Is this a good buy?

My old Asus tablet is on its last legs, no longer can I download and play without wifi my favourite podcasts, only stream them when the livebox is working, and it is very limited in its search capability.

The following on Amazon FR seems extremely cheap, a similar one on Amazon UK is double the price, but is it a good buy?

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0CJNSNW8W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?pd_rd_i=B0CJNSNW8W&pd_rd_w=ftxb7&content-id=amzn1.sym.a65583b8-36db-4b44-b29e-88a5ed95007c&pf_rd_p=a65583b8-36db-4b44-b29e-88a5ed95007c&pf_rd_r=98QDWHDTTWMEP50Y777D&pd_rd_wg=bBZz0&pd_rd_r=272feb09-4e8a-4cfb-ad4c-166a81e7d661&s=computers&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

It looks like a bargain but I’d be very wary about the “quality”. It is a very cheap chinese offering.

That was my worry, but how is a dedicated non-techie to know? Isn’t everything Chinese these days? I am almost surprised I am not fluent in the language simply by osmosis. :astonished:

I have one and it has been fine, the 12gb memory is 6 + 6gb expanded on the system drive.
It streams iPlayer, ITVX, sky.go, netflix perfectly and hasn’t given any problems yet.

Thank you, I think I’ll go for it then. The one on the UK site, admittedly not the same make but probably the same origin, is £180., almost double the price.

Be nice to get back to a proper, though comparatively tiny, keyboard again. Never have taken to touchscreen nonsense, my aim isn’t good enough. :roll_eyes:

Try it for a week, if you don’t like it send it back for a refund.

Good thinking, I am used to sending stuff back, but normally because there is something wrong, not because I simply don’t like it. And it is coming from Amazon, learned my lesson on that score and won’t accept anything less since.

Does it have a sleeptimer mode by any chance? :thinking: :wink:

If not there is probably an App out there

Is the price good? - yes the ÂŁ180 that David mentioned would be about right, even on Aliexpress (where $225 seems to be the going rate).

Is the price too â€‰good? Possibly but as David has spotted the logistics are being handled by Amazon so if ordered there is a good chance it will arrive

Is it a good tablet? Hmmm, even as an Android fan I’ve never been impressed with cheap Android tablets (and I’ve had a couple). Some reviews on YT (unwatched, no idea what they say & the last two seem to be earlier versions of the hardware).

Point taken about the cheapitty, but at that price and the certain possibility of an early return, hard not to take advantage of. Especially as I wouldn’t know good from bad anyway. :blush:

Also I have received an answer to my question on Amazon re sleeptimer as follows:-

vjaceslavs answered:

“Yes. You can set up Power off time, an Power one time.”

Despite the apparent not first language reply, sounds encouraging. :smiley:

1 Like

How would it compare against a Chromebook?

Impossible to say since “A Chromebook” could be anything from a low end 2 core/2 thread Intel CPU such as the Celeron 4020 at the ~£150 mark through to a quad core/8 thread i7-1165G7 in the ~£1350 Asus CB9400CEA, there are Arm and Ryzen offerings as well and there’s even an HP that Amazon UK are offering for £2.2k

:joy: I kind of meant of the same spec that David’s advert showed, sorry I didnt make that clear.

Sorry, I was being a little over pedantic :slight_smile:

I guess a Chromebook of similar specification (at or towards the low end of the market) will almost by definition have similar performance - at that point you are really down to the difference between ChromeOS and Android. Given that this is a tablet first and foremost (notwithstanding the keyboard and mouse with which it is bundled) I’d probably suggest that Android is a better basic fit - but I’ve never used ChromeOS so it’s a bit difficult for me to be definitive on the point.

Bearing in mind that many modern Chromebooks can run Android apps, they might be worth a look. I’ve been considering a Chromebook for a while but the reality is that I use a laptop so rarely that it would really just be for the novelty value.

Me too, hence the question but also for David’s benefit as well. Bought a Chinese phablet a wile back which although it works battery life is pretty bad.

Generally speaking you do get what you pay for, within reason, but there are occasionally good deals that come along. Personally I’m normally quite cautious when it comes to technology specifically, as there’s normally good reason the price is relatively low. Having said that, I’ve now purchased two sets of earbud headphones for about 23€ each and so far, the quality and battery life outstrip other similar branded pairs that I own that were about 6-7 x that price. I originally purchased them as didn’t want to damage the more expensive pairs when I may be doing diy or excercise, but now find myself wearing the cheaper ones more than the others.

If the price is right it can sometimes pay to take the risk, knowing that it may possibly not work out, and at least you haven’t lost alot, and you may not lose out at all if you can return under guarantee if it fails!

1 Like

The battery life is good with this, I wouldn’t recommend it if I didn’t think it was ok :wink::grinning:
I know Amazon ratings have to be taken with a pinch of salt at times, but a 4.8 out of 5 from 490 reviews isn’t bad.

It must have been a leap of faith for me to switch to Firefox, many years ago that I can’t remember when or why, because I understand very little of all this technical stuff and am thus very conservative and reluctant to change of any kind.

When I bought the Asus tablet I didn’t even know it was Android, or that there was such a thing, so you can imagine when I tried to download the routier app, Truckfly, onto my PC I couldn’t understand why it wouldn’t work.

So, here I am with Windows 10 and Android and you can well imagine how the mere mention of something different, like Chromebook, starts all sorts of warning bells ringing in my head. :smiley:

3 Likes

That was the clincher for me, €109, and a return before January 31st if it doesn’t suit, or even later if it doesn’t work. Might as well take the plunge.

@Griffin36

The battery life is good with this, I wouldn’t recommend it if I didn’t think it was ok

That too, icing on the cake to have first hand experience. :smiley:

Re the ratings, yes, to regard with caution, but what I do is search for the odd (or multiple) bad ones to see what can go wrong. Many are just Friday night machines and so shouldn’t ruin the whole reputation as we know that they will have been exchanged.

But it is necessary to read them because sometimes a full 5 stars simply means that there aren’t any at all. :astonished: :rofl: