get paid extra if the non-delivery is not their fault)!

Ah, yes, I see the problem…

This is a common problem, I had this with DHL returning my new passport.

Hi Jane :wave:t3:
Why did you have to return a new passport? I’ve never heard of this before. :confused:
Was there a spelling error or other mistake?

Had a surprise visit by the mayor today. Personally delivering our house number sign. Accompanied by his secretary and another helper to fix the sign to the house. Quelle surprise!
I love France! We did not even expect to get a number in our Lieu Dit. Also were asked if we would like super fast fibre optic internet. Of course we would love super fast internet…

1 Like

ok delivering my new passport!

1 Like

OK, I see…just me being thick! :laughing:

Not thick at all, just scrupulously careful!:+1:

And polite, of course :hugs:

1 Like

We are the only house on our road in our village, although the road continues in both directions to different villages. We have a Lieu Dit address and have recently been given a new address comprising of a number and a ‘track /road’ called Impasse Lieu dit name. The main road is also named in 3 different place as the route d Lieu Dit address. The tumbledown cottage next door also has a number but no-one would ever find it as the house is metres away from the road, as is ours. It must have cost a fortune to name all the roads and alleys as well as the numbering. The Lieu Dit address has always been sufficient in the past.

My road isn’t even a road, it is a chemin communal and goes only to my house - good luck to them if they want to number it :laughing:

It seems that this a nation-wide work-in-progress then. I don;t think Aveyron is on the leading edge of national reform :wink:
I’ll wait until the change arrives. My guess is our addresses will be updated before we see the fibre-optic broadband :grin:

It is a total waste of money, as are the amount of road signs which have proliferated down our little lane. We have four houses and we all know when we have arrived at the D17.

I just come back to the point I made earlier - I would rather an ambulance came straight to our, now uniquely numbered house (also at the bottom of a chemin rural, but with the number at the top where it meets the road) in an emergency than have it fart about trying to find us among neighbouring properties with the same lieu-dit. Of course, for the moment this isn’t on google etc, but will be in next to no time.

2 Likes

Hello vero
I live on a voire communale which i thought did not have a name but recently i applied for an electrical connection and EDF aske for the cadatral (which is free on the gouv.cadastral site). The cadastral named the road “voire communale No. 8 dite de lieu Larrats”. The cadstral also shows the parcel and section number so i gave this all to EDF. A nice Enlish speaking lady said they use La Poste address databank and it could only be “'Barcugnan.village, Lieu dit Larrats”'. As there is also a village called Barcugnan, people will go there and not find me. I am not in a village not even a hameau and am the only building on the road. So my next assignment is to get La Poste to change their database and the marie to put up a road name pole jack

But Larrats is not the name of the road, it is the name of the place that the road goes through. The name of the road is Voie communal no. 8, or as it might called in the UK, the C8.
It would be logical to call the road by the name of the place but I am not sure a private individual can officially give a new name to a road? The municipal council might want to call it something else.

1 Like

EDF are a bit stupid when it comes to addresses. Ours is an 11 year old house with a linky. EDF insist that we do not actually live at the address we do, but at another address in the village on a different road. That’s because it was the address that was (mistakenly) used when the linky was installed at the new house. On top of that, the address that they insist we live at is an actual house in the village. They also have an EDF address that is different to the address they live in. Confused ? What’s important of course is the PDL in the linky, which does match our bills. We chose online billing partly because if we didn’t then our bills would go to the other house. We attempted to get EDF to change the address, but they wouldn’t.

Back in 2019 I predicted that we would get official house numbers before fibre. I was so wrong.
We had fibre installed early this year but still bo idea what our house number is, or will be. I get the impression from our Mairie that they really don’t want to get involved with it; they know where everyone lives, so why bother?
It is getting to be a pain because the like of DHL and FedEx cannot understand the concept. No number, no delivery in so far as nistribution centres outside if France refuse to pass the package on due to an “incomplete address”. I now use any number in order to put a vakue in a mandatory House Number field.

I was less than thrilled to find that Leclerc online car hire system cannot cope with house numbers over 2000. Ours is 2380. We need the paperwork for our hire car. I just hope they can deal with it when we pick the car up. Or maybe I shouldn’t worry - if they send in the bailiffs they’ll go to the wrong place! :thinking:

I put a zero as my house number for those sorts of systems, my phone number also usually is the second line of my address though too.

Have you tried putting 2 as the house number then beginning the street name with 380? Should work in France.

In Germany.you’d whack the 2 at the end of the street name and make the house number 380 (as Germany tends to put the street number at the end istr) to get the same effect.

1 Like